Terms of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#73804 - Sat Nov 17 2001 11:35 PM Favorite Christmas classics
malizma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Nashville
Tennessee USA   ...
We are getting close to Christmas. We have had this tthread before, but let's rehash it anyway. What are your favorite Christmas songs ? What is the best version you ever heard ? the strangest ?

My favorite sacred Christmas Pieces are: Silent Night, O, Holy Night and The First Noel

My favorite non-sacred pieces are: Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas and The Christmas Song

Mahalia Jackson did a beautiful version of Silent Night. I also heard a beautiful jazz version done by Nany Wilson where Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring is interspersed with it.

Nat King Cole does a beautiful version of O Holy Night as does Michael Ball. I don't know that I've heard an odd rendition of this one.

I have several versions of the First Noel. the most unusual is done by the Modern mandolin Quartet. It is still very pretty.

Kenny Loggins, Judy Collins, Chicago, and Judy Garland have beautiful versions of Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. Chicago's is a different version but I still like it. My husband has a very unusual recording of a saxophone quartet playing it in odd meters and odd keys.

Nat king Cole still does my favorite version of Mel Torme's "The Christmas Song". I also love Tony Bennett's version. Chicago does a very uptempo version that is fun. The most unusual treatment of this song is on a CD called A Jazzy Wonderland with the Traut/Rodby trio. It is strange to hear bass as the lead instrument but it works.

#73805 - Sun Nov 18 2001 12:06 AM Re: Favorite Christmas classics
SuperFurryAnimal Offline
Prolific

Loc: Glasgow UK
Since I was a tiny tiddler it's always been "I Believe In Father Christmas" by Greg Lake. No matter how old and cynical I get, come December this one takes me back to my childhood. Then there's "Happy Christmas (War Is Over)" and that Slade song.....I'm a sucker for happy Christmas tunes!

Perhaps the best of all is "There Ain't No Sanity Clause" by The Damned, but quite how festive that is depends on when you sing it!

#73806 - Sun Nov 18 2001 02:26 PM Re: Favorite Christmas classics
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
Here's a song we had on some old record...
"I wanna hippopotamus for Christmas, only a hippopotamus will do. No crocodiles or rhinocerussesses, we only like hippopotamussesses. I can see me now on Christmas morning creeping down the stairs, oh what joy and what surprise, when I open up my eyes and see my hippo hero standing there..."
Then there was Snoopy and the Red Baron's christmas on the same record. Back then we played our records over and over!

#73807 - Sun Nov 18 2001 08:03 PM Re: Favorite Christmas classics
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Melbourne
VIC Australia
I'm going to have to agree with Malizma & SFA on this one. My favourite Christmas Carol is "O Holy Night", and my favourite Christmas song is "Happy Xmas (War is Over)". I just don't want it to be Christams yet, is all. Another year down the drain...

#73808 - Sun Nov 18 2001 08:40 PM Re: Favorite Christmas classics
wez Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Norwich
England UK        
'Sanity Clause'

It's 'flippin' funny!

Seriously tho'

Christmas eh?.......egg flips by the fire, Auntie Edie..'trousered', Uncle Eddie....'karaokeing' to his nieces and nephew's, Cousin George, with his 'amusing flamable party tricks'?

I can't wait!

wez x

Seriously, seriously tho'

'O Come All Ye Faithful'.......I don't know why? Just make's me feel all 'Christmasy' tho'!

[ 11-18-2001: Message edited by: wezpenny ]

#73809 - Tue Nov 20 2001 06:12 AM Re: Favorite Christmas classics
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

O Holy Night is beautiful indeed, except that the singer must have a more mature competent voice or the whole audience will cringe at that high note.

I'm an alto and can sing tenor if they need someone who can read bass clef to help out, but that one is beyond my range.

#73810 - Tue Nov 20 2001 02:42 PM Re: Favorite Christmas classics
SuperFurryAnimal Offline
Prolific

Whatever the song, these four Jesii are digging the groove! Amen!

#73811 - Tue Nov 20 2001 02:46 PM Re: Favorite Christmas classics
SuperFurryAnimal Offline
Prolific

The author of the above posting would like to point out that he is in no way suggesting that there was any more than one Jesus, or that it is in any way likely that, if there were, they would dance to Slade or Wham! or such like. More likely Bing Crosby or Cliff Richard.....

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: SuperFurryAnimal ]

#73812 - Thu Nov 22 2001 01:41 PM Re: Favorite Christmas classics
Lanni Offline
Prolific

Loc: Brooklyn New York USA  
Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas" has become a classic. I love that song.

#73813 - Thu Nov 29 2001 11:37 AM Re: Favorite Christmas classics
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Munchkinland
Bringing this back up to the top because

1) I wanted to add "Oh Holy Night" as one of my (many) favorites

2) It's a timely thread, and it needs to be up close to the top

3) THERE ARE TOO MANY SONG CHAINS TAKING OVER THIS FORUM!!! It's time we get some other threads up there to post to!

#73814 - Thu Nov 29 2001 01:02 PM Re: Favorite Christmas classics
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
I've posted in another thread about one of my favourites.. "Six white boomers" about how Santa changes from reindeer to kangaroos when he gets to Australia. I love it. I also like Good King Wenceslas.

Most of all I love going to Carols by Candlelight and listening to really wonderful singers doing every carol and song you can imagine.
Weeeee, only 25 more sleeps to go (not counting afternoon naps )

#73815 - Fri Nov 30 2001 03:30 PM Re: Favorite Christmas classics
tjoebigham Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Fairhaven Massachusetts USA   
Among my favorite carols are "What Child Is This" based on the old English song "Greensleeves", a lovely melody no matter what the words, "Silent Night" and "O Christmas Tree". Some trivia about the last one: Sing it without repeating the second and fourth notes and you'll find it's "How Dry I Am"! And the melody is used for Maryland's state song "Maryland, My Maryland". tjoeb *<};>

#73816 - Fri Nov 30 2001 03:33 PM Re: Favorite Christmas classics
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

What Child is This? is famous for its purity. It's such a beautiful melody.

Il est né le divin enfant...wish I could play it for you!

#73817 - Sat Dec 01 2001 03:55 AM Re: Favorite Christmas classics
CellarDoor Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Seattle
Washington USA
Nothing beats "Carol of the Bells."

Hark, how the bells, sweet silver bells, all seem to say throw cares away: Christmas is here bringing good cheer to young and old, meek and the bold

Or in my case (I'm an alto):

(Pause)..................Ding, dong, ding, dong.

But it's fun to sing anyway.

As far as religious Christmas carols go, I love the Cherry Tree Carol - it really brings the Holy Family to life, for me. And "I Wonder as I Wander" just so perfectly expresses something deep inside.

#73818 - Sat Dec 01 2001 06:46 AM Re: Favorite Christmas classics
nenya Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: england
How to choose? I love all Christmas music, even the rubbish! There's something about it which just makes you feel warm and happy inside - perhaps I never quite grew up. But as it's about favourites here's my list:

to sing - Gaudete and Silent Night (both send shivers down my spine)

O Little Town of Bethlehem because it was my grandma's favourite

Away in a Manger - every time I hear it I can still picture my daughters dressed up as the Virgin Mary and the Angel Gabriel in their infant school nativity play (they were so sweet - whatever happened to them!!!)

for fun I love Madonna's version of Santa Baby

and for wrapping presents you just need to have The Phil Spector Christmas Album

finally, my personal favourite, which i play to death every year - the Eurythmics version of Walking in a Winter Wonderland. It's so romantic and sexy.

I'm sure I could think of a million more but I wouldn't want to bore you

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: nenya ]

#73819 - Sat Dec 08 2001 01:13 AM Re: Favorite Christmas classics
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Bringing this one back up to the top as the holiday gets closer!

#73820 - Sun Dec 09 2001 12:08 AM Re: Favorite Christmas classics
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

LOL! I just read CellarDoor's post (I don't know how I missed it before). CD, I know what you mean! I sometimes have to sing alto, too - I'm kinda between an alto and a soprano. That section always gets the harmony, and sometimes it's kind of funny when you look at just what you're singing.

I played the violin when I was younger. I was in the second violin section. Everytime "Sweet Caroline" comes on the radio, I do an impression of the part that I always had to play. I was the "bomp bomp" part after the first violins did their little melody thing. They were off and playing, and I was "bomp bomping." I always felt like a dummy!

Then, one day not too long ago, after I really started listening to the music, I realized that that song wasn't the same without that "bomp bomp" part. It wasn't "Sweet Caroline." My part really was important! I wish I had realized that back then. I would have held my head up higher and "bomp bomped" with pride!

#73821 - Sun Dec 09 2001 03:48 PM Re: Favorite Christmas classics
malizma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Nashville
Tennessee USA   ...
I play flute and love to play harmony parts in a group. I do not like to play the top parts. I am what they call a supporting player just because I lov ehow a harmony part blends. When I sing I am a first alto now. I used to be a soprano but three years of constant singing in camp situations lowered my voice considerably. I recently received some great new Christmas CD's if anyyone is interested check out:

Michael McDonald's Christmas CD
Dave Brubeck's Christmas
Tony Bennett
Dan Fogelberg's "The First Christmas Morning"
Kenny Loggin's "December"

#73822 - Sun Dec 09 2001 04:10 PM Re: Favorite Christmas classics
LilSpikey Offline
Mainstay

Loc: North Carolina USA
My favourite classic Christmas songs are:
Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer by Gene Autry,
Have a Holly Jolly Christmas by Burl Ives,
and Jingle Bell Rock by Bobby Bowen.

#73823 - Sat Dec 22 2001 04:39 PM Re: Favorite Christmas classics
LilSpikey Offline
Mainstay

Does anyone know who sang the song "We're simply having a wonderful Christmas time"?

#73824 - Sat Dec 22 2001 05:12 PM Re: Favorite Christmas classics
moonrockie Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Florida USA
Paul McCartney!!

#73825 - Sat Dec 22 2001 05:15 PM Re: Favorite Christmas classics
Drewskidogg Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Francisco California USA 
I like both versions of "This Christmas", one of them being done by Donny Hathaway, and the other by the Whispers. I also like "My Gift To You" by Alexander O'Neal

#73826 - Sat Dec 22 2001 05:21 PM Re: Favorite Christmas classics
SuperFurryAnimal Offline
Prolific

Then there's "Last Christmas" by Wham, which was written about their decision to convert from Christianity to Judaism on December 26th, 1984.

#73827 - Sun Dec 23 2001 03:41 PM Re: Favorite Christmas classics
LilSpikey Offline
Mainstay

Thank you moonrockie for your help! That is one of my favourite's too!

#73828 - Sun Dec 23 2001 09:20 PM Re: Favorite Christmas classics
LindaC007 Offline
Multiloquent

I love the classic carols, We Three Kings, Silent Night, The First Noel, What Child Is This, Away In A Manger. I also love Christmas Songs like Winter Wonderland because we always have cold, frosty Christmases here in the mountains.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  SilverMoonsong, Sypher