Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#70778 - Tue Dec 11 2001 05:35 AM Harmony
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
I'm wondering if you have examples of good harmony in music. I mean people who sing as if they were one!
I have to say that Simon and Garfunkel have some of the sweetest and innovative harmony that I've ever heard. The Beatles of course, and maybe Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.

You'll notice that relatives often manage this very well, there is a group in Hawaii, the Cazimero brothers and those guys can do the best harmony I can imagine.

I have some more modern groups in mind but I'll let you suggest them.

I might add that what I value most in singing is harmony and that as a singer I was almost also a better harmonist than a soloist.

#70779 - Tue Dec 11 2001 06:59 AM Re: Harmony
vikan Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Casselberry Fl  USA  
I'm not much of a singer, can't even carry a tune. However, when I think harmony, I think of the Everly Brothers, Don and Phil.

#70780 - Tue Dec 11 2001 08:25 AM Re: Harmony
littleowl1412 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Surrey England UK        
A modern example - country-pop trio Shedaisy pulls off some pretty impressive harmonies in my opinion. Funnily enough they're sisters- maybe this sibling thing is true!

In terms of 'classic' groups I can't think harmonies without thinbking of the Beach Boys!

See ya!

#70781 - Tue Dec 11 2001 08:42 AM Re: Harmony
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Silly me, I'd forgotten the Beach Boys! I was thinking of a group that probably no one has heard of...the Mills Brothers. A group of four who had just about the sweetest harmony in the the forties you could imagine.

There's another pair I'm thinking of and I can't remember their names, two rather handsome guys with curly longish hair (ok ok I sound like a groupie). They play acoustic guitars. I heard them on the radio then it cut out when I got into the garage. THey look a bit like they could pose on the mountain man type covers of true romance novels.

#70782 - Tue Dec 11 2001 07:04 PM Re: Harmony
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Melbourne
VIC Australia
Are you thinking about those Extreme boys (oh, that was a while ago!) Or the Proclaimers? (oh, sing it with me: "I'm on ma wee, from misery ta 'apiness tadee - aha aha aha aha")
...sorry, just got a little distracted then
!

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: tanzen ]

#70783 - Tue Dec 11 2001 07:18 PM Re: Harmony
malizma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Nashville
Tennessee USA   ...
Boyz 2 Men have excellent harmony. All the ones you have mentioned I would definitely agree with. I also think James Taylor's back up group are probably some of the tightest harmonies in the business. It is no wonder he has basically the same 4 people on all his tours. Kenny Loggins used to have an incredible band that could harmonize beautifully.

#70784 - Wed Dec 12 2001 02:12 PM Re: Harmony
MMSOMMERS Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: simi valley ca
silly you is right!!! :.) You are forgetting the most successful rock/family trio in history The Bee Gees!! Who were inspired by the Mills bros. They are brothers so they have very tight harmonies. They have been discribed as one voice, one microphone. If you have not listened to them and you love harmony you will truly appreciate thier music.
They started singing when they were very young 6yrs to 9 yrs old

Michelle

#70785 - Wed Dec 12 2001 02:35 PM Re: Harmony
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

The Bee Gees were very good as they had the discant thing like no one ever did. I mean with the high voices they could have an incredible range.

Oh I know, of course, the Pointer Sisters!
And what about those singers who were A Cappella...who did the fifties numbers? I used to love them too. I cannot for the life of me remember their name. They sang in the eighties.

By the way, I've put a message for you up in the welcome center as you're a post 5000th member so welcome in any case! But I'm glad you've put your first post here in this thread. We have a rather, spirited group in the music section.

For me a good harmonist has to sacrifice the glory for the whole! My daughter and I were thinking of Celine Dion and Barbra Streisand's duo, but it seemed a bit too Diva to us.
If you don't, you stick out.

#70786 - Thu Dec 13 2001 06:57 AM Re: Harmony
littleowl1412 Offline
Explorer

Bruyere- I have to agree with your daughter- celine and barbra really did harmonise beautifully on Tell Him! What about En Vogue- they've done some gorgeous harmonising on disc- some of it acapella! Those girls can sing!! I agree about Boyz II Men too - if you've ever heard the acapella version of their duet with mariah you'd know it should've been the single version- it beats the original by a long way (and I'm a huge MC fan!!)
See ya!

#70787 - Thu Dec 13 2001 09:39 AM Re: Harmony
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

LittleOwl, Sylvie sends her greetings like a butterfly glittering like a rainbow. Don't worry, you're amongst friends...
Let's put it this way, the best harmonists for me are people who don't try to stick out, therefore gospel singers are good, choirs, groups that work toward the common sound.

#70788 - Thu Dec 13 2001 10:08 AM Re: Harmony
SuperFurryAnimal Offline
Prolific

Loc: Glasgow UK
I know you've already mentioned C,S,N & Y, but what about The Byrds?

#70789 - Fri Dec 14 2001 12:43 AM Re: Harmony
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

But of course my leetle furry friend...
(OOOps I know you're about a foot taller than me!) The Byrds were good.
Heard a lovely Christmas carol on the way home...it was good.

#70790 - Thu Dec 13 2001 05:54 PM Re: Harmony
wez Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Norwich
England UK        
quote:
Originally posted by MMSOMMERS:
You are forgetting the most successful rock/family trio in history The Bee Gees!!
They started singing when they were very young 6yrs to 9 yrs old

Michelle

Why oh why oh why oh why etc.........didn't they stop then?????????

wez

#70791 - Fri Dec 21 2001 11:49 AM Re: Harmony
littleowl1412 Offline
Explorer

I haven't been here for days so sorry to Bruyere and her daughter for taking sooo long to reply..... tell Sylvie 'Merry Christmas', I hope she gets 'all (she) wants for Christmas especially what she's been fantasising and daydreaming about!!!!

Merry Christmas!!!

#70792 - Sat Dec 22 2001 12:52 AM Re: Harmony
MMSOMMERS Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: simi valley ca
quote:
Originally posted by wez:
Why oh why oh why oh why etc.........didn't they stop then?????????

wez
To which I reply ignorance in bliss!!!
Michelle S

Moderator:  SilverMoonsong, Sypher