Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#63732 - Sun Nov 26 2000 11:33 AM Snake Talk - Game # 49 - From me to you!
Sagebrush Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wichita
Kansas USA
This will be the last game that I will oversee since Sypher will be back to do Game # 50 and the rest. I have enjoyed it and want to thank all those that played the game while I was running it. It will be nice to have Sypher back.

Congratulations are in order for [/b]BagLady[/b] for winning last weeks game!

I hope we have enough players for this weeks game ant that you have fun with the topic.

Good luck!

#63733 - Sun Nov 26 2000 09:16 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 49 - From me to you!
BagLady Offline
Prolific

Loc: Shangri-La USA
Sage, I just got home and saw your Game #49 info. Just one question...what, if any, is the limit on the amount of words that can be used in an entry?

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday...I, for one, am really happy to be home in my quiet, grandchild-free home! lol

BL

------------------
Every Day is the Perfect Day to say Thanks!

....[i]Thomas Szasz</I]

#63734 - Sun Nov 26 2000 10:08 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 49 - From me to you!
Sagebrush Offline
Multiloquent

Kansas USA
what ever the item is. I guess most items would be one or two words. Remember no descriptive words allowed.
Hope we have enough players. If not, we'll just cancel the game and let Sypher use the topic some time if he wants.

#63735 - Mon Nov 27 2000 06:37 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 49 - From me to you!
Sagebrush Offline
Multiloquent

Kansas USA
Rule Change:

Since that with this topic there are a lot of entries that could end in "S" (plural), the letter will be counted in the score, but the player following will have the option of using the "S" or the letter before it.

#63736 - Mon Nov 27 2000 03:05 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 49 - From me to you!
Anonymous
No longer registered

Im sorry, I was going under the assumption that the entries this week had to be from each individual players country...?

Sagebrush, can you specify please because the rules as they are are a bit sketchy. Thanks!

#63737 - Tue Nov 28 2000 07:59 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 49 - From me to you!
Partsdude Offline
Prolific

Loc: Michigan USA
It looks like Karma duplicated Baglady's entry. And Sage, I can't believe that you misspelled whiskey!

#63738 - Tue Nov 28 2000 10:36 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 49 - From me to you!
Sagebrush Offline
Multiloquent

Kansas USA

Your are right Partsdude on both accounts on both accounts. I saw the double entry by KL, but didn't have time to post it here. So, you will get half of KL's score (without bonus) for the challange. About my misspelling of whiskey. I typed in a hurry this morning and didn't recheck it. I will leave it up to the rest of the players if I get zero or just lose the point for the missing "h".

Now for the bad news. Partsdude, your entry is invalid because the rules state "No brand names".

#63739 - Tue Nov 28 2000 10:46 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 49 - From me to you!
Sagebrush Offline
Multiloquent

Kansas USA

Mamaja - Send me a site proving that your entry is an exported item and listed exactly as you have it. Your points will be held in limbo until it can be verified.

#63740 - Wed Nov 29 2000 12:15 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 49 - From me to you!
Anonymous
No longer registered

Done, Sage. I have cut and pasted the address in a private message to you.
Mama

#63741 - Thu Nov 30 2000 12:12 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 49 - From me to you!
Sagebrush Offline
Multiloquent

Kansas USA

Notice to all players : Please read and give your comments!

When choosing the topic of exports and imports I failed to forsee the difficulties that I have encountered. I chose it because it would be an international topic and not geared to just one country. Then I added the bonus of half score added if it was an export from the player's country. I now realize that this wouldn't be fair to the player's outside the U.S. since the U.S. exported so many more items than the smaller countries.

When writing the rules I failed to get my concept across aas to what was acceptable as a valid or invalid entry. I used the wrong word/s or didn't explain to the full extent for a clear understanding. Or, maybe I should have limited the entries to three words. My concept of exports / imports was in the general sense. To eplain this more I will give you examples of entries already posted. In my opinion these entries are too descriptive.

Rotary internal combustion piston engines
Even though I found many web sites with the part listed this way I feel that rotary describes the piston and internal combustion describes the engine. Therefore, either Rotary piston engines or Internal combustion engines would be a valid entry for this item.

EXTERNAL PARALLEL PRINTER PORTS

The valid entry for this should be just Parallel printer ports because External is descriptive.

Semi-Diesel Marine Propulsion Compression-Ignition Engines

I could not find a site that had it listed this way. Thay all listed it like this; Marine Propulsion Engines, NES SITC-71333 Compression-Ignition Engines (Diesel Or Semi-Diesel), Marine Propulsion SITC-7138 Internal Combustion Piston Engines.
or, like this: 8408 Compression-ignition internal combustion piston engines (diesel or semi-diesel engines): 8408.10.00 Marine propulsion engines.
Therefore the valid entries for this item would be Compression-ignition engines, Semi-diesel engines or Marine propulsion engines

SPARK-IGNITION INTERNAL COMBUSTION PISTON TYPE GAS ENGINES

I did find a site that listed it exactally like this;
SPARK-IGNITION INTERNAL COMBUSTION PISTON TYPE GAS (NATURAL OR LP) ENGINES US Domestic Exports
However, isn't this going a little oveboard with descriptions?

So, my friends, there you have what is bothering me and giving me problems with the scoring and desiding what is valid or invalid. Am I wrong in my doubts? Should I just let things go on as they are and stop worring about being fair to all? Please give me input on what I should do so that I can tally the scores and we can continue this game with an understanding of what is right!

I wish to add that I am trying to deal with are self induced and my own fault. They may be un-warrented. I am just rrying to make the game fair for everybody. The entries I gave as examples, I do not fault the players that submitted them. They were just playing the game as it should be played and trying for the most points.

Thankyou!

#63742 - Wed Nov 29 2000 03:30 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 49 - From me to you!
Pinhead Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: The Dark Side of the Moon...
Sage, you do what is right for you. You are the 'SnakeMaster', not us. Don't you know we will always find the 'gray area's'. Do whatever with the scores cause it's fine by me..

#63743 - Wed Nov 29 2000 04:06 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 49 - From me to you!
Anonymous
No longer registered

I don't mean to be a grouch or anything, Sage, so I have deleted my previously grouchy submission! I'm really sorry - had a crummy week and didn't handle this well. More later, where someone might read it!

[This message has been edited by Mamaja (edited 12-01-2000).]

#63744 - Wed Nov 29 2000 05:38 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 49 - From me to you!
BagLady Offline
Prolific

Loc: Shangri-La USA
Sage...I can certainly see why you're a bit overwhelmed by all this, and certainly sympathize with you. Pinhead's right about it being your call as to how you score all this.

I had an idea that may or may not work, or even make sense! Tomorrow is Thursday...what if each player (that wants to) re-submits 3 entries tomorrow (with the same letters they had for Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday), and a fresh entry for Thursday, thereby theoretically starting a whole new game?

Just a verrrrrrry rambling thought.

BL

------------------
Every Day is the Perfect Day to say Thanks!

[This message has been edited by BagLady (edited 11-29-2000).]

....[i]Thomas Szasz</I]

#63745 - Wed Nov 29 2000 07:24 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 49 - From me to you!
Anonymous
No longer registered

I was confused by the rules from the beginning of the week, but since nobody helped me make sense of them I decided to wing it and cross my fingers that I was doing it right. LOL

Sage, its your call.

#63746 - Thu Nov 30 2000 09:48 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 49 - From me to you!
Anonymous
No longer registered

Sage, I will totally go along with whatever you want to do. I did not mean to be a grump yesterday, but I'm with Fort - I was confused from the start!
BagLady's thoughts might be good - I'll second that, or do what you will.
Love you guys!
Mama

#63747 - Thu Nov 30 2000 11:32 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 49 - From me to you!
Sagebrush Offline
Multiloquent

Kansas USA

You people are right about not changing in middle of week. Bascally all I did was to eliminate the bonus. The entries that didn't receive full credit are as follows:

BagLady - I gave you gredit for "Semi-diesel enginge" only. The reaso is that I couldn't find a web site that listed the item exactally the way you posted it. Also becauseit had to start with an "S". If you can send me a url listing the item exactally as you posted, I will give you the full credit.
On yesterday's entry I could only give you credit for "Storage units".

karmaloupster - I only gave you credit for "Soap".

I am sorry for the confusion and hope the remedy is satisfactory to all.

#63748 - Thu Nov 30 2000 07:26 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 49 - From me to you!
Pinhead Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: The Dark Side of the Moon...
Thursday's Joke

American Condoms....USA-Exports:

Yeltsin calls Clinton with an emergency: "Our largest condom factory has exploded!" the Russian President cried. "It's my people's favorite form of birth control! This is a true disaster!"

"Boris, the American people would be happy to do anything within their power to help you," replied the President.

"I do need your help," said Yelstin. "Could you possibly send 1,000,000 condoms ASAP to tide us over?"

"Why certainly! I'll get right on it!" said Clinton.

"Oh, and one more small favor, please?"

"Yes?"

"Could the condoms be red in color and at least 10" long and 4" in diameter?"

"No problem," replied the President and, with that, Clinton hangs up and calls the President of Trojan.

"I need a favor, you've got to make 1,000,000 condoms right away and send them to Russia."

"Consider it done," said the President of Trojan.

"Great! Now listen, they have to be red in color, 10" long and 4" wide."

"Easily done. Anything else?"

"Yeah," said the President, "write 'MADE IN AMERICA, SIZE MEDIUM' on each one."

#63749 - Fri Dec 01 2000 10:45 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 49 - From me to you!
Anonymous
No longer registered

out of this world, Pingiggles!!! I love it. Gotta get it to PapaKa - - he'll appreciate it!

[This message has been edited by Mamaja (edited 12-01-2000).]

#63750 - Sat Dec 02 2000 01:09 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game # 49 - From me to you!
Sagebrush Offline
Multiloquent

Kansas USA

I wish to thank all the people that participated during my reign as Snakemaster protem. I enjoyed every day of it. I now relinquish the grand throne back to the one any only true "Snakemaster", Sypher!

Here are the final results:

Pinhead...................154
Baglady...................127
Mamaja...................89
PartsDude...............71
CellarDoor..............69
SageBrush..............44
karmaloupster........44
Fortunata................41

Thanks again!

Moderator:  ozzz2002