Page 25 of 25 < 1 2 ... 23 24 25
Topic Options
#1205453 - Mon Sep 10 2018 11:58 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2
Severyn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
Lagom: the swedish art of living a balnced, happy life

Niki Brantmark.

I like this book so far. The philosophy is all about living an un-cluttered life in the home, friendships, love and work. I actually really like it. I discovered that i don't use a lot of things and could make a garage sale and make money and be clutter free too. The main thing is what's important. Family, friends, and passions. No "Stuff"

#1217870 - Thu Jan 24 2019 04:30 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2
Kankurette Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greater Manchester UK
I'm going through a Tiffany Aching phase at the moment and reading Wintersmith. I love her, she's boss. I know they're for teens, BUT PTERRY.

#1218634 - Mon Feb 04 2019 11:14 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
The Song of the Cypress by Tonia Parronchi

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#1218695 - Tue Feb 05 2019 06:04 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2
MaggieG Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wales UK
I've thoroughly enjoyed reading 'The Coroner' series of books by Matthew Hall (who began writing them with the name M.R.Hall and confused many readers who was convinced he was a woman as his eponymous character is a woman). They are set locally, so I recognise many of the locations and can picture exactly where the characters are. I've also had the pleasure of hearing him talk about his writing in a local library. He also wrote the recent tv series 'Keeping Faith', and the Coroner series has been picked up by Canadian television and aired both there and in the UK on a channel which I haven't got, sadly - I think it's Universal (but not in my house...). I recommend them! Sorry if I've gone on a bit...

#1218814 - Wed Feb 06 2019 11:28 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2
tiffanyram Online   FT-cool
Multiloquent

Loc: Tennessee USA
I'm currently reading "Silence" by Shusaku Endo. There's a movie based on it that I think I'll watch when I'm done with the movie. It will be the third book I've read this year. My goal is two read at least two a month this year.

#1218819 - Thu Feb 07 2019 12:07 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
One of the things I've been reading lately are Ngaio Marsh's Inspector Alleyn mysteries. Good golden age mysteries, with better character development than you'd see in, say, Agatha Christie. Some pretty problematic class and race attitudes by today's standards, but not bad for the time when they were written.

Also just read three or four Josephine Tey Inspector Grant mysteries, which are also pretty darn good. The same tendency to "clang" on a modern ear when it comes to class, though.

I've also been re reading Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo's Martin Beck series - police procedurals from Sweden in the sixties. I first read these around the time they came out, when I was in my late childhood/early teens, and felt myself SO sophisticated. They were much more realistically written than the golden age mysteries I'd been reading up to then, with the detectives having sex! Sometimes with other people than their wives!

All three series hold up pretty well - very reflective of the times in which they were written, of course, but still quite solid.

#1220425 - Thu Feb 21 2019 09:51 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2
Multiloquent

I finished reading "Silence" yesterday, and I started reading "Snow Falling in Spring". It's a memoir about growing up in China during the Cultural Revolution. It's not very long and it will be a quick read, but it is interesting. I didn't really know anything about the Cultural Revolution before, but this makes me want to look into it.

#1220522 - Fri Feb 22 2019 04:57 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

That's a good book, if it makes you want to explore the topic further.
I just finished 'Down and Out in Katmandu' by Jennifer S. Alderson and am starting 'Y is for Yesterday' by Sue Grafton. Sadly she never made it to the end of the alphabet.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#1220659 - Sun Feb 24 2019 12:40 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2
Multiloquent

I finished "Snow Falling in Spring" last night, so I picked up "George Washington's Secret Six", which is about the members of Washington's spy ring during the American Revolution.

This isn't something I would have normally picked up for myself, even though it sounds very interesting. There is a used book store that we visit sometimes and get books. For Valentine's Day, they had a small section set up with a few books and movies covered in brown paper. The sign in the section encouraged customers to have a 'blind date' with a book or movie for Valentine's! My daughter and I thought it sounded fun, so I picked a book marked 'History' and she picked 'Young Adult'. So, I'm a little late for our Valentine's blind date, but better late than never, I suppose smile

#1220671 - Sun Feb 24 2019 01:59 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
A public library I know has been doing this for years in February. it's been very successful, people love it.

#1221042 - Wed Feb 27 2019 09:03 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2
looney_tunes Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia
My book club read and discussed Ceridwen Dovey's brilliant "Only the Animals" in January. Yesterday the Head of English in the school where I work told me that she has been booked to come talk to our Year 12 Literature students in May. One of their tasks in the course is to write something inspired by the writing of a designated author, and he asked them to read this book and use it as their source. (For those who haven't read it, it's a collection of ten stories written in the voice of animals who belonged to or were associated with ten different famous writers, and died as a direct result of human activities. Each story evokes the style of the author with whom it is associated.) She will be spending the day running one-on-one sessions with the students, discussing how each one of them has approached the task of writing a story from an animal's perspective, after an introductory session in which she will describe how she went about it.

#1221096 - Thu Feb 28 2019 11:09 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Sounds brilliant LT.

#1221165 - Fri Mar 01 2019 12:35 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
I Wish I could be there!

#1221437 - Sun Mar 03 2019 08:25 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
My son was home for school holidays recently, and had The Travelling Cat Chronicles by Hiro Arikawa with him. He didn't find the time to read a page, but I finished the whole book.

I think it was just what I needed : something tender and loving that restores faith in humankind and some balm for the soul. A sweet, tender story about the relationship between one cat and his human, or one man and his cat, depending on your viewpoint. A tale of respect and love and caring. I enjoyed it thoroughly, probably because it was such a contrast to the way life is currently churning around me, it was pure escapism, romantic, gentle, touching.

#1222701 - Sat Mar 16 2019 05:20 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
Just having a little James A Michener splurge at the moment, finished ALASKA (my favourite), and currently engrossed in the doorstop that is HAWAII.

As always, the accuracy of Michener's research is impressive, the detail and scope of his novels breathtaking. It's disorientating to find oneself back in the real world after spending happy hours plunged in Michener's creations.

Edited by Santana2002 (Sat Mar 16 2019 05:21 AM)

#1222720 - Sat Mar 16 2019 11:18 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2
Dagny1 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alabama USA
Originally Posted By: Santana2002
Just having a little James A Michener splurge at the moment, finished ALASKA (my favourite), and currently engrossed in the doorstop that is HAWAII.

I haven't read all his works, but of the ones I've read, The Source is my favorite. Read it twice and that is rare for me.

#1222765 - Sun Mar 17 2019 12:02 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

I am starting to give new authors a try (interspersed with old favourites).
I am sad to announce that I have completed Sue grafton's last kinsey novel - she only got as far as Y. It's a shame she never got Z written.
Right now I'm reading THe House of Zaronza from the Tales of Corsica series by Venessa Couchman.

The problem with new writers is it makes sense to start at the beginning with their first book. I have been told that my writing becomes better with each book!

#1222796 - Sun Mar 17 2019 01:27 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2
Dagny1 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alabama USA
Sue Grafton's Kinsey series is one of my all time favorites. Mystery series are my favorite genre anyway. For me it is more about the characters than the actual mystery and I tend to get quite attached to the characters. One of my current series that is ongoing is Victoria Thompson's Gaslight series.

#1222876 - Mon Mar 18 2019 09:27 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

I completely agree about characters. Even though he doesn't tend to write series, my favourite part about Stepehn King is that he can write characters that step off the page and move in next door.

#1223361 - Tue Mar 26 2019 10:28 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

"Beginning: Book One of The Tape Recorder Trilogy" by Geoff Micks - a Toronto based author.
The first book I read by him was called "Zulu" and it delighted me. I read it because I know his mother, not because it was a topic that appealed. Anything I'd ever seen or read about the Zulus was done from the British point of view. This book takes two young brothers and follows their lives from when the empire was at its strongest to its collapse. His research is meticulous and the character development is wonderful. My husband, who is a History major, was also impressed.
Next I read "Inca" by the same author and it was even better.
Have just started "Beginning" and have great hopes for it.

#1228684 - Wed Apr 24 2019 08:18 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

"We Are Water" - Wally Lamb

#1235375 - Sat Jun 15 2019 08:38 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Anyone here following my interests will know one of the primary ones is life after death, which includes karma. It won't surprise people then when I say one of my clients lent me a book which is sewing up all my details on both subjects, written by one of the best regression hypnotists of our time, Dolores Cannon, who died recently in her 90s. It's called Between Death and Life, and will explain everything I already knew as well in a single book.

Page 25 of 25 < 1 2 ... 23 24 25

Moderator:  LeoDaVinci, ren33, TabbyTom