Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#71034 - Sat May 05 2001 12:23 AM Worst Remakes
Anonymous
No longer registered

Maybe I am just blind, but I couldn't find a thread about the worst remakes.

This is in my head, because I heard two of the worst today:

Sheryl Crow doing "Sweet Child of Mine"
Metallica (and guests) doing "Tuesday's Gone"

#71035 - Tue May 08 2001 11:19 PM Re: Worst Remakes
TrueBlueGolde Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: A bar on the astral plane
Hrm, well, this was tougher than I thought. During the 80's Tiffany did a version of "I think we're alone now" (Tommy James) and it was not very wonderful.

OH! Madonna doing "American Pie" ! HIDEOUS.

#71036 - Thu May 10 2001 11:08 PM Re: Worst Remakes
greenstar Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belgium - member of the resist...
I don't know who sings it and I don't have to know (!), but there's a tune on the radio I really hate the last time. It's a sort of R&B cover of Broken Wings by Mr. Mister.
That's a great song, but the version you hear constantly now, sucks.

Tom

#71037 - Fri May 11 2001 01:06 AM Re: Worst Remakes
Sypher Offline

Loc: East London
England UK    
One song that I particulary dislike is 'We Will Rock You' by 5IVE. The original is way better by Queen.

Problem with remakes is that they usually sell and the kids that buy them have no idea that someone else had actually done it before.

Another example is Damien singing The TimeWarp. The original version sang in 'Rocky Horror Picture Show' was fantastic as far as part songs go, but the remake had a new dancebeat to it which makes it unbearable !!

Bring back the Originals !!

#71038 - Fri May 11 2001 11:54 PM Re: Worst Remakes
Anonymous
No longer registered

How about when Faith Hill did "Piece of my Heart"...uh-no.

#71039 - Mon May 14 2001 04:46 PM Re: Worst Remakes
Nyssa Offline
Participant

I like to keep track of remakes, so this is a great thread for me. The worst covers I've ever heard were:

"American Woman" covered by Lenny Kravitz
"Time After Time" covered by INOJ
"Christmas Wrapping" covered by the Spice Girls
"Faith" covered by Limp Bizkit
"Across the Universe" covered by Fiona Apple
"Satisfaction" covered by Britney Spears
"Come On Eileen" covered by Save Ferris
"Mrs.Robinson" covered by the Lemonheads

Now I MUST mention most of the tracks on a horrendous tribute album I once owned(no longer, thank god). This is a sample of some of the most rancid covers I've ever heard on one album:

"Gold Dust Woman" covered by Sister Hazel
"Songbird" covered by Duncan Sheik
"Never Going Back Again" covered by Matchbox 20
"Don't Stop" covered by Elton John
"The Chain" covered by Shawn Colvin
"You Make Loving Fun" covered by Jewel
"I Don't Want To Know" covered by the Goo Goo Dolls

....there were some more on that album, ALL terrible. Just so you know what album I am speaking of, it's called "Legacy: A Tribute To Fleetwood Mac's Rumours". Stay far far far away from it at all costs!

I might post back later with some more bad covers...I love to talk about "worst of" stuff.

#71040 - Wed May 16 2001 01:12 PM Re: Worst Remakes
Temptresstoo Offline
Participant

Loc: Pensacola Florida USA        
HELLO...remakes that SUCK...can we say EVERYTHING Puff Daddy ever did????

LOL!

#71041 - Sat Jun 09 2001 03:59 PM Re: Worst Remakes
Anonymous
No longer registered

(Reply To Callie)

Metallica's cover of Tuesday's gone was Brilliant. I loved Lynyrd Skynyrd's and Metallica's version. Metallica played that song very raw and that is what hat song is about.

Oh, and Tempress, your very right about Puff Daddy, Right On.

#71042 - Sun Jun 10 2001 01:43 AM Re: Worst Remakes
Anonymous
No longer registered

Ricochet-I respectfully disagree. To me, their version was an unholy mess that took away the Southern Rock charm of the original. Frankly, it's painful for me to listen to.

#71043 - Sun Jun 10 2001 02:10 AM Re: Worst Remakes
tomije Offline
Prolific

Loc: St. Paul
Minnesota USA
I'd like to invert this a little bit, as I don't think I can think of a horrible cover that hasn't been mentioned (aside from Michael Bolton's "On the Dock of the Bay", for which he should have been shot for). Don't steal a dead man's signature song!

I would like to nominate a cover that made a horrible original sound good--Travis' cover of Ms. Spears' "...One More Time". They make that song sound good.

-- H.L. Mencken

#71044 - Mon Jun 11 2001 03:13 AM Re: Worst Remakes
hegley Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: UK
This is very spooky - I was thinking about bad cover versions this weekend and was going to put a posting on cos I'd thought of a couple that really bug me -

All Saints doing Red Hot Chilli Pepper's "Under the Bridge" - criminal.

Mariah Carey "Without you" - in fact, anything Ms Carey does, because she just can't help herself doing that top pitch screechy thing at the the end of every single freakin' record.

I have to agree with Tom re Travis - "One more time" is absolutely superb, Fran Healy is such a star.

Other cover versions I really like - Guns n Roses - "Live and let Die" and Wheatus "A little respect".

#71045 - Mon Jun 11 2001 10:56 AM Re: Worst Remakes
IndieQueen Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania USA
Every cover Metallica has ever done, especially "Turn the Page" that was just awful.

Britney Spears cover of "Satisfaction"
Jordan Knight's cover of "I could Never Take the Place of Your Man." someone should be shot for this one.

Indie

#71046 - Tue Jun 12 2001 12:27 PM Re: Worst Remakes
StevieRay Offline
Explorer

Loc: NY
OK folks - you're not even close.

Has anyone heard some of the music recorded by our friends from Star Trek. Both Leonard Nimoy and William Shattner have recorded albums (separately). Two gems that come to mind are Mr. Tambourine Man as done by Shattner and Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds by Nimoy. An true low in music history :-P

#71047 - Mon Jun 18 2001 08:38 PM Re: Worst Remakes
Anonymous
No longer registered

I like Metallica's version of Tuesday's Gone, and I have got to hear All Saint's verison of Under The Bridge!

#71048 - Tue Jul 03 2001 07:57 PM Re: Worst Remakes
malizma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Nashville
Tennessee USA   ...
Sorry to insult anyone, but so far the worst I have ever heard is Marilyn Manson's remake of Eurythmics' "Here Comes the Rain Again." I love Annie Lennox. I just shivered when I heard this remake.

#71049 - Wed Jul 04 2001 09:26 AM Re: Worst Remakes
IndieQueen Offline
Forum Champion

Pennsylvania USA
quote:
Originally posted by malizma:
Sorry to insult anyone, but so far the worst I have ever heard is Marilyn Manson's remake of Eurythmics' "Here Comes the Rain Again." I love Annie Lennox. I just shivered when I heard this remake.

Manson covered "Sweet Dreams" not "Here Comes the Rain Again" I like Manson, but this is not one of his best works.

"Lady Marmalade" by Christina Agulera, Pink, Mya. Lil Kim etc..... has got to be the worst thing I've heard in ages, It makes me want to cover my ears and scream "Make it Stop!!"

Indie

[ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: IndieQueen ]

#71050 - Wed Jul 04 2001 07:54 PM Re: Worst Remakes
malizma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Nashville
Tennessee USA   ...
I'm sorry, that shows you how with it I am, I knew it was a Eurythmics song and listened for less than 20 seconds. That was enough for me. It has been about 4 years ago. Sorry for the "senior moment." Actually my former college roommate says that we are too young for senior moments so she calls them Pink Floyd MOments.

#71051 - Sun Jul 22 2001 09:48 PM Re: Worst Remakes
spak Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Embassy Baaru-Fia
Hey stevieray. A friend of mine used to be on CBC radio in canada every now and then doing a show on really bad music. My friend had a wicked collection of the absolutely worst music made. And Messrs. Nimoy and Shatner were close to the top of his list. They were actually worse singers than actors, which in shatner's case is a difficult task to manage.

#71052 - Fri Jul 27 2001 07:28 AM Re: Worst Remakes
SuperFurryAnimal Offline
Prolific

Loc: Glasgow UK
All versions of Lady Marmalade other than the original should be tracked down and shot.

That lame band that are currently doing the Erasure cover (I apologise, I appear to have wiped this information from my brain due to its offensive nature), they should also be shot.

Also as vague, some strange Goth woman doing the worst version of Jolene I have ever heard, also reasonably recent. It's difficult to harm that song too badly, it's THAT strong, but she managed to find the weaknesses - burn the witch.

BEST cover version ever : The Slits doing I Heard It Through The Grapevine. Disco, soul, punk, reggae, dub all mashed up for maximum groovery.

#71053 - Fri Jul 27 2001 07:31 AM Re: Worst Remakes
SuperFurryAnimal Offline
Prolific

Ah! That's right! The Erasure song is Respect.

#71054 - Fri Jul 27 2001 07:37 AM Re: Worst Remakes
IndieQueen Offline
Forum Champion

Pennsylvania USA
I think the lame band you're thinking of is Wheatus. I'm not too fond of that cover either.

Indie

#71055 - Fri Jul 27 2001 03:29 PM Re: Worst Remakes
SuperFurryAnimal Offline
Prolific

Yes, that's them...the full horror has now returned!!!
Also M-People (remember them) doing Itchykoo Park. The way that nasal foghorn voice pronounces the title is...just...horrific for all those who appreciate music. Whether you enjoyed the original or or not.

#71056 - Sun Jul 29 2001 06:51 PM Re: Worst Remakes
high_is_low Offline
Explorer

Loc: UK
I can't believe that no-one's mentioned Rolf Harris doing Stairway to Heaven (or was that so bad it was good?...)

Also Guns n Roses - Knockin on Heaven's Door
Louise - Stuck In The Middle With You (saw that on
MTV today: risible is the word)
Paul Young - Don't Dream Its Over
The Byrds - Mr Tambourine Man (bad covers are
not just a recent thing...)
And worst of all, Killing Me Softly by The Fugees.

#71057 - Sun Jul 29 2001 07:37 PM Re: Worst Remakes
SuperFurryAnimal Offline
Prolific

RE: William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy

Yes. Very bad, but not criminal. This falls into a very special category of covers that everyone loves BECAUSE they are horrible.

See also : Mrs Mills, anything.

#71058 - Mon Jul 30 2001 09:51 PM Re: Worst Remakes
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ottawa
Ontario Canada
I agree with the above on Manson's version of "Sweet Dreams" Madonna's "American Pie" and "Lady Marmalade".

I also want to add Shaggy's "Angel" which to me is just a really sucky version of "Angel of the Morning", and the remake of that one song... I can't remember the name of it, but a whole bunch of rap artists got together and covered it when that guy died. That was horrible, too. You'd think they could at least honour him with an original song!!!

[ 07-30-2001: Message edited by: LadyCaitriona ]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  SilverMoonsong, Sypher