There will be gales of laughter in Heaven around about now as one of the funniest men of his generation takes his place among the great comedians who have gone there before.

I refer to Frank Carson, the Belfast-born comedian who has died at the age of 85.
In his long career, Carson was loved for his machine-gun delivery of jokes.

Carson was not one of the 'new breed' of comedians who stand on stage making something 'funny' about their neuroses or paranoias, his was the world of the one-liner and the well-structured joke leading to a proper punchline.

Judge for yourself, here are some of Frank Carson's best:

"A fella walks into a pet shop and says: “Give me wasp.” The shopkeeper replies: “We don't sell wasps.” He says: “There's one in the window.”

"I was in a restaurant in the Far East and ordered the octopus, the waiter said it would take four hours, why's that I asked? It keeps turning the gas off he says"

"I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance."

"Paddy calls a wrong number at 3am. "Is that O'Malley's Bar?" he asks. "No it's not, this is a private residence." "Oh, I must have the wrong number. Sorry to have troubled you," says Paddy. "Ah it's no trouble," says the stranger. "I had to get up to answer the phone anyway."

And finally...

"My wife said to me: 'If you won the lottery, would you still love me?' I said: 'Of course I would. I'd miss you, but I'd still love you."