Rules
Terms of Use

Page 24 of 54 < 1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 53 54 >
Topic Options
#1082228 - Mon Jan 26 2015 11:37 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
"Morons from Outer Space" - Mel Smith and Griff Rhys Jones

Okay, I only recently heard of this comedy duo writers/performers, from a couple of questions here at Fun Trivia in fact. I think I'd heard of Rhys-Jones in some recent American films but not of great note.
This is a very funny movie that got low ratings after much of its humor was thrown to the cutting room floor by distributors and censors. Oh, to see an uncut version. My introduction to it came in the middle of a 50 sci-fi movie box set. If you liked the more recent "Idiocracy", you will enjoy this effort.
In intergalactic pick-up attempts, it is very critical to discern if the object of your intentions is the male or female of the species, Ha Ha Ha.

Edited by mehaul (Mon Jan 26 2015 11:41 AM)

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#1082354 - Tue Jan 27 2015 11:02 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
LoveAnimals555 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in Heaven, India
"PK" an aamir khan's movie. :-)

Edited by LoveAnimals555 (Tue Jan 27 2015 11:05 AM)

#1082773 - Fri Jan 30 2015 11:08 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

One more from the 50 sci-fi box set: "Robo Vampire"

Just second viewed cause I had to "Robo Vampire", a Chinese (Hong Kong?) product that had soooo much character, I couldn't follow the plot. There was the Robot Vampire of course. He was a metallic Samurai warrior who became that way (as far as I could figure out) by dying, having his body exposed to a white powder drug, turning him into a vampire who is captured by some American scientists who 'convert' him to a metallic creature theycan control and turn him loose to battle the other vampires mostly but he also battles drug smugglers, drug agents, local perverted malitia/vigilante types, a mystic conjurer who appears to be Mandarin, a ghost woman and a vampire who is conjured to be the ghost woman's lover but he gets turned into a vampire/werewolf creature. A female drug agent gets captured and some of the action is about a delta force type team who seeks to rescue her. The ghost bares her breasts for some reason that has no, absolutely no, effect on the Robo Vampire, go figure. A lot of sparks fly when the conjurer summons vampires to do his bidding. Oh, the Vampires are the funniest creatures I've seen. They have Mandarin clothing; raccoon blackening around their eyes; one likes to smoke cigarettes; they hold their arms out straight like a sleep walker but move by taking little 6 inch hops; and they disappear and appear randomly at times for no apparent reason. There's real Chinese water torture, not the sissy waterboard stuff. One of the Chinese vigilantes who switches sides a few times for unknown reasons or for reasons not exposed in the translation who wears a tam o'shanter. The Vampires can be put to sleep by slapping a piece of paper with runes onto their foreheads Boom they go right to sleep. One of the smugglers, the conjurer's friend ships the vampires in coffins as a cover for hiding the drugs on their bodies. When the white powder accidently gets on them they turn ugly. Similar to the werewolf guy but they remain just uglified vampires as a result of getting 'drugged'. There is a scene on a creek/river where some guys get blown up by a rocket propelled grenade. Several times 5 guys ride into town in a Jeep jump out and battles 5 other local guys 12 people die, 8 jump back into the Jeep, ride off and 7 locals run away. Must be a bad abacus they used to count heads. Um, I loved it! oo, wah,, choo waaah. ahhh, chur cha ooow ah (Kung Fu sounds) and lots of hand waving. Lots of the ghost and the vampires jumping up to balconies and back down to the floor. One scene where the vampire switches moving regimen from the hop hop hop to doing somersaults and on the last one you can tell he's wired cause he does a stationary spin in place off the ground. The harness stopped moving forward but he kept spinning. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. Robo Vampire !

#1082971 - Sun Feb 01 2015 08:37 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
"The Dark Corner" - why have I never heard of this movie before? Above average film noir(ish) from 1946, with Mark Stevens as a not-very-good private detective, our favourite bad guy Clifton Webb playing essentially the same part he played in "Laura", and Lucille Ball - yes, that Lucille Ball - doing a bang up job as the secretary with a thing for the boss. William Bendix is the hard guy, for a little extra added goodness. The plot even makes sense, which was not always considered necessary. If you like this sort of thing, you'll like this one a lot.

#1082993 - Mon Feb 02 2015 12:28 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
"Cliffy" ... an Australian movie about Cliff Young who ran the Sydney to Melbourne marathon as a 61 year old potato farmer in the 80s. One thing Australia does well is make quirky movies .. I loved it. smile

#1083207 - Wed Feb 04 2015 02:59 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
Coriolanus Offline
Participant

Loc: Auckland NZ
"The Keeper Of Lost Causes" - a Danish film, based on the first of a series of best selling novels about a police cold case unit. One thing that the Scandinavians seem to do particularly well is to make first rate thrillers.

#1083254 - Wed Feb 04 2015 11:04 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Johnny Belinda" 1948.

Well, this one is a melodramatic tearjerker, but really quite fetching. A new doctor comes to a little Cape Breton village (I'd say it's set in the twenties) and teaches the deaf mute girl whom everyone thinks not much more than an animal to read lips and use sign language. All is going along just swimmingly until she's raped by the bad guy, and gets pregnant. Scandal ensues, everyone thinks the baby is the doctor's, murder is done (twice!) and Belinda ends up in the dock. Just in time dramatic admissions save the day, and doctor, Belinda, and little Johnny all live happily ever after.

This is very much not a modern movie, but if you just let go and let yourself follow the story, it's an enjoyable one. Jane Wyman has the most beautiful skin I think I've ever seen.

#1083430 - Fri Feb 06 2015 12:50 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Tom and Viv" 1994. Don't know how accurate it actually is (based on the marriage of Vivienne and TS Eliot) but I have to say - if whenever I asked my husband a question he just gave a soulful look and turned away, I'd be tempted to throw some furniture too. The movie makes Eliot out to be a dreadful prig.

Fabulous performance by Miranda Richardson.

#1083521 - Fri Feb 06 2015 05:37 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Beyond the Sea" 2004. Kevin Spacey is Bobby Darin.

Not bad, but rather disjointed storytelling. Spacey's got a great set of pipes.

#1083555 - Fri Feb 06 2015 11:11 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

I'm home with a cold, so seeing a lot of movies.

"My Life so Far" 1999

Completely charming story of a Scottish childhood, based on the memoirs of Sir Denis Forman. Colin Firth is the not-necessarily-always-wonderful father.

The closing scene alone is worth the price of admission. Wonderful.

#1083747 - Sun Feb 08 2015 10:32 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Pay it Forward" 2000.

Well, I'm a sucker for a good sentimental wallow, so enjoyed this.

Which is why it bothers me that it wasn't better. It could have been so much better with some restraint, and a little more reality. Better writers.

For instance, for the ending, wouldn't it have been better if she had just turned the reporter away at the birthday party, and we faded away into the credits with characters we've seen so far, and others, doing things for people, just quietly paying it forward without any fanfare? The big reconciliation scene could have been fitted in earlier - that wouldn't have taken much. And, really, a Jag? A car, sure, but why did it have to be a Jag? That was just silly.

The movie is full of missteps like that - frankly I was itching to get my hands on the screenplay and tidy it up.

#1083868 - Tue Feb 10 2015 12:39 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
Spacey can sing, but of course he's very good at impressions/impersonations, so it's no surprise he could do Bobby Darin. If anyone is unaware of those talents, just google actor's guild. Lots of other good interviews with other actors on there as well.

Watched two (more or less) Canadian movies this week that I thought were worth the time invested:

"The Disappeared" - story about 6 men trying to survive on the ocean after their fishing boat sank. No extra special effects, no 1/2 hour lead in to how they got to where they were. Totally all about the characters and how they each dealt with the situation. Brutal film, but moving. Not tied up in a bow either (no pun intended).

"The Grand Seduction" - this is actually a remake of a French Canadian film. It's light hearted and quite funny in parts. Members of Codco/This Hour has 22 minutes make some appearances in it. Gordon Pinsent was great (a national treasure in my opinion) as always. Ending predictable but charming nevertheless.

#1084539 - Sun Feb 15 2015 09:51 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Murder my Sweet" 1944.

This is actually Raymond Chandler's "Farewell my Lovely" which I didn't know until a little way in. I read the book long enough ago that I didn't really remember it, but kept thinking "Wait, have I seen this before?"

Anyway, it's great. Have to say that in my opinion, Dick Powell makes a better Philip Marlowe than Bogie does - Marlowe should never be too tough a guy. Highly enjoyable if you like noir.

#1085001 - Fri Feb 20 2015 10:44 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Consenting Adults" 1992 Nice little thriller with some good performances but nothing special. Lots of plot holes but I've been watching so much noir lately that I barely noticed them - what are a few plot holes among friends?

#1085017 - Sat Feb 21 2015 12:15 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" - Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet

Hoe boy. A wonderful swooping roller coaster shifting from dreamworld to reality and back and forth of a love story. Carrey plays the straight man to Winslet's comic. So well done. Just when you think they've survived the dream and memory erasure, they..., well no Spoilers allowed. But the end is the key.

#1085286 - Tue Feb 24 2015 10:08 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ireland
I love courtroom dramas and will happily watch even the worst of them, I confess! Most recent ones were:

The good!

"The Judge" - Robert Downey Jr, Robert Duvall

Successful but smartass lawyer returns to his hometown for his mother's funeral and butts heads with his father, a judge. Part courtroom mystery, part family drama.

It got accused of over sentimentality but I reckon if you watch a "family drama" you have to expect a bit of schmalz here and there, so stop complaining. Beware of the cliches! Especially the opening/set up!! (And why did all the women fancy Downey Jr?) Forgive them, because it is worth a watch, especially for the courtroom storyline. I wish the film had pushed itself a little more - potential was there for something much better - but it still earned a B+ from me.

Robert Duvall earned his Oscar nomination by carrying every scene he was in. Or stealing. He was great.

The bad:

"The Trials of Cate McCall" - Kate Beckinsale

Troubled lawyer fights for justice for an incarcerated young woman....but don't bother watching, it is poor quality everything. It is alleged to have been inspired by the Amanda Knox story but I doubt that as it bears only a little resemblance. I spent most of the film wondering what would make a perfectly beautiful woman such as Beckinsale get a nose job that makes her look like she just came off the latest barbie doll assembly line. What are we doing, people?!!

The ugly:

"Inherit the Wind" - (1960) - the classic b&w version of the Scopes trial, starring Spencer Tracy.

I can't decide whether it was a flaw or pure genius that the film is so steeped in an oppressive heat and atmosphere that I felt stifled and stressed for the entire experience. "Ugly" because it is too hammy for my tastes but mainly because wouldn't it be great if its messages (re fundamentalism in religion and freedom of intellectual thought) weren't relevant anymore, but sadly I think they may be as relevant as ever.

I won't be watching again, but I will be seeking out the Jack Lemmon version of the story, and others, and I look forward to a new film of the story too because I think one should be made. (I know Hollywood producers scan this thread regularly for feedback and ideas.)

#1085334 - Wed Feb 25 2015 01:23 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

There once was an age when TV strived to be a glorious medium.

"Pinocchio", a 1976 version of the classic done as a TV dance/musical starring Sandy Duncan as Pinocchio and Danny Kaye as Gepetto and Stromboli. Supporting cast are Flip Wilson, Liz Torres and Clive Revill. There is a presentation set up acts fore and aft where they play a father and daughter who are travelling performers in Europe whose lives use "Pinocchio" as a moral compass to guide their lives. The acting, costumes, sets, choreography and cinematography are top notch (not carved on the wooden lad though). There is a scene where Duncan windmills her lower arms so synchronously perfect, you'd swear they were using CGI back in 1976. This version Calls the land/facility where the Coachman brings the kidnapped boys 'Yum Yum Land' as opposed to other uses such as 'Land of Toys', 'Pleasure Island' and 'Wonderland'. There is no Jiminy Cricket or Blue Fairy in this version. The transformations that occur with Pinocchio are all brought on by Gepetto's praying to God. I would list this with "A.I. Artificial Intelligence" and Walt Disney's animation as the top three recitations of the moral tale. As a bit of trivia, the original story was written as recently as 1883 by Italian Carlo Collodi! I thought it was much older.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the make-up should have been Emmy worthy.
Edit2: I got the Emmy awards and Nominations this product did receive from the IMdB. Let's hope the table copies well:

Won
Primetime Emmy Outstanding Individual Achievement in Children's Programming
Bill Hargate (costume designer)

Outstanding Individual Achievement in Children's Programming
Jerry Greene (video tape editor)
Columbia Broadcasting System (CBS)

Nominated
Primetime Emmy Outstanding Children's Special
Bernard Rothman (producer)
Jack Wohl (producer)

Outstanding Individual Achievement in Children's Programming
Stan Winston (makeup designer)
Larry Abbott (makeup artist)
Edwin Butterworth (makeup artist

Edited by mehaul (Wed Feb 25 2015 02:52 AM)

#1085352 - Wed Feb 25 2015 10:27 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

I agree about "Inherit the Wind", Chavs. The whole thing was a little too hammed up for my taste. I honestly don't think Hollywood would have the guts to remake this - the anti-evolution side have more political power now than they did at the time.

Never seen "The Judge" but I'm off to order it from the library!

I'd have to say that "12 Angry Men" wins this category in my mind, though "Adam's Rib" and "Anatomy of a Murder" rate pretty high up there, too.

mehaul, I'm going to look for that "Pinocchio" - it sounds great.

#1085361 - Wed Feb 25 2015 11:32 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: agony
I agree about "Inherit the Wind", Chavs. The whole thing was a little too hammed up for my taste. I honestly don't think Hollywood would have the guts to remake this - the anti-evolution side have more political power now than they did at the time.

Never seen "The Judge" but I'm off to order it from the library!

I'd have to say that "12 Angry Men" wins this category in my mind, though "Adam's Rib" and "Anatomy of a Murder" rate pretty high up there, too.

mehaul, I'm going to look for that "Pinocchio" - it sounds great.

You're right -- "12 Angry Men" is the benchmark. smile

As for a new Scopes/Inherit the Wind film, I think Kevin Spacey should do it, http://www.oldvictheatre.com/whats-on/2014/clarence-darrow/

and I am sure he'd have access to some great co-stars - Dustin Hoffman, Anthony Hopkins, Al Pacino, Kevin Klein, for example, would all do great jobs. Are you listening, Hollywood?

Don't forget to ask the library for "The Imitation Game" and "Birdman" when they become available - they are my two favourite films of the most recent releases.

Edited by Chavs (Wed Feb 25 2015 11:34 AM)

#1085399 - Wed Feb 25 2015 08:45 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

I've been having myself a little mini Kevin Spacey film festival, and yes, a Spacey version of Inherit the Wind would fit in there nicely.

#1085442 - Thu Feb 26 2015 05:39 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Have you picked a favourite Spacey film yet? I agree with your assessment of "Beyond the Sea", by the way. I think my favourite Spacey film is either " American Beauty" or " The Usual Suspects". Probably AB.

#1085460 - Thu Feb 26 2015 09:47 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

It's been several years since I've seen AB, so I think I'll have to watch it again. I loved the Usual Suspects, but I also really liked LA Confidential. Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil is coming, will probably watch it over the weekend.

#1085501 - Thu Feb 26 2015 11:42 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" 1997

I haven't read the book, and everyone is saying the movie is nowhere near as good as the book. Anyway, had a nice time with this - it seemed more of a character study of Savannah than anything else, which was fun. John Cusack and Kevin Spacey give solid and rather muted performances, which allow everybody else to shine, and shine they do. This is a movie that belongs to the supporting cast.

#1085573 - Fri Feb 27 2015 07:23 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"The Big Clock" 1948

Fantastic thriller, and the plot holes only really show in the last ten minutes or so. Great performances all around, from Ray Milland, Charles Laughton, Elsa Lanchester in a wonderful comic turn.....This one is an enormous amount of fun - if you get a chance to see it, don't miss it.

#1085650 - Sat Feb 28 2015 02:31 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Giant" 1956.

I really used to love watching this kind of movie with my Mom - huge sprawling multi-generational family sagas with lots of internal tension. Don't know how we managed to miss this one.

Fantastic performances from the leads - Rock Hudson (yes, really - a great performance from him!) Liz Taylor, James Dean. Fantastic performances from the supporting cast - Mercedes McCambridge, Dennis Hopper, Carol Baker, Chill Wills....

This is a great example of the kind of movie it is - if you like this sort of thing, you'll like it.

Page 24 of 54 < 1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 53 54 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong