Rules
Terms of Use

Page 23 of 54 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 53 54 >
Topic Options
#1069717 - Sat Oct 18 2014 10:45 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
"A Long Way Down" 2014

I should probably not watch movies made from books I like....

Actually this wasn't too painful - the cast was good. Pierce Brosnan, again - he's actually a better actor than I ever gave him credit for, and does a good job of the rather stupid and shallow disgraced TV personality. Toni Collette as the mother of the severely disabled boy, Imogen Poots as the crazy girl, and Aaron Paul as the failed musician.

I just wish they didn't feel the need to tidy up books in order to turn them into movies - I know movies are capable of complexity, and ambiguity, and nuance, and loose ends, of reflecting life in all its messiness. But when they make a book into a movie, they seem to need to clean it up and tie it up with a big red bow. I suppose it's because they're a more expensive medium than books, and therefore must have more mass appeal. Too bad.

So, yeah - not the greatest, but good.

#1070077 - Wed Oct 22 2014 08:17 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ireland
"Cloud Atlas"

Something different!

Several stories being told at the same time, set in different ages (past, present future), with an ensemble cast playing several roles each: including Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Susan Sarandon, Hugo Weaving, and (my favourite) Jim Broadbent.

Took me several attempts to watch this. I felt I must be missing something, but I think that was how it was supposed to be as gradually things begin to dovetail, and somewhere around the middle of the film, it all got quite exciting! I want to say this is a masterpiece but I still feel a little confused by it, and I enjoyed it much more on my final attempt because I had watched the beginnings of the stories several times so was more clear about what was happening, so maybe it is a masterpiece of an idea. What is most enjoyable is that the stories have been left inside my head for me to think about.

It is nice to be offered something different, so I appreciate that, and I enjoyed working it all out! Fun to watch the actors in several roles too, and some of the nose make up was quite distracting.

I think I liked it.

Edited by Chavs (Thu Oct 23 2014 10:45 AM)

#1070094 - Wed Oct 22 2014 11:45 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
"Savage Messiah"
Dorothy Tutin, Scott Antony, Helen Mirren, Lindsay Kemp

I'm a fool for biopics about fine artists. This film is about the short but brilliant life of the drawer, painter and sculptor Henri Gaudier in the first decade and a half of the 20th Century. It relies heavily on his relation with the much older writer Sophia Brzeska. It details how some of the art movement had fled France at the turn of the century. Gaudier himself practiced Cubism. There is a gallery of his works shown at the film's conclusion. It is a shame that he didn't live past 23! The acting is top notch. Helen Mirren does some wonderful exposition about woman's suffrage for a third of her role. Another third depicts her as a life model for Gaudier. At times when in the controlled environment of a studio, tremendous use of colors, costumes, lighting and camera angles does convey some great sense of how Cubists envisioned the world. At times the dialog flows fast so you cannot allow distractions to your viewing of this little masterpiece.

Edited by mehaul (Wed Oct 22 2014 11:47 AM)

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#1070226 - Thu Oct 23 2014 10:38 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Will you be watching the "Mr Turner"? Just about to be released.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Turner_ (film)

Edited by Chavs (Thu Oct 23 2014 10:41 AM)

#1070531 - Sat Oct 25 2014 02:44 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
Chavs Offline
Prolific

"Margot at the Wedding"

Nicole Kidman, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Jack Black.

Margot goes back to her home town to attend her sister's wedding, and estranged relationships get examined while everyone tries to outdo each other in an "on the verge of a nervous breakdown" battle.

If you are pretty depressed and want to watch people being a bit more messed up than you feel right now, and hope that the plot goes nowhere and takes a long time to do it, then this is a good choice. Or if you want to watch one of those bizarre, foreign language, moody films, with slightly psychotic characters and a wandering introspective undercurrent, but arent in the mood for subtitles, this might suffice. Otherwise, approach with caution.

No idea what this film was trying to do, be, or say. smile
I think I enjoyed being a voyeur though. You know when people are having difficult moments or conversations or private intimate fights/discussion, and you can't watch because it would be rude? But you'd quite like to watch? This way, you can watch. But you don't feel good about it afterwards.

Edited by Chavs (Sat Oct 25 2014 02:59 AM)

#1070861 - Mon Oct 27 2014 09:07 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"The Greatest"

I think I'll just go with Chav's review - it was really good except where it wasn't.

It's the writer's first movie, and it shows, but there are some great performances and some great moments. The bit where Allen flips out because Ryan is swimming in a strong current rang very true to me - I remember doing almost exactly the same thing to my son about three weeks after his dad died. But some of the plot improbabilities are just ... I mean, a surveillance video? Really?

Anyway, it's worth your time if you don't expect perfection.

#1070862 - Mon Oct 27 2014 09:16 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

I also tried to watch "Death to Smoochy" but just couldn't. The comedy was on a line with the kind of thing I'd expect from a kids' movie - "Beethoven" or something. I don't want to see pratfalls in something that is billed as a dark comedy. It was like a movie aimed at eight year olds except with swearing. And penis cookies.

#1073669 - Fri Nov 14 2014 09:11 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"The World According to Garp"

If I hadn't read the book, I don't know if this would have made any sense to me at all. Robin Williams was very Garp, though - he was born to play that character. And John Lithgow was wonderful as Roberta.

"Fury". Pretty good war movie. Gotta say, though - this might be a mild spoiler - if you know you are in a fight to the death, wouldn't you make sure you had all your ammo inside with you? Not like you're going to need it tomorrow....

#1073783 - Sun Nov 16 2014 05:19 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
trident Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wisconsin USA
Originally Posted By: agony
"The World According to Garp"

If I hadn't read the book, I don't know if this would have made any sense to me at all. Robin Williams was very Garp, though - he was born to play that character. And John Lithgow was wonderful as Roberta.

I didn't realize there was a movie version of this.

Editor: World and General

#1073801 - Sun Nov 16 2014 09:31 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

It's not perfect but it's not bad.

#1073968 - Tue Nov 18 2014 03:25 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
Snowman Offline
Prolific

Loc: London England UK            
Horrible Bosses 2

Not very sophisticated, at times very vulgar but it made this tired old man laugh.

#1075313 - Thu Nov 27 2014 11:43 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Teacher's Pet" 1958 Clark Gable and Doris Day.

Surprisingly sophisticated for a 1950s Doris Day romcom, interesting look at the war between education and the school of hard knocks that gives a fair shake to both sides. Gig Young steals the show.

And I love Doris' hair.

#1077097 - Thu Dec 11 2014 11:11 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"The Name of the Rose" (1986)
Sean Connery, Christian Slater, F Murray Abraham, Ron Perlman, Michael Lonsdale

A nice little murder mystery. This has Bond (Connery) versus Drax (Lonsdale) again. Its worth a viewing just to see the hairdos both real and fashioned. Takes place in medieval Europe in a monastery.

#1077645 - Tue Dec 16 2014 01:14 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Godzilla (Gojira) (1954) - Raymond Burr

Called Gojira originally (a portmanteau of the Japanese words for gorilla and whale), The Godzilla name caught on for several reasons. The words used in Japanese are similar and the word gojira is pronounced godzira and I suspect the Americanized name tipped the balance.
It is a remarkable effort to have made a movie in Japan centered around the American reporter played by Burr. Being so familiar with his Perry Mason character, I expected him to turn to the camera at the end and say "It wasn't Godzilla that destroyed Tokyo, nor Beauty that killed the Beast. It was that shy brunette in the court gallery second row, now covering her face with a kerchief, that destroyed Japan's capital city. For it was she who was gypped out of a paintbrush in her Japanese watercolor paint set as a child and she who has waited all these years to extract her revenge."
Seriously, a grand master film that began a whole genre and therefor worth the watch.

#1078743 - Fri Dec 26 2014 02:29 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Francis of Assisi
Bradford Dillman, Dolores Hart, Stuart Whitman

From 1961 but with a resonance that echoes especially these days. Dolores Hart, shortly after playing the role of Sister Clair, left Hollywood and joined a convent. Bill O'Reilly recently interviewed her on TV.
The pope is worried about the wealth accumulated by the church and the ministry's interest in things material, welcomes the poverty vows and Gospel based rejection of material goods by Francis
Francis the Saint and Francis the Pope.
The crusades pitching battle between Christianity and Islam.
Its all there almost a millennium apart from the happening and half a century apart from the filming. Yes, very relevant to today's world and its difficulties.
My list of cast is lacking many of the famous 50s character actors who took roles in this film out of love for the subject.

#1078924 - Sat Dec 27 2014 11:45 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil.
A nice take on the basic "evil cabin in the woods" horror flick. Some really endearing characters.

#1079256 - Tue Dec 30 2014 09:09 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Into the Woods"

Realy enjoyed this, but I think that was because both my daughter, who I saw it with, and I fell into the film's sweet spot. We like musicals, we like Sondheim, and we've seen a film of th stage production, but long enough ago that the details are hazy. So we knew what we were getting into, but not seriously invested in it.

Gauging from the audience around us, and reading reviews on imdb later, looks like people fall into three camps on this:

Those who love the musical passionately. They tend to hate it. Songs are left out, characters are left out, the whole focus is lighter, less adult, less complex. It has Johnny Depp. It's Disney.

Those like me. I expected what I got, and liked it. Great sets, good performances - even Johnny Depp, for his five minutes on screen - and a reasonable number of changes in order to turn a stage play into a film for general audiences.

Those who had never even heard of Sondheim and didn't really understand that this was a musical, or what it was about. One review summed it up by saying that the songs were boring and it would have been good if it stopped at happily ever after instead of going into all that about the giant.

So if you like this sort of thing but don't love it with all your heart, go see it.

#1079897 - Sat Jan 03 2015 08:36 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"The Courtship of Eddie's Father" 1963

Glenn Ford, Shirley Jones, and little Ronnie Howard as Eddie. Even though the attitudes toward women and childrearing are almost incomprehensible fifty years on, this is still a charming movie. Worth it just to watch Ron Howard's performance - he really was a natural.

"Songcatcher" 2000

A musicologist in turn of the last century Appalachia, determined to record the mountain ballads. A real gem of a small movie, especially for anyone with an interest in folk music - a lot of the minor characters are musicians, and the music is great. Biggest name here is Aidan Quinn - he plays a very appealing mountain man.

#1080015 - Sun Jan 04 2015 09:01 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit" 1956

Been many years since I've seen this, but it still packs a punch. An adult look at war, marriage, work.

#1080062 - Mon Jan 05 2015 04:52 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
MikeMaster99 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Melbourne VIC Australia      
"The Imitation Game"

just got home after watching this new release at the cinema. Without giving any spoilers, I thought it was a brilliant way to spend 2 hours. Benedict Cumberbatch will be hard to beat for the Best Actor Oscar this year for his fantastic portrayal of the tortured genius, Alan Turing. DEFINITELY worth seeing, unless you're after a light-hearted affair - there are some comedic moments but it's definitely serious drama based on the true story of cracking the Enigma code. Two thumbs up from both my wife and I!

#1080820 - Mon Jan 12 2015 09:55 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Holiday" 1938

Ah, Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn. He's a man in love with a rich girl, she's the rich girl's sister.

This is really lovely - Cary Grant is as charming as he can be, which is considerable, and Hepburn can't allow herself to admit she's in love with him, because she cares for her sister. Ned, the drunken brother played by Lew Ayres, steals the show, breaks our hearts at the end. This movie has everything I'm a sucker for.

#1080964 - Wed Jan 14 2015 07:23 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Guardians of the Galaxy
I've been sick with a cold and my husband wanted a movie. I said I didn't care what we watched, so he put in Life of Pi. When I started to fall asleep, I told him I meant some movie that would keep my attention, so he put this one on. It was pretty good. Had the right mix of comedy and action. Plus I'm a sucker for any movie with Glenn Close.

Editor for Television Category

#1081326 - Sun Jan 18 2015 09:50 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Imitation of Life" 1934

Now this is an odd one. Looked at from a modern perspective, it's appalling - the racial stereotypes and unconscious racism in almost every scene.... But from the viewpoint of the time, it was remarkably brave and enlightened - an honest look at race relations.

I'd be very interested to see a modern remake that dealt with the same issues - a black mother whose light-skinned daughter repudiates her in order to "pass", and a young girl's love for her mother's lover. Touchy subjects, even now.

#1081350 - Mon Jan 19 2015 06:41 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
Chavs Offline
Prolific

"American Hustle"

There is a hustle about to go down. But who is hustling who? And weren't hairpieces in the 70s pretty awful?

A zinger of a film. A little bit of everything but not too much of anything - a Goldilocks film....just right.

Actors, director, camera work, set design, costumes...script...etc...plot...all just simmering away nicely. I can't recall if anything ever came to the boil. I just enjoyed the ride.

#1082164 - Sun Jan 25 2015 08:46 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
"Turbulance"

Ok, so I only recorded this because Lauren Holy is in it. And my TiVo says it has 1 1/2 stars. The quick synopsis is two prisoners are being transported on a commercial flight at Christmas. One of the prisoners kills a guard and then all heck breaks loose. Lauren Holly is the flight attendant who has to save the day. I can see why it doesn't get much play time - there's a small-scale September 11th-type scene (the film was made in 1997). Catherine Hicks (of "Star Trek iv" and "7th Heaven" fame) is also in it.

It's not 1 1/2 stars bad... maybe like a 2 or 3. I kept watching this going "And then she becomes director of NCIS..." Oh, and there was a Mark Harmon reference - which I found amusing considering her character and his on "NCIS" were lovers.

Also, "Love By the Book" - a Hallmark movie that has Stefanie Powers in it (to continue the red head theme...) Not bad, one of those cheesy Hallmark movies.

Edited by ladymacb29 (Sun Jan 25 2015 09:23 PM)

Editor for Television Category

Page 23 of 54 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 53 54 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong