Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#804305 - Sun Jun 24 2012 07:42 PM Universal Remote Control Help Needed Please.
PurpleFan Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: New Westminster BC Canada
I hope this is where I should be to ask for help with a TV problem.
I gave my Hubby my 27 inch Digistar tv as he bought n\me a 32 inch flat screen tv for Christmas . Of course I can't find the original remote for it but we do have a Universal remote that he can use if we can figure out the correct code to enter so that he can use it.
I am confident that someone at FT will know how to help me.
You have helped me before when I have had problems.
Is there anything you need to know to help?
Thank You.
PF

#804335 - Mon Jun 25 2012 02:15 AM Re: Universal Remote Control Help Needed Please.
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
I've succeded in programming a new Universal remote without knowing the set's original keycode. The remote I had, used confusing language to explain how to set the thing to search for the right code. You'd hold certain buttons until the remote light flashed several times, point it at a manually turned on TV and let it step through the stored codes until the TV turned off. Then you hit another button on the remote to stop the search. some lights on it flash again and you then hit the remote power on button to turn the TV back on. If that's the sequence of your remote, you're finished there if you remember how that is done. If not, on my remote there was a combination of buttons to push and that light would flash a series of pulsed flashes, like: blink-blink-blink___blink___blink-blink-blink-blink, which meant the code is 3-1-4. Write that down on a small piece of tape or paper and put it in the battery compartment of the remote for later referral.

Bottom line, follow the directions for the new remote for search mode. Read them. Practice doing them in your head with the remote, try using it with the TV, and don't worry, there's no combination of button pushing that will do harm to the TV's infrared sensing circuitry. If you encounter failure, try again from scratch. Turn the TV off then on again and restart the remote routine.

Some remotes have a website that you can find the codes for your particular TV model.

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#804343 - Mon Jun 25 2012 02:28 AM Re: Universal Remote Control Help Needed Please.
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
The set-up of universal remote controls can vary a bit. Do you have the instruction book containing the list of codes? The book would usually include a section on how to find the right code even if it isn't included in the list.

If you don't have the instruction book, it might be possible to find it on the Internet in PDF form. If you state the make and model of the remote control, I can look for it if you like and then try to say how to set the remote control up.

Another option is to see if a new original remote control for the TV is available either from the manufacturer or anywhere else on the Internet. An original remote control would be better if one can be obtained. It would be easier to use all the functions available.

#804349 - Mon Jun 25 2012 03:20 AM Re: Universal Remote Control Help Needed Please.
PurpleFan Offline
Multiloquent

Thank you so much Mehaul and TellyWellies
I will copy and paste your information in a letter to my hubby.
TW I will go look at the remote and will do it right now.
BRB:OK this is the name of the remote and these are the Numbers on the back of it.
ONE
FOR ALL
On the back is:
URC-5650B00
I sure appreciate the help.
Thanks again both of you.
Purple Fan (Bonnie)

#804356 - Mon Jun 25 2012 04:15 AM Re: Universal Remote Control Help Needed Please.
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

I have a One for All in front of me. On the back says for help to goto www.oneforall.com.
My model is URC-4330B03
I kept the bubblepack it came in (Hoarder that I am!) I couldn't find the manual that came with it (I know I have it somewhere). But on the front of the package is a toll-free number to call 1-800-394-3000. That's maybe little help in Canada, but maybe it is and they can tell you the code for your model Digistar TV.

Edit: Upon further review, the bubble pack I have is for a model URC-2085 which means I've got another floating around here somewhere. But the link above does go to One For All.

Edited by mehaul (Mon Jun 25 2012 04:22 AM)

#804360 - Mon Jun 25 2012 05:01 AM Re: Universal Remote Control Help Needed Please.
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
On searching for URC-5650B00, this page came up:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/manuals/

On there is model number URC-5650. Although not the exact number, click on the link. A PDF will open showing a picture of the remote control. Is that it? Lots of codes and the instructions are there.

#804390 - Mon Jun 25 2012 10:05 AM Re: Universal Remote Control Help Needed Please.
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

The manual for a URC-5650 doesn't list Digistar as a model they have programmed that model remote to work with. But that doesn't mean it won't work. If you go through the Search for Code function (found about halfway down the page in the OneFor All site/page below) one of them may work anyway. The number you have to enter to begin a blind search for a turn off of an operating TV is 991 while you hold other buttons down. Anyhow, there are only about 5 steps to be taken.
http://www.oneforall.com/uploads/support/d64b92b9090e8ad745ed648a1c65a1f7.pdf

here's a copy (without the graphics which you should look at) of the steps to try taking (REM: If your remote predates your TV, it may not be covered and you'll need a new remote)(Cinema 5 is the model name as opposed to model number)

SEARCHING FOR YOUR CODE
If your TV, VCR or Cable Converter does not respond to the Cinema 5 after
trying all of the codes listed for your brand, or if your brand is not listed at all, try
searching for your code. For example, after trying all of the codes for your TV,
you still cannot get the Cinema 5 to operate your TV, then:
1. Turn on your TV.
2. Press TV and release. Press and hold SETUP until the
Cinema 5's red light blinks twice, then release SETUP.
3. Press 9 - 9 - 1.
4. Slowly alternate between pressing POWER* and TV until
your TV turns OFF. Make sure that the Cinema 5 is aimed at
your TV during the search. You may have to press this
sequence of buttons (POWER* then TV) up to
100 times to search the entire library of codes.
5. When your TV turns OFF, press and release SETUP to
lock in the code for your TV. Your Cinema 5 is now
programmed to operate your TV.
*Some VCR, LD or DVD player do not have POWER key on the original remote.
If so turn on the VCR/DVD/LD player manually, insert a tape or CD and start
playing. Start the code search process and use STOP key instead of POWER.
When the device responds, press and release the SETUP key to lock in the
code. RED LED will blink twice.
NOTE: To search for the codes of your other components, repeat Steps 1
through 5, only substitute the appropriate device key (VCR, DVD/LD, RCVR or
CBL/SAT) for the component you are searching for.

Edited by mehaul (Mon Jun 25 2012 11:24 AM)

#804395 - Mon Jun 25 2012 11:21 AM Re: Universal Remote Control Help Needed Please.
PurpleFan Offline
Multiloquent

Hi Guys,

I am typing this for my hubby as he doesnt like posting or typing much.

Thank you Mehaul and Tellywellies.

I shall be printing out your posts and hopefully it will help me get at least one tv to work with that remote.

Bonnie was right you do go out of the way for people and I appreciate the effort you made for me.I will let you know how I do.

Off to print out your posts and get started

trying to get it to work.

Thank you.

Chuck (LPP'S Hubby)

#804397 - Mon Jun 25 2012 11:35 AM Re: Universal Remote Control Help Needed Please.
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

TW and I are links to the same manual at different sites. If you go to either and want to write down a code that ends up working, the instructions on how to do that are just below the set I copied above. Essentially you use 9-9-0 and then ask the remote to tell you each of the four digits it stored as the keycode.

Edit: Remember to use Canadian metric numbers (he he he)
and you're welcome to my help anytime.

Edited by mehaul (Mon Jun 25 2012 11:37 AM)

#807878 - Tue Jul 10 2012 07:53 AM Re: Universal Remote Control Help Needed Please.
PurpleFan Offline
Multiloquent

UPDATE:

Funny story to tell.

After thinking that the remote had been thrown out I happened to relook at the remote that had been sitting on my dresser but was turned upside down.

Well I thought ok I will give this to hubby and see if it works.
Low and Behold it worked. The reason I hadn't thought to look before is it didn't have the Digistar logo on it and I thought it was for one of the VCR's we had here.
I definitly had a SENIOR MOMENT. LOL LOL

Again I appreciate all the help you gave us.

PF

#809710 - Wed Jul 18 2012 10:16 PM Re: Universal Remote Control Help Needed Please.
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
no harm, no foul Mrs Purplemostess. We all have days like that lol. But, if ever you actually DO lose your remote, you now have adequate reference points at your disposal : ). Nice place this, that folks take the time to help as much as they can : )

Moderator:  flopsymopsy, ladymacb29