Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#63489 - Mon Nov 06 2000 12:14 AM "Shootout" 10th Input
Sagebrush Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wichita
  Kansas USA
Congratulations to karmaloupster who was last month's winner!

Remember that there won't be any Shootout during the week of Thanksgiving.

#63490 - Tue Nov 07 2000 05:00 AM Re: "Shootout" 10th Input
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Sydney
oz downunder
congrats, again, kl

now as for you Davjack, took yoou long enough, welcome aboard mate!

#63491 - Wed Nov 08 2000 12:11 AM Re: "Shootout" 10th Input
Anonymous
No longer registered

Thanks Sage and Gt....

GT..lol on the @ wag....just a sec I'll go check if that was it..lol.

BTW, has your new question got 2 parts....the cities link and What does Esoteric mean?...lol

OK, to finish, a shameless cross-promotion...for anyone who is vaguely interested in soccer, there is a Fun Trivia Soccer tipping comp starting in these forums from this weekend....it will be involving the UK Premier league generally. The details for anyone wishing to join in are held in the "Seasons Tickets" forum and the thread is self explanatory.... all comers are welcome...even Leeds supporters....lol

------------------
If all the worlds wealth were divided between every man, woman & child
presently alive on the planet, we would all have $13 million a piece.

$13 Million for every single Human....

#63492 - Wed Nov 08 2000 05:34 AM Re: "Shootout" 10th Input
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

oz downunder
kl, I've been looking at this nintendo site, on maniac mansion, for .. I don't know how long

HH = Outer Lab
GG = Dungeon
G = Kitchen
CC = Den
AA = Dead Cousin Ted's Room
and thus guessed that the missing bit between the dudgeon and the kitchen just had to be the pantry
@ = Pantry

which, looking at the sequence, seems like a misprint/typo for
I = pantry

anyway, this dumb wog's got no idea what he's looking at or what he's talking about .. as I've got no idea what this game is about or the correct sequence of events to complete it lol

good question on the moriori, as until today I'd never heard of them or their plight, Davjack's answer looks pretty convincing there's quite a bit on the web burt I reckon he rang home tonight and checked up! btw dj is a kiwi we let into the country a while back, came in without a visa, so we can't deport him .. I'm safe btw, I was born in Wollongong

has PaulE enrolled in the FA PL tipping comp yet?

#63493 - Wed Nov 08 2000 07:50 AM Re: "Shootout" 10th Input
PaulE Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Leeds Yorkshire
England UK
I've just joined up for the "guess the winner" comp gt.
Let's see just how much blind faith kl has in The Hammers!

#63494 - Wed Nov 08 2000 08:45 AM Re: "Shootout" 10th Input
Anonymous
No longer registered

ty GT..i have just finished reading a book which is one book every one should read..may have heard of it, it is called CENSORED [/b]..is basically the real look at what has happened to get the world where it is now..CENSORED [/b]...anyway it sort of fills in history that you will never be taught but which is very real...like yourself I had no knowledge of the native Chatnam Islanders and this 2 week blood spree...wasn't in any history book i read...good book..worth the $18 or so..going to check Dave's answer...

Ok...ummm Dave the book that I have (see above) has a very different story to this...well actually maybe the part you ahve given is like the very end ..ok what i need I suppose is how the Maoris who told them about the it knew....thsi could get messy here so I'll define the answer a bit more by saying that there was a particular occurance, something happened and from that the Maoris learnt of these Isalands and their people and their food etc....but here you are saying 2 ships went due to being forced to dock and taht it was a war that ahd them all the way out there....very different to what i have i must say dave...the way my book reads it, the Maoris found out the existence, got together some men some weapons and a ship and took off, with another 2 weeks behind....Dave, you could be right here, if you have some doco, the web page link would be ideal with this info then post it here when you can and we'll sort it out..gj thoughand good q's 3725-1 had me for an hour or so....

Paul..if you want to see Blind loyalty then you've come to the right place...hell I support the Dragons in the rugby league here..sheeesh ask Gt about pain...still it should be good..and wtg on the 3725-1 and the Spinal Tap...i had cut that quote down considerably to get it to that level..wtg

------------------

#63495 - Wed Nov 08 2000 09:43 AM Re: "Shootout" 10th Input
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

oz downunder
kl, you've picked a douzie here mate .. when I was digging around for the moriori thing there were very differing opinions as to what happened in 1835, how many died, why and how the maoris went over .. the nz govt web-site says that they were not wiped out, the last surviving moriori died almost a hundred years later in 1933 .. this is all from memory so I'll stand corrected .. I never studied history at high school (did geography) but I'm slowly learning history sometimes is opinions as wel as facts

now you explain to the new player dj where he's at and what's next and who's on first and who's on second .. he doesn't have inet access at work, only at home, so he won't see this till tomorrow night .. in fact, I'll email this page to him to the pc at work so he'll be up to speed when he gets home, cya

btw Leeds United will rule

p.s. if you wanna listen to a recording of the whole Abott & Costello thing go to www.funkypages.com (ren32 put me onto it a few months back), and while you're there listen to some recordings of prank calls .. the one to the navy base is an absolute scream, it'll bring tears to your eyes, and so is the one with a Jack Nicholson sound alike taking orderds at a maccas drive thru

#63496 - Wed Nov 08 2000 09:52 AM Re: "Shootout" 10th Input
Anonymous
No longer registered

lol Gt, thanks for the links...hold the phone on the Moiroi one and sending it to Dave...to me it would seem that acceopted history Text Books and ref material are unlikely to have this version of events..that is essentialy what it is....sthsi guy is a celebrated Anthropologist etc but we willl never truely know i suppose so what about I amend the Q to read according to.. in...?

Sound good?....tell us what you think and maybe you can post for him if necessary cause he will deserve another crack at it..but that is up to Sage....Sage...

Ok if i hear nothing I will edit..silence is consent..

alright I've taken Leeds the Draww against Milan is my $ safe?...are they capable of taht?..or will they capitulate like at Tranmeer missing in action like the 500 that went MIA from my ticket on 4 game boxer..first 3 aok...just leeds to beat tranmeer after going up 2-0..aggggghh

------------------

#63497 - Wed Nov 08 2000 11:23 AM Re: "Shootout" 10th Input
PaulE Offline
Multiloquent

England UK
I've got all the Star Wars films at home on video and know most of the scripts inside out.
I just needed to check it out last night.
It's also in the IMDB in the memorable quotes section.
I found a Spinal Tap site that had the quote word for word and yes, it was much longer than the snippet you posted.

As for Milan.....

Don't put any money on us!

If you saw the Barca game you have some idea just how heartbreaking it is to follow Leeds.
Always has been, and no doubt always will be.
Then again.............

#63498 - Sat Nov 11 2000 05:39 PM Re: "Shootout" 10th Input
Davjack Offline
Mainstay

NSW Australia

My pre-internet knowledge of the Moriori is that they used to live in NZ, but when the Maori's arrived in the great fleet migration of 1350 they "kicked" the Moriori out and they went and lived in the Chatham islands 800 km (500 mi) west of NZ.
The last Moriori died in 1933 (Tommy Solomon).
Along comes the internet and I find that the Maori and Moriroi did trade with each other.
"Maori had visited the islands many times in the past without any problems but this was not the case with these Maori". http://www.culture.co.nz/moriori/moriori4.htm.

I did not know that the Maori had invaded the Chathams in 1835, but they did not wipe them out, as your question suggests.
The above web site also quotes the following.

"Moriori were to live in these cruel conditions with these Maori and under the watchful eye of the Europeans for the next 30 years until the Govt. made rulings to have the slaves freed. But this was one too many nails in the already well nailed coffin of the plight to save the Moriori. Moriori had remained strong in spirit through most of these times but with the eventual taking of all of their ancestral lands by Pakeha and Maori and the stripping of their intense sacredness as a people, Moriori as with many other people groups around the world 'turned to the wall and died.
Soon Pakeha and Maori were to realise that Moriori were at the point of no turning back. Numbers of Moriori dropped dramatically to the point that by the turn of the century there were only a handful left. Tommy Solomon was the last of the full-blooded Moriori of the Chathams. Many Moriori descendants still live in Aotearoa (New Zealand) and have through the years managed to gather and network themselves together again. So in my mind the story of the Moriori is not over and a new chapter of this book is opening."
Please aslo refer to http://www.zealand.org.nz/moriori2.htm.

#63499 - Sun Nov 12 2000 08:19 AM Re: "Shootout" 10th Input
Anonymous
No longer registered

Davejack...well done the pints are yours you obviously know the story...as for the history of this incident the book i am referring to is called "Guns, Germs and Steel" by Jared Diamond..is has been awarded something, can't remember what..well the whole book is basically telling the history of the world and it really evaluates what has happened and what has been accepted as happening, esp with the acceptanceof Darwin's theories..he doesn't discredit them but accepts some not all...mind you he isn't a creationist...just making sure....it is the most fascinating book I haveb ever read...anyway one of his examples of the behaviour of man thru the ages is the Chatnam Island massacre of 1835..he says that in about 1200 bc agroup of farming, fishingseafarers from the Bismarck Archiepelago nth of PNG inhabited all the islands in the NZ/polynesia area ongoingly until about 500 ad when all the islands weres ettled...the Moiriori and the Maoris were therfore from same ancestory but by 1835 due to being on a small island only able to support 2000 odd they had no alternative but to learn to get on with each other or they would soon die out..as opposed to the maoris in the south island of nz who were 100,000 strong and had larger and less personalised culture...ie organised aghriculture, hierarchies of power etc...that is basically how he explains the massacre and you are right BTW, rthe almost eradication of these people by the Maoris..they simply had forgotten what being aggressive was and had bno need for weapons so they didn't ahve any...very interesting piece of history I'd say rarely translated that way..i'm not saying his version of events was more accurate then those that are "accepted"....i just choose to believe them because they make sense and fit a pattern of behaviour, he may of course could be making it up but he is a fairly well respected anthropoligist....anyway DJ, I'll ask sage to give em to you ..wd..the answer I had given him was the one in the book which is that an Australian Whaling Ship on the way back from Japan stopped there to get food etc..they were amazed by the lack of hostility and weapons etc and by the beauty of the place, water, fruit etc...they then set sail and stopped on the South Island of NZ, told the maories the story of teh Islands and the rest is so they say fractured history...

sage, could you please accredit DJ with the points here , he has the right answer, just a different perspective....and please remove it from the list of current q's..thanks Sage

Btw, GTH, that Bulldog Drummin one, did you know that it had increased value for somebody involved in another battle of wits in these forums??..i bet you did...lol..ther's a numbers common link Q brewing...

------------------

#63500 - Mon Nov 13 2000 10:14 AM Re: "Shootout" 10th Input
Anonymous
No longer registered

Gtho....it seems like you got an earler reference then both me and PaulE..wtg..here's the quote I got........

"...The state's fisrt radio station, KFQD began operation in Anchorage in 1924....."

Guess who ?? .... "F***enWaggers" ..an "Encyclopedia" ... geesh!

..Sage, it looks like you've got an earlier reference so, points to Gtho as well as PaulE?

..also Sage, in refence to DJ's answer to the Maori one, i reckon it's enough and he should get the points etc but I'll leave it up to you...Thanks

------------------

#63501 - Mon Nov 13 2000 10:38 AM Re: "Shootout" 10th Input
PaulE Offline
Multiloquent

England UK
Hey kl, Sage marked me as wrong with that answer anyway.
It seems I've been marked wrong for giving the same answer that you had.

This is where I found my answer http://members.aol.com/jeff1070/am9.html

It gives the source as Comptons Encyclopedia. Same source as you?

What do you say Sage?

#63502 - Mon Nov 13 2000 10:43 AM Re: "Shootout" 10th Input
Anonymous
No longer registered

Yeah not sure .... unless i gave him the wrong form of the acronym..i'll check..otherwise he may have just missed it PE...

Sage..have you got the answer i sent you as being the same as Pauls?

BTW PE, gj on THe Smiths..taht one is disputed between smiths fans on the net often..no doubt about the answer though the Ritz was it..ahd 5 on stage, a guy who was morrisse's friend was omn stage thrwoing flower petals to the crowd i am told....

------------------

#63503 - Mon Nov 13 2000 11:16 AM Re: "Shootout" 10th Input
Sagebrush Offline
Multiloquent

Kansas USA
KL - Here is what you sent to be verbatim:

13. In November and December of 1835, the Moriori people, peaceful hunter-gatherers who had lived for thousands of yaers on the Chatnam Islands, 500 Km east of New Zealand were wiped out of exsistence. Two boat loads of Maoris from the mainland slaughtered the island's population with little effort as the Moriori had never been faced with hostility of any sort, let alone sharp weapons. The Maoris that were responsible for the massacre had never known of the existence of the Chatnam Islands or the people that dwelled there until shortly before they set sail. How did the Maoris learn of the existence of this island and it's friendly people?. karmaloupster - 11-08-2000 12:32 AM

An Australian seal hunting ship stopped at the Chatnam Islands en route to New Zealand and when they got to New Zealand advised the Maoris of the people's island home , it's abundance of seafood, berries and clear water and the natives lack of weaponory or aggression.

Now, you tell me if it is the same as has been answered.

#63504 - Mon Nov 13 2000 11:41 AM Re: "Shootout" 10th Input
PaulE Offline
Multiloquent

England UK
I know I got Q13 wrong 'cos it was more or less a WAG but kl and I have the same answer for Q20 and I've had it marked wrong.

#63505 - Mon Nov 13 2000 09:19 PM Re: "Shootout" 10th Input
Anonymous
No longer registered

Ok..first, PE..Sage is i think is referring that response to my requests to have DJ given the points for his response to Q13....I'm pretty sure Sage has got the same response as you have given and prob either decided to wait (due to that trouble-making GTHO and his bloody never give in attitudde..) till me cleared it up either way or just may have missed it in all this Q13. literature....Gtho seems to be able to show us differently so it's the old 2 sources of conflicting info bit...one for the Sagest...

Sage, in ref to Q13...I realise that they are essentially differnt texts but if i think DJ is basing his answer to the question from the point of view of a person on the ship that stopped in at the Chatnams (same story) and then advising the Maoris(same story)..just that i had looked at from the point of view of the Aust Fishing Boat and Dave J from the point of view of someone on that boat, although he doesn't mention the type of baot, but this irreleavnt..it was a bit of a genral one Sage, my apols..just such a interesting story...but the essence of the q was that they were notified by soemone from a passing ship who had just been there...which DJ has given....but it is your's again Sage..

------------------

[This message has been edited by karmaloupster (edited 11-13-2000).]

#63506 - Tue Nov 14 2000 09:22 PM Re: "Shootout" 10th Input
Anonymous
No longer registered

Sage...just a short note to say thank you...you have indirectly helped our Pub Trivia team win a $200 comp...the deciding q for us was "Which band in the 1960's had a hit with "Snoopy and the Red Baron?"..we were the only team to get it..why?..because i had searched furiously for it as it mwas one of lsat months Shoot Out music q's that you had set....and they that playing trivia games is a waste of time.....ha....thanks Sage from all the players in the team..

------------------

#63507 - Tue Nov 14 2000 10:36 PM Re: "Shootout" 10th Input
Sagebrush Offline
Multiloquent

Kansas USA
Glad to hear that KL. Do I get any of the prize money?

Now, about the rule change. I had an idea that I thought might get new players in, but after thinking more about it I desided not to impliment it yet. Have to think about it a little more.

The "sweathog" question: On the remaining name we will work it like this: Answer which one of the four Davjack got wrong and the correct name for 20 points (daily) til midnight tomorrow. After that it becomes a stumper.

#63508 - Thu Nov 16 2000 05:19 AM Re: "Shootout" 10th Input
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

oz downunder
kl, talk to me, where are we at with Q33? you've got me intrigued as I've gone thru all the results, again .. can you please check your end - do you know where the south pylon of the Sydney harbour bridge is, I've got it marked in my street directory with a big red cross and yellow highlighter

#63509 - Fri Nov 17 2000 02:40 AM Re: "Shootout" 10th Input
Anonymous
No longer registered

Sage..

In reference to Q33 and the UK soccer team that went without a goal during the reign of Pope JP I, could you please award Gtho the points for his answer posted 11-14-2000 (as a Daily)...apols to Gtho and all for the dodgy information....it wasn't the F***en Waggers this time but a Leeds supporter...I know, I know, how could you belive someone so obviously deluded..sorry again and Sage, points to Gtho...good info Gtho by the way, well done..

------------------

#63510 - Fri Nov 17 2000 06:27 AM Re: "Shootout" 10th Input
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

oz downunder
no worries kl, thanks, and btw tell that Leeds supporter he's a great bloke, with impeccable and exquisite tastes in football

#63511 - Fri Nov 17 2000 03:33 PM Re: "Shootout" 10th Input
Davjack Offline
Mainstay

NSW Australia
Sage,Please advise if I got Q97 "fahrenheit 451 right or wrong,
I posted an answer 2 hours b4 it expired, but have not seen if I got it right or not.(the second mod to the answer was only to modify my question No's (GT asked me to do this)

#63512 - Tue Nov 28 2000 06:16 PM Re: "Shootout" 10th Input
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

oz downunder
Paul, is the answer to Burundi is 61?

#63513 - Wed Nov 29 2000 02:55 AM Re: "Shootout" 10th Input
PaulE Offline
Multiloquent

England UK
I don't know how you found it gt, but, you've got it.

Moderator:  ozzz2002