Rules
Terms of Use

Page 27 of 27 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27
Topic Options
#1286192 - Wed Mar 31 2021 08:11 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Thanks for the rec of "My Sister is a Serial Killer", Lynn. I also enjoyed it.

#1287284 - Wed Apr 14 2021 05:07 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Has anyone read :The Windsor Knot" by S.J. Bennett?? It's a hoot! The Queen turns detective after a murder at Windsor Castle. Clever writing.

#1287294 - Wed Apr 14 2021 02:21 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2
Dagny1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Alabama USA
Originally Posted By: ren33
Has anyone read :The Windsor Knot" by S.J. Bennett?? It's a hoot! The Queen turns detective after a murder at Windsor Castle. Clever writing.

Thanks for the recommendation. I had noticed the title as one of the new arrivals just earlier today but didn't do anything about it. Have now gone and put it on Hold - 3rd in line.

#1287323 - Wed Apr 14 2021 09:57 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2
agony Offline

Administrator

I tend to read several books at once, always have since I was a kid. Right now I have a bedside book, a bathroom book, and a book on my tablet for when I'm not at home. And it's funny how often the books seem to resonate with each other, though I never choose them with that in mind.

Right now I'm reading Edna Ferber's "Giant" from the mid fifties. A big sprawling story of Texas, with one of its themes being anti Mexican racism. It also looks at power imbalances, with million acre ranches and those who labour on them, all wrapped up in what is mostly a personal story of one marriage.

Also Susan Isaacs' "Red, White and Blue", set half in the present (when the book was written, in the 90s) and half in a timeline from the late 1800s to now. It's essentially a romantic semi-thriller. Under the story runs a theme exploring what it means to be an American. Set mostly in Wyoming, with white supremacists as part of the plot.

And last, Jess Walters' "The Cold Millions", set in Spokane, Washington, a period piece exploring the early labour movement, specifically the Wobblies. A serious new novel looking at class and race.

All set in the west, all looking at class and race and identity, but differing widely in tone and style. And they're just bouncing around in my head, striking sparks off each other.

#1287891 - Sat Apr 24 2021 10:57 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2
agony Offline

Administrator

So now I've finished all three of those.

It's interesting reading a bestseller from generations ago. You can see why "Giant" was a big hit - it has a lot of appeal in a lot of ways. But it's also very much a bestseller, and the thing about bestsellers is that usually they are not particularly great books. I read a review that said that this is one of the rare cases where the movie is better than the book, and I have to agree.

Any Susan Isaacs book is going to be fun, and this one is. Likeable characters, enough action and humour to keep it from being dry, and, in its analysis of right wing extremity and where it could lead the country, pretty much bang on thirty years later.

"The Cold Millions" is the best book of the bunch. Its politics are pretty clear, but most of the abuses and atrocities here are well documented - this stuff happened, and it is, for the most part, forgotten history. Lots of modern day echoes here, too. Funny how the past keeps coming back - it's almost like we never learn anything.

#1288767 - Sat May 08 2021 04:59 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2
StarfishTwo Offline

Loc: East Tennessee USA      
I envy you being able to juggle 3 books at once! My memory's not the greatest and if I tried to do that I think I'd meld them all together. If I leave a book sitting too long, I have to start all over because I can't remember any of it!  I read a book a few months ago that I really loved and would love to recommend here, but now I can't remember what it was and don't see it in my digital orders. frown

#1290386 - Mon May 31 2021 05:30 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2
agony Offline

Administrator

I'd heard of Michael Chabon of course, but had never read anything by him. My son recommended "The Yiddish Policemans Union" and I loved it, so now it looks like I'll be reading a lot more - I'm currently enjoying a short story collection.

#1294867 - Thu Aug 26 2021 09:54 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA
While I've not read the books, has anyone heard of the Garage Sale mystery series? Hallmark aired 15 movies with Lori Loughlin as the protagonist, Jennifer Shannon. I've seen the author of the books several times, and maybe one day, should think about getting the series. I believe the fourth book released just recently. I'll mention the author published her first book at age 72.

I'd post a link to the site, but I'm refraining as outside links are looked down upon here.

Page 27 of 27 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27

Moderator:  LeoDaVinci, ren33, TabbyTom