Rules
Terms of Use

Page 25 of 55 < 1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 54 55 >
Topic Options
#1085712 - Sat Feb 28 2015 11:05 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
"Ball of Fire" 1941

This is the cutest thing you've ever seen. Barbara Stanwyck is a gangster's moll on the run, Gary Cooper is a sweet sexy nerd of a professor of English who is working on an article about slang for an encyclopedia. But the show is stolen by the seven elderly professors played by a bunch of lovable character actors, who are so sweet you can hardly stand it. Dana Andrews does a nice turn as the gangster.

Written by Billy Wilder, directed by Howard Hawks, this is the most fun I've had with a screwball comedy, ever.

#1085733 - Sun Mar 01 2015 08:17 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
"Idaho Transfer" (1973 Peter Fonda's 1st Director credit)

Featuring: Kelley Bohanon, Kevin Hearst, Dale Hopkins, Keith Carradine

A quirky little science fiction product that succeeds exceptionally well by marrying early electronic instrumental music with the stark yet enormously beautiful landscapes of Central Idaho's Craters of the Moon National Park and Bruneau Sand Dunes State Park. Some of the scenes and cinematography evoke the Hippy bits of "Easy Rider". You can taste Hopper's influence on Fonda's work. "Walkabout" (Jenny Agutter) can be felt as influencing this effort too.
Act I&II of the film:
Some scientists were funded to accomplish matter transfer (like the beaming in the Star Trek universe or the transporters in "The Fly". They discover two things: time travel can be done with these machines and that the near future experiences some unknown catastrophe that about wipes out humanity. Only young physical specimens can withstand the transfer process. The lead scientist has two daughters, one just arrived from a string of psychiatric clinic treatments. The plan is to send some healthy young people into the future beyond the catastrophe to possibly insure mankind's survival.
Then some plot twists happen and Act III ends and the movie's over. Or was it all just what the workings of the mentally disturbed daughter imagined as the work her father was involved in? An active mind hates blank canvas and will fill in the blanks with imaginary concepts. Because of this dichotomy of possible realities to be examined if you do that sort of thing, this is a wonderful waste of Time. And that's a spoiler that you'll have to figure out.

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#1086341 - Fri Mar 06 2015 10:07 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

If someone else could venture to watch this, I have an aching wont to have a question answered.

"Looker" (1981) with Albert Finney, James Coburn, Susan Dey, Leigh Taylor-Young

Back then, before CGI came around, this was a SciFi movie about how they could scan people into a computer and then generate people from scratch out of the computer to make things like commercials. A plastic surgeon (Finney) is being set up as the murderer of his good 'Looker' patients who are models for the computer company. That company has also developed a light gun (laser?) that disorients people which causes them to crash their cars, fall off highrise balconies, etc.
My gnawing question is: Why was the computer company so heck bent on killing the models in the first place? They presented no problem to the companies business I could interpret. Some one help, please.
It was enjoyable if you skip worrying about that one angle.

#1086366 - Fri Mar 06 2015 04:08 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ireland
Alas, I generally avoid Albert Finney so I probably won't watch it.

I watched "The Departed" (Scorsese with Martin Sheen, Matt Damon, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jack Nicholson)

Similarly I was left with several gnawing questions! When I tried to look them up on line I found hilarious threads with people arguing about whether there were plot holes or just stupid viewers -- I suspect both! smile

Despite this, it was a fantastic romp, albeit a violent one, through Godfather type of territory with a nice spy twist running through it. I was confused for a lot of the time, not least by Mark Wahlberg's strong Boston accent (Get in the Kah) and everyone else's occasional attempts at it (Wat Kah?)(The Getaway Kah, Mathahfa***ah) and oh yes, lot's of language.

Strong language and strong violence and confusing storyline. I had a ball!

Recommended. smile

Edited by Chavs (Fri Mar 06 2015 04:11 PM)

#1086374 - Fri Mar 06 2015 05:39 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

That's freakin' awesome! Southie rules.

Edit: or so we let 'um think. Keeps them quiet. We are sensitive to their needs and let 'um out on St Patty's Day (Comin' soon).

Edited by mehaul (Fri Mar 06 2015 05:42 PM)

#1086459 - Sat Mar 07 2015 06:19 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

I've got that one on order now, too....

"Peyton Place" (1957) and "The Valley of the Dolls" 1967.

Two scandalous movies made from two scandalous books, with the movies nowhere as good as the books, and believe me that's not saying much. In both of them, it's the old-time star who shows 'em how it's done - Lana Turner and Susan Hayward just blow the younger actors out of the water.

Patty Duke has the best line ever, though: "Boobies, boobies, boobies..."

#1086496 - Sat Mar 07 2015 11:11 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Singing in the Rain" 1951

What can I say about this? It's a perfect movie.

#1086522 - Sun Mar 08 2015 10:21 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
"The Book Thief" - pretty good movie. Acting was great, story was good, and for a WWII-era film, it wasn't too sad.

Editor for Television Category

#1086537 - Sun Mar 08 2015 12:51 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: mehaul
That's freakin' awesome! Southie rules.

Edit: or so we let 'um think. Keeps them quiet. We are sensitive to their needs and let 'um out on St Patty's Day (Comin' soon).

I followed up "The Departed" with the documentary about Whitey Bulger's court case. "The Departed" is supposedly loosely based on Whitey's story, but his arrest was only made a couple of years ago, after the Scorsese film. It was therefore very interesting to see the real characters that lived this bizarrely corrupted lifestyle. As a film, it was often a bit dull because it was plodding through court transcripts, but whenever it focused on the victim's families it was riveting, and very sad. There is no excitement or intrigue in murder really, just horror and sadness and anger, and exciting movies sometimes let us forget that bit. And oh the corruption, and the heights it can reach! Very nasty story. Horrible people. Nothing redeeming about a single one of them.

"Whitey: United States of America v. James J. Bulger" -- an important reality check.

#1086552 - Sun Mar 08 2015 04:43 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Chavs, try "Boondock Saints" and "...2".

Agony, "Singin' in the Rain" is on my shelf waiting for my dance/musical fever to arise once more.
I think the Peyton Place experience was ruined for America when they invented the Prime Time Soap opera so they could make some bucks on the movie's gripping reality.

I have interrupted my SciFi binge to watch what many say is one of the best films of the past twenty years: "True Romance". The fireworks come from the following great thespians:

Christian Slater
Patricia Arquette
Dennis Hopper
Val Kilmer
Gary Oldman
Brad Pitt
Christopher Walken
James Gandolfini
Michael Rapaport
Saul Rubinek
Bronson Pinchot
Samuel L. Jackson
Conchata Ferrell
Paul Ben-Victor
Ed Lauter

And since Quentin Trantino wrote the story, there is lots of references and clips from cult movies.

Edited by mehaul (Sun Mar 08 2015 04:46 PM)

#1086561 - Sun Mar 08 2015 07:02 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

By all accounts, Gene Kelly was a bit of jerk to work for, a perfectionist with very high expectations. But, he was a genius.

In this movie, though, I'd say the best dance routine is Donald O'Connor's "Make "em Laugh" - it's truly astonishing. And the best performance is Jean Hagen as Lina Lmaont of the screechy voice. "I cain't stan' 'im!"

#1086572 - Sun Mar 08 2015 08:50 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

Chavs, thanks for the rec of "The Judge". I agree, really good. And about as sentimental as you're gonna get, with that material.

Only place I really found it not working was the climactic scene in the courtroom - no way the judge would allow that to go that far off track and personal. Otherwise, it rang pretty true to me.

One thing - I've been watching a lot of black and white, and I found the cinematography not too good in this one - some of the scenery looked digitally manipulated in some way. The colours were off.

#1086606 - Mon Mar 09 2015 09:34 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

If only Anna had lived. We might have been spared so much of that other comic celeb, the hotel heiress.

"Illegal Aliens" - Anna Nicole Smith, Lenise Sorén, Gladise Jiminez

A funny (thanks to Smith) little picture from the film makers of Edgewood Films. Suffice... Some aliens are assigned to protect the Earth (familiar enough of a plot device). The aliens can take on any shape they desire. This film starts with Smith flying through space in her chosen form: a pig! As she enters the atmosphere and begins to burn up, she utters the hilariously delivered comment, "Oh nooo, I'm bacon!" That's in the first minute. There is no A N Smith nudity in this but there is some adult humor to deal with. If you need to infuse an hour of humor into your dull existence, this movie could do it for you.

#1086647 - Mon Mar 09 2015 06:47 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" (1958)

Yeah, it's really good. But, I have to say it left me a little cold. I find characters like Brick extremely unsympathetic, that's a big part of it.

Sister Woman (Madeleine Sherwood) is a great character, though - she's just so awful you can't take your eyes off her.

#1087155 - Fri Mar 13 2015 09:18 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Gilda" (1946)

Good thing Glen Ford and Rita Hayworth are so compelling, because you don't want to look too closely at the plot. She's so beautiful, though. And he's pretty cute himself, especially in the first ten minutes or so, all scruffy. Highly enjoyable, with Steven Geray as Uncle Pio stealing every scene he's in. You really won't mind that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

#1087238 - Sat Mar 14 2015 06:46 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

Yeah, Chavs, you're right - "American Beauty" it is. What a great movie.

#1087248 - Sat Mar 14 2015 10:39 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Animal Farm" a 1954 Halas and Batchelor animation of the great George Orwell novel.
I'm glad to have this in my shelf load.

"Badlands"
Martin Sheen, Sissy Spacek.
One of the crime/murder spree films that occasionally come our way. As is usually the case with these presentations, you must work to not become endeared to the characters because the parts are portrayed so superbly by the actors. Worth the watch to see early Sheen and Spacek performances. Warren Oates plays a pivotal role if you are an Oates fan.

Speaking of Spacek, how about that Spacey?
"American Beauty" is wonderful. I posted on it here about 6 months back.

#1087334 - Sun Mar 15 2015 02:24 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Victim" 1961

The movie that marked Dirk Bogarde's transition from movie star into actor.

This is a really amazing movie, and very brave considering the times in which it was made. I highly recommend it.

#1087374 - Sun Mar 15 2015 08:57 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Auntie Mame" 1958

Well, I can see why this is so many people's favourite movie, but it's a little too slapstick for me. I will admit, though, that Mame is a marvelous character, and Ros Russell was born to play her.

#1087652 - Wed Mar 18 2015 08:20 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

I wanted "Fooly Cooly", a Japanese Anime series. I made an order and a lunch pail showed up. My research says that it is #676 of 5004 in a limited edition and also contains a key chain with the DVD inside. Ah, a collector's item. I couldn't open it so I ordered a used copy of the DVD. Found out that 'Fooly Cooly' comes in a three DVD set. Ordered them and sat down to watch the other DVD.

"Cutie Honey" is a live action presentation of the Japanese Anime series and Manga success story. The heroine is toned down and slightly rebranded for the big screen. I really enjoyed it and can see why it generated collector relics. If you can remember seeing the very colorful "L'il Abner" musical, you can catch a hint of the wonderful presentation this film is (and it has some musical segments). The dubbing is top notch. She changes into the superhero by calling Honey Flash! The evil goons who oppose her are wonderful constructs. The end of the tale is a testament to love! Good not only triumphs but converts the ... sorry Chavs wants no spoilers.

Edited by mehaul (Wed Mar 18 2015 08:22 PM)

#1087711 - Thu Mar 19 2015 12:36 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
Chavs Offline
Prolific

I'm tough but fair.

#1087729 - Thu Mar 19 2015 03:07 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Revolver" 2005

Well, I tried, but twenty minutes in and I couldn't care less about any of them, and was seriously annoyed by our hero. It felt like a random series of events - I couldn't figure out why anyone was doing any of the things they were doing. I'm not talking about a convoluted plot, but just basic stuff like "Wait, why is he angry?" Life's too short.

#1087775 - Fri Mar 20 2015 02:23 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Shampoo" 1975 Better than "Heaven Can Wait" but still pretty lightweight. Great hair, though....

#1088016 - Sat Mar 21 2015 10:01 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

Realized while watching it that I had in fact seen The Departed, years ago.

And yes, it's a great movie, but.... I had some issues with the motivations, especially DeCaprio's character. Sitting there getting abused by Mark Wahlberg - why didn't he just go and be a normal state policeman? He'd passed through the academy, right? He sure didn't seem to want to go undercover. And if they knew all that about him, how come nobody knew about Matt Damon having a close relationship with Nicholson? It's not like it had been a secret, and it went on for years.....

So that interfered a bit, but still a very enjoyable movie and worth seeing if you don't mind violence and bad language.

It's no "Goodfellas", though.....

#1089161 - Sun Mar 29 2015 05:26 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

D.O.A. (1950)

This one is fantastic. Low budget film noir jam packed with great scenes and great bits. Not ten minutes goes by without something fun happening, and all the bit players just shine. Some of it is unintentionally hilarious, but it all adds up to lots of fast moving entertainment.

Page 25 of 55 < 1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 54 55 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong