Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#73853 - Sat Nov 24 2001 02:47 PM Rap is good music
Footballking06 Offline
Participant

Loc: Hoffman Estates,Il 60194
I think rap is very good. i listen to rap 24/7. I like rappers like Ludacris,Eminem,Dr. Dre,Bubba Sparxxx,and others. If u like rap, why dont you disscuss it with me.

#73854 - Sun Nov 25 2001 11:47 AM Re: Rap is good music
Machine Offline
Participant

Loc: Minnesota, USA
this is just my opinion but.....

RAP SUCKS A**
the only talent it requires is the ability to sample someone elses music.

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: Machine ]

#73855 - Sun Nov 25 2001 02:32 PM Re: Rap is good music
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
Hmmm, seems as though we have a difference of opinion here. We do have quite a few quizzes here on rap so you're welcome to try them.
And gentlemen we try to keep our discussions between adults no matter what. We are a family site.
And those who don't like rap are certainly not forced to listen to it either...

I'm going to surprise you here, but there are some rap groups who do some innovative things.
So what did you have in mind?
And what do you like about them?

#73856 - Sun Nov 25 2001 02:46 PM Re: Rap is good music
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ottawa
Ontario Canada
I like some rap... well, pretty much just Will Smith and nothing else.

Besides Smith (and probably some other rap artists that I'm unfamiliar with), rappers just chant to a beat. There's nothing musical about it at all. Not to mention that most of their work seems to be aimed at putting people down and convincing their audiences that they're opressed and will never succeed. In other words, their music is depressing and unrealistic!

I hate (and I don't use this term lightly) Marshall Mathers, as both a person and as a rapper, and his so-called music. If I were making a list of people who are doing nothing in their lives save making negative contributions to society, Mathers would come second, just after Osama bin Laden.

I can't listen to Mathers without thinking that only a horrible and totally sick person would think things like that, let alone sing them and try to profit from them.

#73857 - Sun Nov 25 2001 07:41 PM Re: Rap is good music
Footballking06 Offline
Participant

Loc: Hoffman Estates,Il 60194
i meant clean rap. like will smith. and old school. like Run DMC. they are very cool.

#73858 - Mon Nov 26 2001 04:49 AM Re: Rap is good music
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
I'm relieved then! Some people would say that Will Smith wasn't even a rapper!
I like rappers who use things around them in a new way. Innovation.
I don't like hate in any form.

The reason that many people don't like rap is that it doesn't sound like music to them, because it hasn't got a melody, but for pure rhythm lovers who like drums, the voice is just like a percussion instrument.

Most of rap is simply a ballad, and that sort of thing is nothing new!

#73859 - Mon Nov 26 2001 11:51 AM Re: Rap is good music
Lanni Offline
Prolific

Loc: Brooklyn New York USA  
Rap is an art form. Although in my opinion, it has been going down hill for the past few years, it is still great. Public Enemy, DMX, Tupac, Run DMC, Naughty By Nature, Bone Thugs-in-Harmony, and Eminem all use this art form, yet each is way different from the other. That is what makes it beautiful. I love it.
What makes it interesting is the transition it has made. Regardless of what some may say, rap is pretty old but it first became popular in the late '70's in places like Queens, New York. It didn't sound much like it does today. Unlike the popular rap that MTV likes to show, it started as freestyle poems with a beat about life- like Slamming. I think rap is important to American history because it educates. For years people didn't know about life outside the suburbs unless they lived it. People in Brooklyn didn't know how different their hood was from Compton, or Detriot, or Orlando, or Atlanta, etc.
By coming to the mainstream, rap opened eyes. Rap music didn't start social upheaval as the media likes to proclaim- they let it be known that whether you see it or not, it exists.
Lately this art form has hit rock bottom with people like Petey Pablo and that guy who names all of his songs thug this and thug that (I think his name is Trick Daddy) who are making all the popular lists. People who are probably dirt poor are renting jewerly and cars to make a video and talk about the "bling, bling" life that they have never seen. If they lived that lifestyle I wouldn't care, but it is all fake. In the old school rap videos, the location was usually the places where the rappers grew up- Hollas, Bed-Sty, etc.
Another thing I don't like is that rappers are no longer making their own rhymes or beats, but that could be said about all the other genres.
I respect real rap because of the truthfulness it is, it is something I can relate to with a sound I can bop my head to. If a person likes the sound of rap music or not, they should still appreciate that it is an art. You may not like Rembrandt, but his works are pieces of art nevertheless.

#73860 - Wed Dec 05 2001 06:45 PM Re: Rap is good music
LilSpikey Offline
Mainstay

Loc: North Carolina USA
I like some rap music. I listen to Lil' Kim and Lil Bow Wow, and some Missy Elliott. I guess it just depends.

Moderator:  SilverMoonsong, Sypher