Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#70458 - Sun Dec 09 2001 03:55 PM Good Christmas CD's for Holiday Cheer
malizma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Nashville
Tennessee USA   ...
IMy husband and I love the holidays and collect Christmas Cd's of all types. Here is a quick list of some good one's if you are interested. Also, what are some of your recommendadtins ?

1) Jazzy Wonderland-Various artists. Great Cd for the Jazz lover that features Harry Connick Jr. Branford Marsalis, Traut/Rodby Trio, Tony Bennett
2) Dan Fogelberg: "First Christmas Morning"-very good Cd if you like a more folksy sound. This Cd has everything from We Three Kings to an original piece called at Christmas Time that is my son's favorite.
3) Kenny Loggins: "December"-lush and romantic in nature. This is a great one for quiet nights by the fire side.
4) Michael McDonald: (can't remember the name, sorry), brand new release-very soulful collection. Not very much traditional on this one. But it is very well done original material. However, the coolest song on this one is his version of "Children Go Where I Send Thee."
5) Mannheim Steamroller Live: I LOVE the final song on this CD.
6) Ringo Starr: I Want To Be Santa Claus: THis is for more light-hearted fare. It is a terrific CD !!!!! The Little Drummer Boy is worth the whole CD.
7) Windham Hill Reunion; Very quiet music but very well done. Last song by Tuck And Patti sends shivers down my spine.

That's just a few good ones. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year !!

#70459 - Sun Dec 09 2001 04:24 PM Re: Good Christmas CD's for Holiday Cheer
LilSpikey Offline
Mainstay

Loc: North Carolina USA
The best Christmas albums are Now That's What I Call Christmas, and SheDaisy's Brand New Year.
"Now" is part of the Now That's What I Call Music series, and this one is 2 CDs, with both classic Christmas music like Gene Autry and Bing Crosby, and modern Christmas hits.

#70460 - Mon Dec 10 2001 07:43 AM Re: Good Christmas CD's for Holiday Cheer
littleowl1412 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Surrey England UK        
Hiya! I love Christmas albums!!
All my recommendations are from the 90s- hope you like them:

I have to agree with Lilspikey about Shedaisy's Brand New Year- it takes a little getting used to though- its great to hear a mix of traditional and experimental!!

Merry Christmas- Mariah Carey- a mixture of pop/gospel, Its from 1994 so has none of her recent RnB influence

These Are Special Times-Celine Dion- a lot of lovely soulful Christmas ballads. Nice for winding down to!

My Kind Of Christmas- Christina Aguilera-there goes the Britney compariosn out the window!! Christina proves she can really belt it out like a true diva! V.pop-RnB as you'd expect

8 Days Of Christmas- Destiny's Child- not perfect (in her solo spot Michelle massacres O Holy Night with her feeble voice) but a nice RnB flavoured effort.

Snowflakes-Toni Braxton- new this year this isn't getting nearly enough attention. Soulful ballads and christmas classics sung in a pretty understated way.

White Christmas- Martina McBride- If you're expecting country forget it- classic christmas carols and ballads. Nice to hear her using her voice in a different way- she makes as gretat a pop singer as she does a country one.

Star Bright- Vanessa williams- another overlooked gem. Her voice is gorgeous.

Also check out Platinum Christmas- a collection of contemporary pop and RnB singers from Whitney to TLC to S Club & doing new and traditional Christmas tracks.

Merry Christmas and enjoy the music!! Littleowl

#70461 - Mon Dec 10 2001 10:24 PM Re: Good Christmas CD's for Holiday Cheer
malizma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Nashville
Tennessee USA   ...
Hey little owl, since you like the soulful type-check outh the Michael McDonald Cd- it is very impressively soulful with a real R and B flair. Very up!!

#70462 - Tue Dec 11 2001 05:50 AM Re: Good Christmas CD's for Holiday Cheer
LilSpikey Offline
Mainstay

Loc: North Carolina USA
I have to agree with Littleowl about the Christina Aguilera. It's a great tape. Be sure to buy all the holiday music you want this time of year. The holiday music is hard to find. If you miss out on one, look at used CD stores and music shops at the mall. The small stores sometimes have rare CDs.

Moderator:  SilverMoonsong, Sypher