Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#6787 - Fri Apr 05 2002 01:40 PM NTL Service
A Member Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: †
Anyone else in the UK having problems logging on to the NTL service - I've just lost the free internet use (being NTL telephone as well meant free calls)1 and opted to pay the monthly subscription - which started today (as I understand it from the mass of words in the contract) Today I tried 7 times to connect before the site responded. Got on - cut off ;::: Didn't recognise password (despite the fact I don't hide it);::::: Computer didn't respond;::::: No Dialling Tone!!!!!!!(despite the fact it rang);::::
Got on tried to read e-mail :Couldnt find the home site.(this must annoy the people who pay by the minute as it took 8 and a half minutes from log on to the message to find out your not connected to the site)

#6788 - Fri Apr 05 2002 07:47 PM Re: NTL Service
Babes Offline
Participant

Loc: USA
You are not alone,alot of UK users of NTL services from what I gather have tons of problems with them,from A to Z.Your best bet is to go with cable its more reliable!

#6789 - Sat Apr 06 2002 10:59 AM Re: NTL Service
Jeeves Offline
Explorer

Loc: UK
Hello Fosse, I'm on NTL broadband with a cable modem and I have had no problems with the service. The one thing that could be better with their Internet service is being able to talk to a human if there are problems. They seem to hide behind email addresses that generate no response and phone numbers that never lead to the person who knows the answer.

The digital cable service is ok, though I am still waiting for stereo sound and teletext.

#6790 - Sun Apr 07 2002 12:41 AM Re: NTL Service
A Member Offline
Multiloquent

Hi Jeeves,

You must be on a very good salary to phone their query line at a £1 a minute - if you wait as long as I do to get an answer after connecting to the service it's costing you a fortune!

#6791 - Sun Apr 07 2002 04:35 AM Re: NTL Service
allynellie Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ayrshire Scotland†UK††††††
hi fosse4,

i, like jeeves, have the NTL broadband service and have not experienced any difficulties, but i did have difficulties when i initially installed broadband service - NTL were not very competent about how they organised this - customer services were better - i phoned the 151 number instead of any other number to complain - they were a bit more helpful with it then

can you phone 151 for this? [Big Grin] [Confused] [Eek!]

#6792 - Sun Apr 07 2002 09:42 AM Re: NTL Service
Jeeves Offline
Explorer

Loc: UK
Hello Fosse, I've never tried the help lines that make a charge, did you get a sensible answer from them? I used the number for the cable modem service and then went through the routine of listening to messages and pressing buttons on the phone before speaking to someone who didn't have a clue. The second time I did manage to get though to a person with some knowledge who solved my problem.

#6793 - Sat Apr 13 2002 12:57 AM Re: NTL Service
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
I have found NTL to be much better these days. I do have a few occassions when I can't connect to the server but this is usually in the early mornings and it lasts for perhaps half an hour. I don't phone up about this now.

Also, when phoning 151, it seems to be much quicker to get to talk to someone.

I have read that people do have trouble with various aspects of NTL but personally I have always found their service to be pretty good.

L&Ms Pastimes Website

mart.lyn@ntlworld.com

#6794 - Tue Apr 16 2002 12:28 PM Re: NTL Service
A Member Offline
Multiloquent

Perhaps after the take over and injection of cash things will get better.

#6795 - Wed Apr 17 2002 02:21 AM Re: NTL Service
Sypher Offline

Loc: East London
England†UK††††
Just about to go NTL Broadband in the next couple of weeks and so far I have found them on one occasion to be helpful and on another occasion (on the same day) to be honest and helpful !!

Huh ? I hear you say.....Well, when I got thru to their sales dept. I was told I would need the Broadband package...ie..Cable to hook up my pc to the digital box and it would cost about £25. Thinking I needed that...I said sure...add it to the bill !!

I then rang back an hour or so later because I forgot to ask something and the person I ended up talking to, told me to forget the package as it is a rip-off and you could get the same length of cable in a independant computer store for £7.50 !!
He then cancelled my request for the package and saved me my money with his honesty !!

Shame there are not enough people like that !!

#6796 - Wed Apr 17 2002 03:46 AM Re: NTL Service
georgeprice Offline
Mainstay

Loc: London England†UK††††††
fosse4 - I don't personally have any dealings with NTl as when we first moved to our new flat (in Dagenham - hardly the back of beyond)we were told that NTL didn't cover our area. I then got speaking to my sister who works for a property management co/letting agency type company and they had NTL in about 50% of their properties providing telephone/internet/TV services. The amount of time her and her colleagues spent everyday trying to sort out bills/their service/faults etc was unbelievable. NTL she said were the bain of her life. They have now switched to other provders and have much less hassle.

When the NTL man came round after they'd deigned to lay cable in our area the other half wanted to go for it, but (I might not get my way with the remote control) I put my foot down and said we were sticking with BT!!

amberg

#6797 - Sat Apr 20 2002 05:14 PM Re: NTL Service
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
Sypher - I have heard that broadband can be a bit heavy on computer resources when connected via a USB port. The other way to connect is to install an ethernet card in the computer and connect using that. It's supposed to be lots better. Whether having a fast computer with lots of memory lessens this effect I'm not sure. It might be worth looking into though.

If you would like me to find out more let me know. I can contact someone who knows the relevant website to go to for explanations.

Moderator:  flopsymopsy, ladymacb29