Rules
Terms of Use

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#75037 - Tue Nov 05 2002 01:28 PM Re: For Those Who Love Hard Rock
wildheart Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: silverginger in Quizzyland
Anybody heard the new Disturbed CD 'Believe'? If not, get it now, it totally rocks!

#75038 - Tue Nov 05 2002 03:17 PM Re: For Those Who Love Hard Rock
LilSpikey Offline
Mainstay

Loc: North Carolina USA
I love hard rock and heavy metal.

#75039 - Sun Nov 10 2002 01:55 PM Re: For Those Who Love Hard Rock
aballinshadow Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Canada
I wish I had money to buy the new Disturbed CD but next CD I'll buy will be the new System of a Down (around November 20th) So I didn't hear the new Disturbed yet.
Edited by aballinshadow (Fri Mar 25 2005 04:52 PM)

#75040 - Mon Nov 11 2002 06:08 AM Re: For Those Who Love Hard Rock
wildheart Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: silverginger in Quizzyland
I didn't know SOAD had a new one coming out! Will definitely have to get that one.I've just looked on Amazon but no tracklist up on there, and the SOAD official site has no mention that I can see.

#75041 - Mon Nov 11 2002 11:48 AM Re: For Those Who Love Hard Rock
aballinshadow Offline
Multiloquent

The new SOAD album are for B-sides songs, rarities, and songs that they thought weren't good enough for the previous album.

#75042 - Thu Dec 19 2002 05:10 PM Re: For Those Who Love Hard Rock
LilSpikey Offline
Mainstay

Loc: North Carolina USA
It would take me a long time to list all of my favourite hard rock and heavy metal singers, but some of my favourites are: Aerosmith, Queens of the Stone Age, Bon Jovi, Kiss, KoRn, Papa Roach, Ozzy Osbourne, Def Leopard, The Scorpions, Foo Fighters, Audioslave, Puddle of Mudd, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Metallica, AC/DC, Black Sabbath...I could go on forever!

Edited by LilSpikey (Fri Dec 20 2002 09:28 PM)

#75043 - Thu Dec 19 2002 08:15 PM Re: For Those Who Love Hard Rock
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Melbourne
VIC Australia
I just got the Audioslave cd recently. That is a fantastic album!

#75044 - Fri Dec 20 2002 09:05 AM Re: For Those Who Love Hard Rock
silverginger Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: St. Meinrad Indiana USA      
This is a strange one for me. I liked Soundgarden, and liked Rage Against The Machine, but I'm not sure about the two together. It's sort of like having Corey from Slipknot singing for Bon Jovi. Now that would be interesting to hear...

#75045 - Fri Dec 20 2002 09:21 AM Re: For Those Who Love Hard Rock
IndieQueen Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania USA
I was never a big Soundgarden fan. I do like Rage a lot though. I've heard an Audioslave song here and there, they aren't bad. What I miss though is the social conscience present in Rage's music. I was hoping that Zak's departure wouldn't mean the end of the socially conscience Rage song.

I'm going to say something now that will get me flamed, I hate Nu Metal. Linkin Park, Pappa Roach etc.... It's an awful mess. Give me Iron Maiden, Helloween, King Diamond, Type O Negative or Slayer any day. Rap/Metal is just bloody awful. Of course, I'm just odd that way. I like my punk real and my metal loud.

#75046 - Fri Dec 20 2002 09:24 AM Re: For Those Who Love Hard Rock
silverginger Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: St. Meinrad Indiana USA      
In reply to:

I hate Nu Metal. Linkin Park, Pappa Roach etc....

Well said that woman! My sentiments exactly.

#75047 - Fri Dec 20 2002 04:16 PM Re: For Those Who Love Hard Rock
Rokkr Offline
Participant

Most anyone who likes this music has heard most of the bands mentioned in this thread.
However if you want a couple lost "gems" of this genre let me suggest these:

Killing Joke Their first and best album from 1979, Metallica knows these guys and covered one of their songs (The Wait) on their Garage Band EP

Therapy? Their album Troublegum is a lost masterpiece of blazingly hot music and some awesomely angry lyrics.

Bad Brains The sreaming guitars that open I Against I set the tone for perhaps the most intelligent and diverse hard rock albums ever.

Don't you dare call yourself a hard rock fan if you don't seek out and give these albums a listen.

#75048 - Fri Dec 20 2002 05:41 PM Re: For Those Who Love Hard Rock
IndieQueen Offline
Forum Champion

Pennsylvania USA
Bad Brains took their name from a Ramones song, so they're cool in my book. I remember hearing Killing Joke years ago, I'll have to check them out again.

#75049 - Fri Dec 20 2002 06:32 PM Re: For Those Who Love Hard Rock
aballinshadow Offline
Multiloquent

In reply to:

I just got the Audioslave cd recently. That is a fantastic album!

Well, I kinda liked Rage Against The Machine but I found the first single "Cochise" not as good as I first expected it to be... Not that bad though. (For those who don't know, Rage Against The Machine don't exist anymore and a few members of the band, with other members of other bands created Audioslave)

#75050 - Sun Dec 22 2002 06:45 PM Re: For Those Who Love Hard Rock
tanzen Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Melbourne
VIC Australia
I think Audioslave would appeal more to Soundgarden fans than they would to RATM fans. I loved them both, but Audioslave seems to be more of a Soundgarden. Not just becuase they have Cornell singing, but the kind of style. Like IndieQueen said, it's not really the same content as the old RATM stuff - but hopefully that will come in time. They were both great bands, and it will be interesting to see how it developes...

#75051 - Thu Dec 26 2002 09:31 PM Re: For Those Who Love Hard Rock
floormatt Offline
Explorer

Loc: Noplace
I still say Tom Morello owns all other guitarists, especially after hearing the Audioslave album.

Some other good bands include Deftones, Tool, SOAD, and Disturbed (just picked up their new cd, pretty sic)

#75052 - Sat Dec 28 2002 09:54 PM Re: For Those Who Love Hard Rock
Ford_Prefect Offline
Explorer

Loc: Burnsville, MN
Black Sabbath: War Pigs. Totally awsome song, but I ove all their works. Kokain, by Ramstein, but I love all of their songs too.

#75053 - Sat Jan 11 2003 11:43 PM Re: For Those Who Love Hard Rock
floormatt Offline
Explorer

Loc: Noplace
My favorite song by Tool is probably 46&2, but Sober is good too I agree.

I got the new Audioslave CD, and i think Rage Against The Machine was better than both them and Soundgarden. good CD though.

#75054 - Thu Feb 19 2004 07:28 PM Re: For Those Who Love Hard Rock
aballinshadow Offline
Multiloquent

Quote:

I got the new Audioslave CD, and i think Rage Against The Machine was better than both them and Soundgarden. good CD though.

I have the Renegades album by Rage Against The Machine, and the first album by Audioslave. I can admit too that I prefer Rage over Audioslave.

#75055 - Fri Feb 20 2004 12:10 PM Re: For Those Who Love Hard Rock
IndieQueen Offline
Forum Champion

Pennsylvania USA
A friend of mine made me a copy of Audioslave's first CD, and I really like it. I still like Rage better, but Audioslave has merits of their own.

#75056 - Fri Feb 20 2004 04:46 PM Re: For Those Who Love Hard Rock
rogue Offline
Mainstay

Here's the All Music Guide's definition of hard rock-

Hard rock is a term that's frequently applied to any sort of loud, aggressive guitar rock, but for these purposes, the definition is more specific. To be sure, hard rock is loud, aggressive guitar rock, but it isn't as heavy as heavy metal, and it's only very rarely influenced by punk (though it helped inspire punk). Hard rock generally prizes big, stadium-ready guitar riffs, anthemic choruses, and stomping, swaggering backbeats; its goals are usually (though not universally) commercial, and it's nearly always saturated with machismo. With some bands, it can be difficult to tell where the dividing line between hard rock and heavy metal falls, but the basic distinction is that ever since Black Sabbath, metal tends to be darker and more menacing, while hard rock (for the most part) has remained exuberant, chest-thumping party music. Additionally, while metal riffs often function as stand-alone melodies, hard rock riffs tend to outline chord progressions in their hooks, making for looser, more elastic jams should the band decide to stretch out instrumentally. Like heavy metal, hard rock sprang from the mid-'60s intersection of blues-rock and psychedelia pioneered by artists like Cream, Jimi Hendrix, and the Jeff Beck Group. Blues-rock and psychedelia were both exploring the limits of electric amplification, and blues-rock was pushing the repeated guitar riff center stage, while taking some of the swing out of the blues beat and replacing it with a thumping power. Hard rock really came into its own at the dawn of the '70s, with the tough, boozy rock of the Rolling Stones (post-Brian Jones) and Faces, the blues-drenched power and textured arrangements of Led Zeppelin, the post-psychedelic rave-ups of Deep Purple, and the loud, ringing power chords of the Who (circa Who's Next) setting the template for much of what followed. Later in the decade, the lean, stripped-down riffs of AC/DC and Aerosmith, the catchy tunes and stage theatrics of Alice Cooper and Kiss, and the instrumental flash of Van Halen set new trends, though the essential musical blueprint for hard rock remained similar. Arena rock also became a dominant force, stripping out nearly all blues influence and concentrating solely on big, bombastic hooks. During the '80s, hard rock was dominated by glossy pop-metal, although Guns N' Roses, the Black Crowes, and several others did present a grittier, more traditionalist alternative. Old-fashioned hard rock became a scarce commodity in the post-alternative rock era; after grunge, many guitar bands not only adopted a self-consciously serious attitude, but also resisted the urge to write fist-pumping, arena-ready choruses. Still, the '90s did produce a few exceptions, such as Oasis, Urge Overkill, and the serious but anthemic Pearl Jam.

To me, Deep Purple & Van Halen defined hard rock. Though I pretty much agree with the AMG, I couldn't define Oasis as hard rock, more like power pop. Though I believe there's more true hard rock music being passed off as power pop. And from what I've seen & heard being defined as "power pop"- everything from the Beach Boys to Green Day to the crunchy guitar sounds of South American psychedelic music- well, therein lies your hard rock. Personally I define power pop today with the examples of Cheap Trick, Aimee Mann, and The Fountains of Wayne (not to get started on dear "Stacy's Mom" again).

I would list Queens of the Stone Age as one of the few modern hard rock bands (recieving airplay) though I've seen the words "metal" and "alternative" listed more often surrounding that band. Real hard rock, like ska, lives out on in the fringes of popular music, surviving on small independent labels, just waiting to be accepted in mass numbers again.

#75057 - Sat Feb 21 2004 03:10 PM Re: For Those Who Love Hard Rock
aballinshadow Offline
Multiloquent

Quote:

I would list Queens of the Stone Age as one of the few modern hard rock bands (recieving airplay) though I've seen the words "metal" and "alternative" listed more often surrounding that band. Real hard rock, like ska, lives out on in the fringes of popular music, surviving on small independent labels, just waiting to be accepted in mass numbers again.

As for Queens Of The Stone Age, it definitely is NOT metal music; hard rock is the right musical genre for their music. This year, the arising group has been Evanescence. When I hear the songs Bring me to life and Going under, I can only say it is hard rock. Other songs like the radio edit of My immortal sure ain't hard rock though!

Edited by aballinshadow (Sat Feb 21 2004 03:11 PM)

#75058 - Sat Feb 21 2004 03:30 PM Re: For Those Who Love Hard Rock
live4trivia Offline
Prolific

There was an artical in the New York Times aobut Amy Lee from Evanescense. She says that their music is punk/goth/rock music. If you really listen to the music, you can see that she is right. If you ahve also listened to their previous CD, you can see that "Fallen" is just a progression to their punk/goth/rock stage in their music. I saw them in concert. I think they fit under the rock category, They are not metal though.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  SilverMoonsong, Sypher