Rules
Terms of Use

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#63937 - Wed Dec 13 2000 09:16 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game 50 - Snake Charmers !!
Anonymous
No longer registered

What To Do If Attacked By a Snake.

The following is from the US Government Peace Corps Manual for its volunteers who work in the Amazon Jungle. It tells what to do in case you are attacked by an anaconda. Now an anaconda is the largest snake in the world. It is a relative of the boa constrictor, it grows to thirty-five feet in length and weighs between three and four hundred pounds at the maximum.
This is what the manual said:

• If you are attacked by an anaconda, do not run. The snake is faster than you are.

• Lie flat on the ground. Put your arms tight against your sides, your legs tight against one another. Tuck your chin in.

• The snake will come and begin to nudge and climb over your body. Do not panic.

• After the snake has examined you, it will begin to swallow you from the feet — always from the end. Permit the snake to swallow your feet and ankles. Do not panic.

• The snake will now begin to suck your legs into its body. You must lie perfectly still. This will take a long time.

• When the snake has reached your knees slowly and with as little movement as possible, reach down, take your knife and very gently slide it into the side of the snake's mouth between the edge of its mouth and your leg, then suddenly rip upwards, severing the snake's head.

• Be sure you have your knife.

• Be sure your knife is sharp.

OK! Who wants to go first?
And remember: "Don't Panic!"
Does that rule out wetting your pants and passing out?

#63938 - Thu Dec 14 2000 01:36 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game 50 - Snake Charmers !!
Anonymous
No longer registered

Good question Sue...

"..., however, why are the double words banned, they are legitimate species and wouldn't cause letter to run out as in the 'e' at the end of snake."

... i wanted to know the answer to that one myself ... I wonder if it was say "Australian Indigineous Politicians" would the "Snake" (master) rule out "George Georges" ( a real Aust politician) on the double name rule?....to me it stinks of double standards (get it!) ..... discriminates against Snakes with the same name twice...after all it is not their fault right?...anyway here was what i can only gather is the "official" hiss from the "master" ...

"The reason they were banned because it would make things more interesting....No other reason...."

Wow I'm satisfied..... don't know about you Sue.....

------------------
If all the worlds wealth were divided between every man, woman & child
presently alive on the planet, we would all have $13 million a piece.

$13 Million for every single Human....

#63939 - Thu Dec 14 2000 02:13 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game 50 - Snake Charmers !!
Sypher Offline

Loc: East London
England UK    
Karma & Sue - The Double rule was not made up during the game but before the game started. Thus, it was a rule which everyone saw clearly....of course, mistakes do happen, such as one can always think they support a football team called West Ham (lol).

Another reason why the Double rule was included.....Does anyone remember the topic of PLANTS !! (That was a nightmare and mostly caused by double word entries.)

------------------
Two types of people: Those who finish what they start and....

#63940 - Thu Dec 14 2000 04:17 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game 50 - Snake Charmers !!
Anonymous
No longer registered

OK Snakeman you have convinced me of the fair brush being applied here to these entries....I mean it was set in stne before the game started right?...and of course once the game's started that's it it terms of rule changes..snake tradition I believe..just a sec my second, Lionel Hutz is rushing towards me crying "we got him, we got him"...sec...

ok re: rule changes pre/post game...

Sypher
(SnakeMaster, London-UK) posted 12-13-2000 02:26 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After much debate and bending of the rules, here are the scores after Day 2...

...umm sounds like there is rsome room for negiotiation on rules there...

whoa there just a sec ...good work Lionel...ok Sypher re: double names of snakes...in reply to this post...
"Mamaja
(Prairie Village, KS US) posted 12-12-2000 10:25 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Isn't Karma's entry for today a repeat of Sue's entry yesterday???

...did u say this...

"Sypher
(SnakeMaster, London-UK) posted 12-12-2000 10:28 AM
No, Karma's entry is not a repeat of Sue's.
Sue's was Invalid due to the rule about double entries.
There is a snake with just the one word at the end....therefore a totally different snake.. "

I suppose the bit i am alluding to here is the statement, by you is

"......There is a snake with just the one word at the end....therefore a totally different snake.. "

so if u admit that the two snakes are completly different snakes then how can it be that a possible answer to this subject could be disallowed ?.... I mean A) It hasn't been posted by someone else already , that would of been a completly different snake as you say, and B)It is apparently a snake (and therfore eligible) ....how can one snake be deemed good and another no good due to it's unfortunately repititive monniker?....I mean i can understand if u say "Only Snakes with one or two word entries are eligible"...but to rule out a snake on syntex sounds, well damn it it sounds unconstitutional and definitly "not cricket"...i see many entries that have been deemed "legal" which have recurring syntex,...please note I am not casting dispersions or challenging any of the following entries....just trying to get some snake justice....

See the "di" clearly doubled up...

Thunder2's entry yesterday

Typhlopidae Xenotyphlops grandidieri

and this from the " Golden-haired child" from Sydanee on Dec 12..

look for the way that the "er" has been used twice..

Macrovipera lebetina transmediterranea

and this one from the Head Adder yourself...a blantant doubling up of the letters "ph" in this entry from tyhe same day..

"Ramphotyphlops polygrammicus"

...and there are more I can list if you need further evidence...

I appeal to your non-Tottenham side to do the right thing as the snakemaster and allow both mine and Sue's entry to pass, although I would like to point out that Sue has in now been involved with this post and I only mention you Sue coz if I get the points then you should too....please do not let Sue feel the brunt of the certain snake ramifications for questioning the decision of the snake master....

------------------

#63941 - Thu Dec 14 2000 04:26 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game 50 - Snake Charmers !!
Sypher Offline

England UK    
Guess What Karma.....I do have a forgiving side and it is ALL-SPURS !! In the words of the immortal Snake King "Not A Bloody Chance !!"

Sorry Mate - No Can Do on giving you the points for double word entries....

------------------
Two types of people: Those who finish what they start and....

#63942 - Thu Dec 14 2000 05:06 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game 50 - Snake Charmers !!
Anonymous
No longer registered

You crack me up fellow-Ozzie!!!
So much squabbling about repetitive names in Snake titles and whether your entry should be allowed but you failed to notice that your entry for today was a friggin' lizard and not the required SNAKE as per the rules.

------------------
Why are you reading this?
The message is above.

#63943 - Thu Dec 14 2000 06:02 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game 50 - Snake Charmers !!
Anonymous
No longer registered

CHALLENGE!!!

I wish to challenge the following post by Auschic from Sydanee..

The offending entry was...

Rhinotyphlops schlegelii petersii
South Africa

...and apart from the obvious use of 2 "ii"'s, I believe that they are in fact not found in "South Africa" as browsed by Auschic, they actually rid them selves of these a few years back...

BTW..Auschic was this snake chosen out of all the possible "R" snakes subconsciously?...and if so just who is "Peter"?.....oh Auschic didn't mention it but this snake's common name is "Peters Giant Blind Snake".....

------------------

#63944 - Thu Dec 14 2000 06:16 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game 50 - Snake Charmers !!
ren32 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Fanling Hong Kong
Excuse me , may I jump in here? The use of double 'i'at the end of Latin names is very common and quite acceptable....

#63945 - Thu Dec 14 2000 06:22 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game 50 - Snake Charmers !!
Anonymous
No longer registered

LOL...at the time the Internet article (from which I referenced the habitat for my entry) went to print the office floor in South Africa ) was so covered in these Peter's One Eyed Blind Snake type reptiles that special shoes had to be supplied to staff to protect this protected species from stiletto puncture wounds. I have this on very good authority Loop the Loop and I could supply photographic evidence of this Snake Pile Carpet.
So there!
I think you are just a snake in the grass is barking up the wrong tree!!!

------------------
Why are you reading this?
The message is above.

#63946 - Thu Dec 14 2000 11:10 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game 50 - Snake Charmers !!
Anonymous
No longer registered

I´d like to challenge Auschic´s last entry.

The previous entry to hers (posted by Thunder) ended in the letter I, but hers started off with an R...obviously taking Thunder´s second to last letter. Now, I know that Sypher stated in the rules that "no entries can be found starting with the letters I, X (more to come)", but I´d like to argue this based on two points.

1) My first post in this thread states that I had no problem finding I entries, which means that they exist...and to back that up....

2) My entry yesterday clearly started with an I, and there´s more where that one came from. Surely if I can find such names Auschic should have no problem doing so.

Therefore, I see no reason why she should have taken the R instead for more points. I could have easily done that with my entry and taken an N to improve my score, but seeing as there are I entries available then they should be used.

#63947 - Thu Dec 14 2000 11:26 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game 50 - Snake Charmers !!
chelseabelle Offline
Star Poster

Loc: New York USA
Fort, I really don't see why Auschic should be penalized for following the rules. She was just doing exactly what Sypher said to do.
Unless Sypher changes the rules, everyone should be free to use an X or an I as a starting letter, or take the option of using the next to last letter of the previous entry

But, I think that Auschic was just playing by the rules, and her entry should stand.

#63948 - Fri Dec 15 2000 12:13 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game 50 - Snake Charmers !!
Anonymous
No longer registered

I reckon she should lose em...sorry CB, Aus, but I think they should definetly come off..Im with the Fort from over in the tropics..Aus chic shpuld be depointed of them...i mean i can't post a quite eligible snake yet Aus is allowed to skip past the obvious I enrtriees, smaller fer sure, but nevertheless still valid...and go steal the long winded one that was owed to the next "R" ending...still i have lost complete faith in equality and or sanity...i mean i justs saw GE Bush telling people he would be reaching out across the nation for them....

------------------

#63949 - Thu Dec 14 2000 02:08 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game 50 - Snake Charmers !!
Anonymous
No longer registered

At the risk of putting my life on the line, may I jump in the fray of the subject of double "ii" at the end of a word:
I studied Latin for seven years, and as Ren correctly states, "-ii" can be common. It indicates a plural. Brief lesson here:
We are all familiar with the term for a graduate of a college, but in usage, it has gotten abused. A man is an ALUMNUS and a woman is an ALUMNA. Multiple men are ALUMNI and many women are ALUMNAE. If we were dealing with a root that itself ended in "i" then in masculine form, it would be plural with "ii." And many adjectives or adjective forms end with "i" rendering their plural ending "ii."
Now, you're all arguing about a whole bunch of other stuff I don't care about, but I thought we needed a good Latin lesson in here - Where's Sister Mary Charles when you need her???

#63950 - Thu Dec 14 2000 02:49 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game 50 - Snake Charmers !!
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: San Diego California USA 

#63951 - Thu Dec 14 2000 03:07 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game 50 - Snake Charmers !!
BagLady Offline
Prolific

Loc: Shangri-La USA
Lol, JoJo, that's great! Sure looks like a Chamaeleo Chalupa to me!

I agree with Mama's post with one exception: Where's Sister Mary 'Josella' when you need her? (4 years of Latin with that woman was a totally life-altering experience) lol

I'm back, and there seems to be an open slot at 3:30-4:00, if that's o.k. Ick! Aaargh! Another 'A'!

BL

------------------
If you see a snake, just kill it. Don't appoint a committee on snakes.
......H. Ross Perot

....[i]Thomas Szasz</I]

#63952 - Thu Dec 14 2000 06:54 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game 50 - Snake Charmers !!
Anonymous
No longer registered

Challenge of challenges!!!!

I feel that some of y'all don't really hate me yet so here is my last ditch attempt to destroy any remaining traces of misplaced affection or tolerance. I'm a competitive bitch and for the unbelievers...here is the proof.

I am under the impression that with any Snake game where the entries consist of species or genus of one type or another, once a particular species has been submitted as an entry using it's Scientific name any sub-species in that category are no long valid as entries even though they may include and elongate the original species name.

Allow me to show the precedent for this taken from the infamous Dinosaur topic:

quote:

Sypher
Moderator posted 01-31-2000 02:47 PM

"If Iguanodon atherfieldensis has already been used (first) than you can use any of the other Iguanodon BUT if someone had posted Iguanodon first ONLY, than it cancels out all other types."

If this is also the case in this game as it should be, then I would like to challenge the following entries:

BagLady - 12/12/00 - Storeria occipitomaculata obscurus

Chelseabelle - 14/12/00 - Storeria occipitomaculata hidalgoensis

These are both "sub-species" of the species that was posted by dumbell on Monday of this week:

quote:

dumbell
posted 12-11-2000 10:14 AM

Storeria occipitomaculata
North America

Did not dumbell's entry include that entire species so that any sub-species would be precluded as entries from that point on?
And I know f***all about snakes.

Eh? Eh?
Do I have a case?
We are talking about seasoned players here.

------------------
Spill chequers dew knot awl weighs funk shun write.

[This message has been edited by Auschic34 (edited 12-14-2000).]

#63953 - Thu Dec 14 2000 10:03 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game 50 - Snake Charmers !!
chelseabelle Offline
Star Poster

Auschic, you have a case with BagLady, but not with me. Baglady's entry is, I believe, a subspecies of Storeria occipitomaculata (which is the species name, and was dumbell's entry). But, my entry is not a member of the same species--despite the superificial similarity in the names. My entry is actually a member of the species Storeria hidalgoensis. I checked this very carefully before I posted because I was aware of dumbell's entry as well as BagLady's, and I wanted to avoid a duplicate entry or an entry which had been covered by a broader classification. I can supply Sypher with a Web page to back up the fact that my entry is a different species from that of dumbell and BagLady.

Sypher really didn't make a ruling in this game regarding subspecies (or even regarding Family names for that matter). Since the week is almost up there might be little point in doing that now.

But, Auschic, oh competitive one, why aren't you defending your own entry which has been challenged by Fortunata and seconded by Karmaloupster?

#63954 - Thu Dec 14 2000 10:09 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game 50 - Snake Charmers !!
Anonymous
No longer registered

Because there was absolutely no need after your eloquent defense.
Thankyou sweetheart!
I was merely taking advantage of the rule that Sypher himself suggested as have many others during the week.

------------------

#63955 - Thu Dec 14 2000 10:14 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game 50 - Snake Charmers !!
chelseabelle Offline
Star Poster

Auschic--since you are in such a competitive mood why don't you challenge dumbell's designation, "North America"? That's not exactly a country--or a precise location.

And the snake I posted for today is only found in Mexico. I do not believe that is true of BagLady's entry.

#63956 - Thu Dec 14 2000 10:31 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game 50 - Snake Charmers !!
Anonymous
No longer registered

The rule:

quote:
4. A Location / Country must be attached with your entry.

Both Dumbell and BagLady supplied a "Location/Country" as the rules stated they should. North America is a location although not terribly precise.
Regarding Baglady's "Location/Country", I don't believe the rules stated the "location/Country" attached had to actually be related to the Snake in your entry in any way did they?
The country you attached could be the country you were born in couldn't it? Or the country you would most like to visit given the chance surely not?
Someone tell me I'm wrong.

Your unstated question of course Chels is why am I picking on you? And you know the answer to that.
A true bitch and competitor will eliminate the most threatening rivals of course. Take it as a compliment treasure. You're scaring the **** out of me and I can't keep up with you. LOL

I love this game. It gets the blood pumping! It has been a while.

------------------

#63957 - Thu Dec 14 2000 11:40 PM Re: Snake Talk - Game 50 - Snake Charmers !!
Ausguy34 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: serenity NOW!!!
Basil Fawlty to O'Reilly the shoddy builder after he had unknowingly awakened the fury in Sybil.

"no don't smile, please don't smile"

#63958 - Fri Dec 15 2000 12:24 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game 50 - Snake Charmers !!
chelseabelle Offline
Star Poster

Auschic, I am truly honored to be picked on by you I know you have been feeling my hot little breath on your neck in this game. I feel privileged that I am even able to keep up with you.

But, we can't forget the rest of the pack--So, I am going to challenge Pinhead's use of the word "kennicott" as part of her entry.
I am using a very good database--not infallible, but very, very good. Pinhead's entry, according to my sources, should include only the first three words of her entry. I challenge "kennicott" as being an invalid part of the entry. It sounds like the name of the person who may have discovered that particular subspecies. But, snakes are not named after people as far as I can tell--particularly with regard to their Latin names.

Sypher--can you verify Pinhead's complete entry?

#63959 - Fri Dec 15 2000 02:30 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game 50 - Snake Charmers !!
Sypher Offline

England UK    
Let's see if I can answer all of the questions posed....Hmmmmmmmm....NOPE !! I'm just gonna summarized....lol

Auschic your challenge is denied. No Rule was made for this game...Nice try but no cigar !!

Fortunata - Your challenge was deflected by the great defence of Chelseabelle in support of Auschic. No need for me to say anything.

Karma - You are on drugs !! LOL 'Nuff Said !!

Chelseabelle - Pinhead's entry is indeed INVALID due to being an incorrect scientific name for that snake. It is indeed one word too long....looks like someone got greedy !! This has been confirmed on several sites and not because I felt like saying it...lol

------------------
Heaven helps Angels, but the Devil get's the best jobs !!

#63960 - Fri Dec 15 2000 03:02 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game 50 - Snake Charmers !!
Anonymous
No longer registered

It was a nice try wasn't it Sypher?
I hope you still ask for verification despite Chelseabells's very smooth and pursuasive argument in her defense. You know how women can turn things around.

And Chels, I'm glad it was you who challenged Pincredulous' entry today. I know Sypher was just about to throw me out of the game and I believe I heard the low chantings of a lynch mob forming behind the Staff Lounge Room.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Accordianated: Ability to drive and refold a road map at the same time.

#63961 - Fri Dec 15 2000 09:21 AM Re: Snake Talk - Game 50 - Snake Charmers !!
Anonymous
No longer registered

Chels,
You have made a mistake in your entry.
I think you had better go and fix it up before anyone sees it.
I know you are very particular about these things.

Congrats Hon!
Why didn't you use that 38 pointer you had up your sleeve?

------------------

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002