Rules
Terms of Use

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#683392 - Mon Jan 23 2012 05:47 PM Re: Phrases I would like banned
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong HongKong
OK, NOW I have one that gets right up my nose, seriously(sorry George)
Why oh why are people, especially teens(isn't it usually?) saying:
"I Heart -" instead of "I Love-" when there is a red heart? It drives me bonkers!

#683464 - Tue Jan 24 2012 07:16 AM Re: Phrases I would like banned
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Bedford England�UK���...
"There's no answer: you'll have to ring back later (because it would kill me to leave a message asking them to ring you)."

"This is a small branch: you'll have to go to another branch 20 miles away (because it's too much trouble for us to order one in for you here)."

"You have to understand..." Do I really?
I appreciate people who are civil, whether they mean it or not. I think: Be civil. Do not cherish your opinion over my feelings. There's a vanity to candor that isn't really worth it. Be kind. ~ Richard Greenberg

#691433 - Sat Feb 18 2012 10:25 AM Re: Phrases I would like banned
AdamM7 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cheshire EnglandUK
Originally Posted By: tezza1551
My least favourite expression, and the one I'd like banned.."my bad"...
Your bad what ? Manners, teeth, breath ?

I don't mind it used once or twice, but whatever happened to "Sorry"? And the way people act like saying "my bad" makes it okay drives me round the bend.

Originally Posted By: sue943
"Like" as in peppering sentences.

I was like so totally about to like say that like just right now!

Originally Posted By: Copago
BFF

and

'freaking'

smirk

I used to hear "BFF" all the time years ago, and I got really annoyed. What person has the same best friend all their life? And what about in the afterlife? You might never see your friends there.

"I feel you, man" - I don't really want to be felt, especially not when I'm upset. Luckily I don't hear it that often.

Edited to make a sentence make sense (or as much sense as a sentence with that many likes will ever make).

Edited by AdamM7 (Sat Feb 18 2012 10:26 AM)

~(_8(I)

#691580 - Sat Feb 18 2012 05:14 PM Re: Phrases I would like banned
tezza1551 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WesternAustralia
On the "have a nice day" phrase, I had it said to me the day of my husband's funeral...so I told her what I was doing that day, and that it was most defintely NOT going to be "nice".
Her response was that the manager insisted they say it to every customer. I suggested she tell the manager that in many cases, it was unappreciated !
Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!

#691634 - Sat Feb 18 2012 07:00 PM Re: Phrases I would like banned
MikeMaster99 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Melbourne VICAustralia
A pet peeve of mine is the constant overuse of 'star' and 'champion' in the media. When reporting on some other event, an actor (either gender) is always a 'star' even if they've only appeared in toothpaste commercials and anyone who has made even a fleeting appearance on televised sport is always a 'champion'.

Because I teach at uni, I'm exposed to most of the 'new speak' including incorporation of internet acronyms into everyday sentences (e.g. 'lol' as a word), but as noted in earlier posts 'my bad' still grates...

#691642 - Sat Feb 18 2012 07:46 PM Re: Phrases I would like banned
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia
Mike, you can add 'hero' to that list.

Ex-Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#691660 - Sat Feb 18 2012 09:29 PM Re: Phrases I would like banned
Creedy Offline
Prolific

Loc: Coffs Harbour NSW Australia
I have several that make me grind my teeth.

"Kewl" in correspondence. If people must use the dopey expression, they could at least spell it correctly.

"Like" used after every second damn word. "Uh, like, you know, I went, like, to the shops, like" etc etc etc.

"A ballpark figure" - public servants are fond of that one. What the heck is a ballpark figure? For me, it's a baseball player.

"A level playing field" - last time I heard a public servant use that term, I finally decided to ask for an explanation. He looked blank and replied "Uh, like, you know, like.."

And now they're replacing the "like" here with "Yeah" instead. "Uh, yeah, well, yeah, I said to her, yeah" etc.

Finally, politicians who repeat everything, as in "We will spend our money on education. We will spend our money on health. We will spend out money on roads" etc. Why can't they just say, "We will spend our money on education, health and roads"? (Not that the idiots do any of the above).

#691680 - Sat Feb 18 2012 09:59 PM Re: Phrases I would like banned
ozzz2002 Offline

I recently spoke to someone in the finance business and he suggested that I should get all my ducks in a row. This raises a few questions, such as-

1) Where should I get some ducks at short notice?

2) How many would I need?

3) Is there an advantage in ducks being row-ed, as opposed to unrow-ed?

4) What on earth do ducks have to do with my retirement fund?

It seems that I was not in the loop and could not see the big picture (of what, I ask?). Perhaps I should have been empowered to facilitate a solution going forward (as opposed to zig-zagging?). No-one gave me a heads up about the methodology, so I had to literally (which I took to mean 'figuratively) leverage the paradigm (I have yet to meet anyone that can define THAT word). I synergised myself (oops, can I do that in public?), and went hunting for a box to think outside of.

I touched base with the stakeholders, and enabled the dog and pony show, conceptualised some blue-sky thinking then charted out the bottom line.

I thought I was on top of everything until someone mentioned that there was an elephant in the room! I looked around in panic, but saw nothing- perhaps it was in the box? smile

#691682 - Sat Feb 18 2012 10:12 PM Re: Phrases I would like banned
MikeMaster99 Offline
Mainstay

That's wonderful, ozzz2002!!

During many insufferable meetings, I have been exposed to all of the above phrases (including "Getting all the ducks in a row") - I'm beginning to suspect that this intentional creation of bureaucratic waffle is the verbal equivalent of the Emperor's New Clothes. It's meant to hide the fact there's simply nothing behind it - certainly no intellectual substance.

Now scientific jargon on the other hand... :-)

#691775 - Sun Feb 19 2012 12:05 AM Re: Phrases I would like banned
Creedy Offline
Prolific

Having sat through interminable meetings, I agree with both of you. They bore me witless.

At a heads of department meeting one of my sisters had to attend at her work, she said they spent the ENTIRE day - arguing about the wording of one paragraph. They were trying to produce a booklet. Work enough there for the next twenty years I imagine. By the time it's produced, it'll be time for another new one.

Let's not forget their books full of acronyms, either. It's a whole new language when they start tossing them around.

#691808 - Sun Feb 19 2012 03:45 AM Re: Phrases I would like banned
ozzz2002 Offline

Dilbert is my hero. smile

#691809 - Sun Feb 19 2012 03:48 AM Re: Phrases I would like banned
AdamM7 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cheshire EnglandUK
Originally Posted By: MikeMaster99
Because I teach at uni, I'm exposed to most of the 'new speak' including incorporation of internet acronyms into everyday sentences (e.g. 'lol' as a word), but as noted in earlier posts 'my bad' still grates...

I don't mind "lol" used online, but if someone said it to me in the street (In the street? Surely they'd say it to me on the pavement or at the very least on top of the street.) then I'd probably just stare at them and say "What?". For one thing, you don't usually go around telling people to laugh out loud, people tend to do that on their own if they find something funny.

~(_8(I)

#691965 - Sun Feb 19 2012 05:12 PM Re: Phrases I would like banned
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
Quote:
I recently spoke to someone in the finance business and he suggested that I should get all my ducks in a row...

Oh, Ozzz, well done! [Reminder to self - stop drinking coffee whilst reading the forums. It's too hard to clean sprayed coffee off the keyboard and monitor].

#692018 - Sun Feb 19 2012 07:18 PM Re: Phrases I would like banned
flopsymopsy Offline

Administrator

Loc: Northampton England UK
Are they Lucky Ducks? Only if you have more than one lined up I know several people who'd increase your pension fund to get one. wink

#692024 - Sun Feb 19 2012 07:35 PM Re: Phrases I would like banned
tezza1551 Offline
Enthusiast

Ozzzz, I have a quantity of ducks on the creek that runs through the farm. If you work out how to get them in a row, could you plese tell me, as I think it would make an interesting tourist attraction...
Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!

#692026 - Sun Feb 19 2012 07:51 PM Re: Phrases I would like banned
MikeMaster99 Offline
Mainstay

Tezza, if you do perform this feat, it must be "benchmarked" of course.... (another on my 'intensely disliked' list)

#692137 - Mon Feb 20 2012 03:54 AM Re: Phrases I would like banned
C30 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Lancashire EnglandUK
"It has to be said......." (No it doesn't)

"I am so pleased to be here" (TV presenter.....I bet he/she is for the inflated sum they are being payed)

#692142 - Mon Feb 20 2012 05:35 AM Re: Phrases I would like banned
Creedy Offline
Prolific

And middle-aged men who call me "Babe".

Anything less like a babe am I.

#692162 - Mon Feb 20 2012 08:14 AM Re: Phrases I would like banned
C30 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Lancashire EnglandUK
A few more to keep the pot boiling:-

"We will play to get a result" (0-0,1-0,0-1......they'e all results for heavens sake)

"I am over the moon" (what's wrong with "very pleased")

"Sick as a parrot" (actually I am not happy, like........had to throw a "like" in)

"There will be redundancies" (you will be sacked, the bosses will remain)

"For customer comfort" (for profit)

Creedy............that include OLD men Babe? grin

Edited by C30 (Mon Feb 20 2012 08:16 AM)

#693830 - Fri Feb 24 2012 09:07 PM Re: Phrases I would like banned
MikeMaster99 Offline
Mainstay

More sporting cliches from post-match interviews (why do they bother?):

The boys put in 110% today.

Yes, we greatly respect our opponents (after thrashing them).

We're not looking towards the finals (play-offs), we're only looking at next week.

We confident X will be available to play next week (despite X being carried off on a stretcher with compound leg fractures and a ruptured spleen)

Team management "We have great confidence in our coach" translates to the coach hurriedly checking the employment section of the newspaper

#693834 - Fri Feb 24 2012 10:12 PM Re: Phrases I would like banned
tezza1551 Offline
Enthusiast

Mike, have you been listening to those dills on the AFL Footy Show ?
Have to say, "Marngrook" on ABC 2 beats it hands down ! (A much better class of dill !)

#693836 - Fri Feb 24 2012 10:43 PM Re: Phrases I would like banned
MikeMaster99 Offline
Mainstay

Tezza, I only caught on to "Marngrook" towards the end of last season and thought it was great and will definitely watch it again this year. I haven't watched the Footy Show for many years - I got sick of the vicious "humour" and neanderthal attitudes.

For non Aussie Rules supporters, a few more 'sporting' phrases I never want to hear again, but know I will within the next few weeks:

We have to execute the little things a little better (well, actually executing some of the players might be a start!)

He (she) was on fire tonight...

The game was the winner (i.e. YOU lost)

#773714 - Mon Feb 27 2012 02:46 AM Re: Phrases I would like banned
vendome Offline
Prolific

Loc: Body: PA USA Heart:Paris
Often weathermen/women mention a "rain event". This sounds like something you should run out and buy tickets for.

"Closure" gets on my nerves too. Frequently the police use this word to describe a family's expected reaction to the resolution of a terrible crime. Wounds caused by murder, death and other crimes never close.

#773721 - Mon Feb 27 2012 05:02 AM Re: Phrases I would like banned
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
ChannelIslands
Being a crafter I spend a fair amount of time with a craft channel on television being on, either being watched or more often in the background so that I can go and watch something which sounds interesting.

I find that the presenters can use some very strange words and expressions and some really annoys me like 'colourise, colourising and colourised', what is wrong with colour, colouring, coloured?

Edited by sue943 (Mon Feb 27 2012 05:03 AM)

#774055 - Mon Feb 27 2012 09:31 PM Re: Phrases I would like banned
bitterlyold Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Arkansas USA
Well, here in Arkansas, the use of the letter "u" in the word color. But I'm no crafter, just crafty. LOL.

I agree with you though that, all too often, television personalities (presenters in your world) try to sound hoity-toity. meh. You just go on and colour instead of coulourise.

I'll just splash some paint on something and say, "well, that's just plain ugly!" LOL

Cheers!

-- The soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts.
Marcus Aurelius

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943