Rules
Terms of Use

Page 27 of 54 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 53 54 >
Topic Options
#1095406 - Sat May 16 2015 07:11 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Finally got around to watching "A Streetcar Named Desire". Wonder what it says about me that I found Stanley a lot more likable than I did Blanche....

#1095528 - Sun May 17 2015 01:15 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
"Blindness"

Julianne Moore, Mark Ruffalo, Gael García Bernal, Danny Glover, Yoshino Kimura, Alice Braga

Here's one sensation this movie brought to me: what h*ll must be like. It was during the 'rape for food' scene. There be zombies here if you can call the world full of blind people stumbling, arms out in front to keep from walking into things and falling and getting gashes and getting filthy count as zombies.
Most of the film is centered around Julianne Moore as the only sighted patient in an internment ward populated as the result of a sudden outbreak of blindness (actually whiteness since the malady causes all to see nothing but white). She doesn't let others know she can see. She could be Queen of the place but she just acts to keep herself and her husband alive. There is one angle where a lifelong blind person uses his experiences to manipulate the newly blind.
I won't say whether they figure out how this all came about and how the h*llishness is resolved. I will say it is one of the best 'man struggles to survive' movies I have 'seen' and I say that as a legally blind person, so maybe I'm biased in my opinion. No, it is a great movie. I am going back now to just listen to it and try to catch a sense of being one of the minor characters. I'll also dig out my copy of "The Day of the Triffids".
The DVD copy I have has no extras on it. A shame. I would like to know how so many actors portrayed being sightless so well. Also the film was done in Canada, Brazil and Uruguay and the circumstances around that fact would be nice to know. Edit: I found some of the answers to those questions at the wiki page for the film. It is an interesting read. After reading that article I think that the film is not considered one of the better efforts is that it has a HEROINE instead of a hero and most masculine critics don't want to praise a flick of that sort. IMHO

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blindness_(film)

Edited by mehaul (Sun May 17 2015 01:49 PM)

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#1095547 - Sun May 17 2015 04:21 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

Yes, your description really had me thinking of "Day of the Triffids". My son, who is also legally blind, found that book very meaningful when he first read it as a young teen.

#1096860 - Fri May 29 2015 10:35 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Kings Row" 1942. Well, melodrama deluxe! Insanity and suicide and sadism, with echoes of incest and very strong homosexual overtones - everything that 1942 didn't really allow in a movie. If this is what we get when the story is whitewashed enough to meet the codes of the day, the book this film was based on must have been a real humdinger...

Ronald Reagan, believe it or not, gives the standout performance in this one.

#1097173 - Mon Jun 01 2015 10:03 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

I've spent the past two weeks twice watching the TV series that was the first half hour of the 'Back2Back Adventure Hour'

"Cleopatra 2525" (2000)

Jennifer Sky, Gina Torres, Victoria Pratt

28 ea 1/2 hour episodes of all a boy could want: laser beams, body shields, flex armor, robots, mutants, spidey webbing, holograms, smoke, mirrors, clones and drones to name most of them. Make that skimpy, clingy, revealing flex armor with exposed garters and thruster boots. In about 2000 Cleo goes in for a boob job because she's an exotic dancer who we later learn is being pushed in that career by a boyfriend. She has a bad reaction to the anesthesia and is put into cryosleep. She wakes 500 years later and is quickly adopted onto a rebel team battling to take back the surface of the Earth. A strange group of entities called Baileys have driven mankind underground. Earthmen excavated vast underground dwellings to escape. The Baileys send cloned/androids called Betrayers down to hunt the rebels. Leader of the rebels is an entity called Voice who communicates by implanted radios in the heads of her team leaders. Cleo's team consists of the leader Hel (short for Helen), SARGE (real name Rose but SARGE is an acronym about her sensuality) and Mauser (a Betrayer captured and converted to the rebel side by Hel). They operate out of facilities they call Laboratories (they get my vote for that angle alone. I love Laboratories.) They have two other villainous antagonists: Creegan and Raina. Creegan is a megalomaniac genius who looks like a cross between the Joker and a court jester who has some hidden reason he is hunting down Voice. While Raina has had some special Voice brain implants to her head radio that give her some psychic abilities.
The episodes are so full of action and plot progress that they seem like full hour stories. The Computer Graphics and physical stunt work was accomplished by many of the crews who became quite proficient on the New Zealand recorded programs 'Hercules" and 'Zena...'.
I fail to understand why Jennifer Sky hasn't become one of the world's top actresses. She speaks volumes with her expressive facial contortions and knocks your socks off with cropped ginger hair in a rendition of 'I Get a Kick Out of You' while a CG Holographic Ballet goes on in the air above her head. The writers for her character must have had a ball coming up with lines because everything she says is all new again in 500 years.
The other half of the B2BAH was Bruce Campbell's "Jack of All Trades" where he played a spy for the newly free colonies and employed Bond-ish super technologies developed by Jefferson and Franklin. I hope to acquire that series too but it seems only available by the individual episodes and then not all of them.

Edited by mehaul (Mon Jun 01 2015 10:12 PM)

#1097472 - Thu Jun 04 2015 01:42 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ireland
"Ambush in Leopard Street"

A Black and White Sunday Afternoon Film (henceforth to be known as BWSAF).

I looked up Wikipedia and all it had to say about the film was

"Ambush in Leopard Street is a low budget 1962 British crime drama."

That about sums it up, unless you want to add the word 'unmemorable'. No zombies, sorry.

If there was a DVD and it had extras, it might include that some of the cast's cockney/East end accents had a slight undercurrent of an Irish accent, so I wasn't surprised to find it had been made in studios in Bray, Ireland. The rival gang mob boss (Big George) was played by Charles Mitchel who, at the same time as this film was being made, became Ireland's first ever television newsreader. He was our anchorman for the next twenty-odd years.

Edited by Chavs (Thu Jun 04 2015 02:04 AM)

#1097488 - Thu Jun 04 2015 07:40 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

Quote:
he played a spy for the newly free colonies and employed Bond-ish super technologies developed by Jefferson and Franklin.

That certainly sounds intriguing....

#1097819 - Mon Jun 08 2015 01:24 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Try and guess the common thread:

"Zombieland" - Jesse Eisenberg, Emma Stone, Woody Harrelson, Abigail Breslin

&

"Bride of Re-Animator" - Jeffrey Combs, Bruce Abbott, Fabiana Udenio, David Gale

Yup, Zombies.
Zland is very funny at times, scripted and ad libbed and edited to keep that in mind.
Bride is funny, tongue I cheek, I mean a talking head that flies around because it got bat wings sewn on that refuses to talk when asked to show it can? Some fingers with an eyeball attached that gets
Click to reveal..
squashed by a coffee table book of anatomy
? a dog that gets a human arm attached? A cemetery re-animated that goes nuts just because it can? They might of called it Bride of Re-Inanity.

&

"Terminator Salvation" - Christian Bale, Sam Worthington, Anton Yelchin, Moon Bloodgood, Helena Bonham Carter

Zombies of a sort if androids that resurrect can be thought of as zombies. This is a sequel that would work as a stand alone piece of art. And yet it does compliment the earlier films both in quality and in time. After all getting to a fourth instalment of a franchise that doesn't contradict any earlier work or make new mythology to prove its own worth, is quite the accomplishment.

Edited by mehaul (Mon Jun 08 2015 01:34 AM)

#1098217 - Wed Jun 10 2015 11:25 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Soldier"

Kurt Russell, Jason Scott Lee, Connie Nielsen, Michael Chiklis, Gary Busey, Sean Pertwee, Jason Isaacs

As you can see, a talented cast in a near future Sci-Fi Action movie. By some unexplained development, the human race has gotten as far into space as the Magellanic Cloud galaxies. The rapid diaspora is accompanied with political revolutions needing superior fighting forces. Todd (Russell) is one. The future version of DARPA develops a genetically engineered soldier to replace the type Todd is. To prove the issue one new is turned loose on three older soldiers in a hanging from chains 40 feet in the air death battle. The new one wins sending all the others to the ground and their deaths. Since this experiment wasn't an authorized one, the bodies need to be disposed of secretly. Todd rises from the dead in a garbage hauler (OH OH IS TODD A ZOMBIE?) on his way to being dumped on a waste heap planet.
There are many references to honor "Blade Runner" and other space flicks.
This is a good movie. The Bonus commentary relates that Russell worked out in a gym for 18 months steady to prepare his body for the role of a soldier who doesn't speak unless spoken to, requiring most of his communication to be done with physical actions. A distant performance type than his role in "Vanilla Sky" about a year later.

Edited by mehaul (Wed Jun 10 2015 11:37 PM)

#1098413 - Fri Jun 12 2015 02:33 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"The Hired Hand"

Verna Bloom, Severn Darden, Peter Fonda, Larry Hagman (edited out in the theatrical, a key character in the NBC televised version), Warren Oates

Fonda's first directorial effort. Why he cut Hagman's part in the director's cut he doesn't explain but he did have Larry dub one of the bartender's voices. Fonda grew up watching his father participate in Hollywood executives' ideas of the West while he was on the real background scenes to learn what the West was really like. He chose a human footprint so different from what had been presented before that he relates in the bonus documentary that none other than Sergio Leone, of the Spaghetti Westerns, told him he always used Fonda's vision as how his sets should look!
On this and his next movie, "Idaho Transfer", he used Bruce Langhorne to supply the music. A perfect choice. Langhorne's haunting melodies convey the spirit of man against the wild of the west. Except for this modern convenience, music, this film really makes you feel part of the period. An opening gruesome scene though, is still happening these days. Flooding gully-washers would sweep people away and the lead characters here find a dead girl's body floating in the Rio Grande. For all his druggy persona many identify him for, Fonda stays well rooted in reality and does not allow himself to be washed away by the power of Hollywood.

Bonus opinion: In the Bonus material there is a photo of Langhorne in a recording studio with Bob Dylan and a young woman (Joan Baez?). Bruce Langhorne is said to be the model for Dylan's "Mr. Tambourine Man".

Edited by mehaul (Fri Jun 12 2015 02:38 AM)

#1098429 - Fri Jun 12 2015 09:42 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
Chavs Offline
Prolific

So I watched "All the President's Men" again, for the umpteenth time, but it really is so very good...and, see, it was that or "Tootsie", which I half watched anyway just because it was there and because... how can you not watch it? It is addictive.

If you only had one actor/actress (and their back catalogue) to watch for the rest of your days, you could do worse than pick Hoffman. Good variety of great films.

Edited by Chavs (Fri Jun 12 2015 10:03 AM)

#1098468 - Fri Jun 12 2015 02:48 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

You're right. Him or DeNiro.

#1098469 - Fri Jun 12 2015 02:58 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Yes, good catalogue there!

I might opt for Jack Lemmon though...

#1098479 - Fri Jun 12 2015 03:31 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

If I was going for somebody old timey, I might pick Olivier.

Jack Lemmon was in Days of Wine and Roses, wasn't he? Not all light stuff.

Edited by agony (Fri Jun 12 2015 03:33 PM)

#1098527 - Sat Jun 13 2015 05:20 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Olivier? That is interesting, he doesn't often get mentioned anymore, at least in a real way; more like a bit of history. He gives me the creeps usually so I'd have to pass on that, lol! Yes, with Lemmon you get a really good mix - China Syndrome, Some Like it Hot, Glengarry Glen Ross...three of my favourite films. I've never watched Days of Wine and Roses though. I've come to the conclusion that I don't care so much for Blake Edwards. I watched a godawful film the other night:

"The Great Race"

Blake Edwards directing. Comedy. It is just like that cartoon "Whacky Races" only less funny. Well, it is NOT funny at all. frown Big thumbs down from me, but maybe it is better if you are in the right mood.

Jack Lemmon as a Dick Dastardly character, with Peter Falk as Muttley. Tony Curtis as handsome man. (I didn't see the attraction, myself). Natalie Wood as a feminist version of Penelope Pitstop (which does not mean very feminist!) Natalie Wood is so pretty!

Thanks for reminding me about Days and Roses, I'll watch it this weekend, I hope.

Edited by Chavs (Sat Jun 13 2015 05:29 AM)

#1099433 - Thu Jun 18 2015 10:47 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Don't Bother to Knock" 1952

I didn't even know this existed - Marilyn Monroe is an unstable babysitter, Richard Widmark is a nicer guy than he first appears, and Anne Bancroft is simply stunning. It's not a great film, but it's an interesting one.

#1099641 - Sat Jun 20 2015 10:24 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

No Zombies this time. I went with Vampires. Not the Dracula variety but a type that is more of a mammalian mosquito that has evolved alongside mankind.

"Priest"
Paul Bettany, Karl Urban, Lily Collins, Cam Gigandet, Maggie Q

In this world a group called Priests act in a roll similar to Green Berets in mankind's battle with the vampires. The Vampires are a fairly unintelligent race relying on a Queen like in apiculture for directions. The gist is western so the landscape is post-apocalyptic desert-like. A good action flick with that twist on the good versus marauding evil theme. Bettany is superb as the action hero, quite a distance removed from his portrayal of Geoffrey Chaucer in "A Knight's Tale".

Now where's that next zombie movie to watch?

Edited by mehaul (Sat Jun 20 2015 10:58 AM)

#1099684 - Sat Jun 20 2015 06:29 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

A quick update to my posting about "Soldier". I heard Loreena McKennitt sing "Night Ride Across The Caucasus" in the film so I sought and bought her album "The Book of Secrets" which has the song on it. I'm listening to it tonight and reviewed the IMdB entry for "Soldier" to make sure I'd connected correctly on song and screen. Fine, got it right but I reviewed the trivia for "Soldier" and found this IMdB entry:

"While listing the weapons Todd is trained on, you can he is capable of using the "Illudium PU36 ES,M" otherwise known as the Illudium PU36 Explosive Space Modulator. This is the same weapon Marvin the Martian is always threatening to use on Earth in his Bugs Bunny cartoons." Ha Ha Ha Ha

Edited by mehaul (Sat Jun 20 2015 06:30 PM)

#1099895 - Mon Jun 22 2015 08:40 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Starts with a dead body... ends with that body still dead!

"The Passion of Ayn Rand"

The Showtime biographical based on the book by one of Rand's closed friends and advisers, Barbara Branden. I'd been wanting for a long time to learn a bit about one of the foremost promoters of Capitalism and anti-Communist philosophy as they apply to the individual. I think I got my wish with this well presented offering.
Starred:
Helen Mirren, Eric Stoltz, Julie Delpy and Peter Fonda

Addit: the dead person was Rand: at her wake and then at her grave.

Edited by mehaul (Mon Jun 22 2015 06:52 PM)

#1100114 - Wed Jun 24 2015 10:03 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Bunraku"
Josh Hartnett, Woody Harrelson. Gackt, Kevin McKidd, Ron Perlman, Demi Moore

Not reviewed very well but I enjoyed some aspects of it a lot. Topmost are the sets. I was reminded mostly of 'Dick Tracy'. Why I don't know, possibly the intense color presentation. I do know I also sensed 'Guys and Dolls' where some of the sets were realistic and some surreal. Bunraku is a Japanese giant puppet medium and there is a sense at times that the characters are appropriately 2 dimensional.
The panning might be due to a story driven by violent encounters a touch more than might have been necessary. The artistic direction, though it should be closely allied with the sets isn't, throws a lot of currently popular Manga or graphic novel like 'Sin City' to it.

#1100292 - Thu Jun 25 2015 05:03 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

I just watched some strange stuff.
"Quark Star" done like a youtube series sort of by Simon Tarr. There is one human who exists 450,000 years in the future. There are 2.5 million clones of him. He is on the search ship to find the theorized quark star. The DVD is put in the player. A dialog exposes the background info (not much help) then a menu pops up. You can chose to select files from the Comm logs, the Security logs, the EVA logs or another set of logs. None of the logs are complete. What descriptions I could find of the 'artifact' is that each time you load the DVD, a new set of files are selected to fill the few slots available to be files. I spent an hour doing right enter, right enter, down enter, up enter, down enter...
What I've seen is funny. At the beginning it asks if you want to view logs - or- Not. I wonder what happens when if I chose not?

Edited by mehaul (Fri Jun 26 2015 10:16 AM)

#1100554 - Sun Jun 28 2015 04:10 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

It's taken an XBox video game and an animated film based on that game to make me more aware of the finer points of Dante Alighieri's "Inferno"

"Dante's Inferno (sub: an Animation)" (not to be confused with "Dante's Inferno Animated") is based on the Electronic Arts video game where Dante is presented as a Templar Knight returning from the Crusades. It differs from the original tale by having Dante's love, Beatrice, kidnapped by the devil and taken to h*ll's inner circle.
Six different anime studios were given separate parts of the tale to animate and so the visuals of the levels of h*ll look different. Universal Studios is planning a live action version of this re-imagining of Dante's masterpiece.

Edited by mehaul (Sun Jun 28 2015 04:10 PM)

#1100556 - Sun Jun 28 2015 04:46 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

A funny spy pic I put up there with the likes of 'The Pink Panther' for humorous situations.

"The Nude Bomb" (also known as The Return of Maxwell Smart or Maxwell Smart and the Nude Bomb)
Don Adams, Sylvia Kristel, Dana Elcar, Andrea Howard, Vittorio Gassman, Earl Maynard, Bill Dana (Jose Jimenez), Norman Lloyd, Gary Imhoff, Sarah Rush, Richard Sanders, Rhonda Fleming, Dick Durock (Swamp Thing) and Bruce the mechanical shark from Jaws in retirement as a Universal Studios Tour Attraction.

Based on characters created by Mel Brooks and Buck Henry, this was written by Bill Dana, Arne Sultan and Leonard Stern. Dana wrote himself the part of Jonothan Levinson Seigle which should tell you that all social icons of the time (late 70s) were fair game. There's the Nude Bomb (ex: Neutron Bomb), there's freefall parachute humor, clones gone wild, high Alps avalanche threats. The original series used CONTROL as the firm the Agent 86 and 99 worked for. This adventure has 86 working for an outfit called PITS, Provisional Intelligence Tactical Service. (yes, Smart has been sent to the Pits of the spy operations)

Adams tried a few times to get this movie made after the series was cancelled. A second re-unionish film went directly to TV.

edit: Added Dick Durock to the cast.

Edited by mehaul (Mon Jun 29 2015 09:44 PM)

#1100928 - Wed Jul 01 2015 09:28 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Ziegfeld Girl" (1941)

James Stewart, Judy Garland, Hedy Lamarr, Lana Turner, Tony Martin, Jackie Cooper, Eve Arden, Edward Everett Horten

B&W sequel/companion piece to "The Great Ziegfeld". Judy does a few routines, all memorable but none historic. Busby Berkeley did the choreography and if you're talking Ziegfeld Follies type of productions, you're talking spectacle.
I really enjoyed seeing some of Lana Turner's early work. She had the lead role in this but not top billing. I met her in 1957 (a bad year for her, not me) on a cross country jet flight. I think she was going back to LA from Boston after doing some "Peyton Place" work. In four hours we exchanged a few words. She was very beautiful.

#1101230 - Sun Jul 05 2015 01:54 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
terraorca Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio USA
"American Sniper"

Page 27 of 54 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 53 54 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong