Rules
Terms of Use

Page 28 of 54 < 1 2 ... 26 27 28 29 30 ... 53 54 >
Topic Options
#1101487 - Wed Jul 08 2015 02:00 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
live4trivia Offline
Prolific

Loc: Canada
Stay Alive (again... I lub this movie)

#1101595 - Wed Jul 08 2015 10:04 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Growing up in the late fifties exposed me to a love of my aunt's: Movie Soundtracks from adapted Broadway musicals. This film accounted for part of her collection:

"Kismet" (1955)

Howard Keel, Dolores Gray, Ann Blyth. Vic Damone, Sebastian Cabot

The songs from it I remember the most (and for some reason, not the versions that hit the charts on the radio playlists, to me I hear the movie album) were "Stranger in Paradise" by Vic Damone and Ann Blyth, and "Baubles, Bangles, & Beads" by Blyth.

The story takes place in Baghdad circa 1000 when Islam had re-visioned the lives of the Arabian peoples but had failed to yet eliminate the folklore of genies and Karma and KISMET. It is a parallel tale to that of Scheherazade and Aladdin. The locations are Baghdad Damascus and desert oases. The film depicts the wealth, even before oil discoveries, of a major society existing on the spice route from the East to the West. It wouldn't hurt those interested in the goings on in the Middle-East to have this movie on their watched list.

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#1101596 - Wed Jul 08 2015 10:04 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
terraorca Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio USA
Watching "North by Northwest" again. One of my favorites, on TCM(Turner Classic Movies). Hitchcock, is a master of suspense, and a master of misdirection.

#1101717 - Thu Jul 09 2015 10:43 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
terraorca Offline
Enthusiast

Just watched "The Day the Earth Stood Still", the original from 1951, with Michael Rennie and Patricia Neal on TCM. Great movie with a powerful message.

#1101759 - Fri Jul 10 2015 10:31 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Summer and time for some pure escaping.

"Tango and Cash" p/o Action Double Feature - Sylvester Stallone, Kurt Russell
Buddy cops battle the local crime lord. Guess who wins.

"Cobra" p/o Action Double Feature - Sylvester Stallone, Brigitte Nielsen
Super cool, rogue cop takes out a violent revolutionary movement.

"Rollerball" - James Caan, John Houseman, Maud Adams, John Beck, Pamela Hensley
Good dystopian tale about a star athlete making his stardom a reason for the masses to gain a sense of individualism and (in the never-made sequel) revolt against the Corporate Council that blindly rules the world. Actually a good movie, this one.

"Man with the Screaming Brain" - Bruce Campbell, Tamara Gorski, Vladimir Kolev, Antoinette Byron, Stacy Keach, Ted Raimi
One of Bruce Campbell's own projects. Hits your hilarious bone several times.

"Killer Tomatoes Eat France" - John Astin, Eileen Bowman
As good if not better than any of the previous three Tomato movies.

"Tripping the Rift: The Movie" - Stephen Root, Maurice LaMarche, Jenny McCarthy
Can't wait to watch the DVDs of the whole three seasons. Very irreverent animation subject matter.

"Starcrash" - Marjoe Gortner, Caroline Munro, Judd Hamilton, Robert Tessier, Christopher Plummer, David Hasselhoff
A forced attempt to capitalize on the Star Wars success. It is David Hasselhoff's debut film. It also shows that Caroline Munroe can act away from Harryhausen's stop motion animation characters, well almost. It wasn't Harryhausen who did the stop action in this one. Some of the space scenes are neat because they made the stars in the colors stars are known to shine in (but guys, at light years distances they all look white. Color tends to fade over distance.) The plot kept changing during the edit process, so don't feel bad if you miss this one. Although that giant golden Amazon robot is....

Edit: The "Starcrash" DVD is a two disc set that has a nice interview with Caroline Munro reviewing her career.

Edited by mehaul (Fri Jul 10 2015 10:49 AM)

#1101768 - Fri Jul 10 2015 12:27 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
terraorca Offline
Enthusiast

Why is there no discussion on any of these movies being watched? No interest in any being watched except by those doing the watching? I'm new here, so maybe I'm on the wrong thread.

#1101773 - Fri Jul 10 2015 01:28 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Discussion comes if other people have seen the movie, so have something to add. It helps if you tell us something about the film when you are posting - what is the message, what other movie did it remind you of, what did you think of the performances, etc etc. Go back over a few pages and you'll see some discussion.

#1101790 - Fri Jul 10 2015 03:11 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
terraorca Offline
Enthusiast

There is hardly any discussion on the Bookworm thread either. Why did I go through all the hassle of signing up for the Forums? Oh well, lesson learned.

#1101793 - Fri Jul 10 2015 03:38 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Geesh, and I thought I might have been posting too much about how I felt about the movies I posted.

addition: Over the past ten pages of mentioned movies, I have gone and purchased a copy of the DVD if available for around 15 movies. Have I come back to add my opinion beyond what the original poster said? Only a couple of times. The posts here, as Chavs began this thread was for us to state what films we'd recently seen (no requirement was made as to whether it had to be at a theater on a DVD or on TV, heck we've even mentioned a few times TV series that are available on DVD for one sitting watching and made comment). There was a request to offer our impression of what we saw and to not just state the title (but that is okay too!)
So when Chavs, Agony or someone mentions they've seen what might interest others and tells us why that is so and adds some trivialities about the production, some of us react by seeking that movie (and since it can take a couple of weeks to get the delivery and view the thing, conversation about it is nearly worthless) and reporting back not so often. We don't sit very often and debate whether the film is better than another. The point about offering an experience is that and not an opening to a debate. That would lead to a thread that aims to identify the 10 best movies ever. Not the purpose of this thread. IMHO

In the 3 or so years this thread has run, I have purchased 1,500 DVDs. I would say at least 100 of them are due to being exposed to the title here on the Forums. If you want a different format to be followed, asking Chavs is not against the rules. And starting a thread of a different format is allowed too. You just have to go to the Movies and TV Forum Home Page and Click on New Topic at the top of the thread list and begin.

PS and mea culpa for not saying "Welcome to the thread" I hope you continue to participate.

Edited by mehaul (Fri Jul 10 2015 05:41 PM)

#1102034 - Sun Jul 12 2015 08:38 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
terraorca Offline
Enthusiast

I think that mehaul watches a lot of movies.

#1102036 - Sun Jul 12 2015 09:17 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Naw, I use telepathy. Like the late great Johnny Carson character, Carnac the Magnificent, I hold the DVD case to my forehead (all the while reading the blurb on the case back) and wing it. When I'm wrong, someone corrects me.

#1102041 - Sun Jul 12 2015 10:17 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
terraorca Offline
Enthusiast

Apparently mehaul took what I wrote as a shot, and it wasn't meant as that at all.

#1102052 - Sun Jul 12 2015 11:57 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Please, don't start this (anagram this) again.
You come and state one title with no expounding and later complain (yes, that is how you put it, you 'wasted your time to join the forums') that no discussion takes place.
Then you do offer additional matter about the films you posted and seem insulted that no one wants to discuss them further. It is explained to you by two of us that discussion is not always the result of a contribution. I added ways you might investigate to satisfy your desires. That was being polite.

Then you offer opinion not about a movie but my viewing habits. Should I not sense that you took a shot? I tried to laugh it off, make light of the comment and you come back with a further opinion about my attitude? You have a long row to hoe my friend to learn how civil communication is conducted.

With your last 4 postings, you have taken this thread away from its intended purpose. That is called high-jacking and is sadly frowned upon. Often such groups of exchanges are deleted wholesale by the moderators.

#1102054 - Mon Jul 13 2015 12:31 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
terraorca Offline
Enthusiast

Who is high-jacking what? Look at the last two pages on this thread and tell me who is high-jacking.

I know how civil communication is conducted, and I also know when someone is trying to twist something and make it something it's not.

I am not telepathic, but I can read, and I feel like someone is trying to bully me off of (his) Forum.

#1102055 - Mon Jul 13 2015 12:38 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
terraorca Offline
Enthusiast

I think that terraorca watches a lot of movies.

Yes I do.

#1102059 - Mon Jul 13 2015 03:36 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Some more summer escape fare:

"Escape from New York"

Kurt Russell, Lee V Cleef, Ernest Borgnine, Donald Pleasence, Isaac Hayes, Harry D Stanton, Adrien Barbeau and an ubiquitous Carpenter casting: George 'Buck' Flower. And, if you listen closely, that is Jamie Lee Curtis doing the security complex PA system announcements.

The DVD didn't have any bonus material. I fixed my expectations on mining the credits and I found GOLD! James Cameron is credited as Jim Cameron, Director of Photography, He did this and a couple of other flicks in 1981. Then nothing until 1984 and he came out with "The Terminator". There is lots of similarities to the photographic art of "Escape..." and "The T...tor". So, although John Carpenter is the major force named for "Escape...", fans of Cameron should watch this earlier work. Also interesting is that the scale model of the city is the same one used for miniature Photography in "Blade Runner".
The plot of running a rescue mission out of the Manhattan Prison was virgin material for dystopian tales. It moves right along and I only found myself having to suspend belief once (that a giant wall had been built around Manhattan in the late 80s. Trump would never have allowed it unless they'd named the prison after him, so maybe he'll get his wall later, a bit to the south?) As an action film it satisfies because it moves from confrontation to confrontation in a fluid manner. It lived up to its namesake and provided escape for a hundred minutes.

Edited by mehaul (Mon Jul 13 2015 04:05 AM)

#1102076 - Mon Jul 13 2015 09:44 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
terraorca Offline
Enthusiast

I really enjoyed "Escape from New York", I think it was Snake Pliskin played by Kurt Russell. I think they did another "Escape" that was not as well received.

#1102088 - Mon Jul 13 2015 12:40 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Yup, from LA this time.

Kurt Russell was my secret crush when I was a young girl - he was in all the movies aimed at exactly my age group. One of the few to transition from child star to adult performer without crashing and burning spectacularly on the way.

#1102092 - Mon Jul 13 2015 03:25 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
terraorca Offline
Enthusiast

Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn still happily unmarried together.

#1102098 - Mon Jul 13 2015 05:35 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

A summer full of escapes: Taliban from Qatar, Murderers from Clinton County NY, Mexican drug lord in Mexico, Snake Plisskin (double s for a snake sound) from NY, my mind from daily stresses by watching escapist movies and this (I do tend to watch series of stories in successive sittings) after "Escape from NY" I naturally had "...from L.A." in my queue.

"Escape from L.A."

Kurt Russell, Cliff Robertson, Steve Buscemi, Stacy Keach, Peter Fonda, Pam Grier, Bruce Campbell, Michelle Forbes (Ensign Ro Laren of Star Trek NG), and from the used quite often by John Carpenter stable, Peter Jason (of "They Live" notoriety as a leader of the resistance movement and keeper of the sunglasses)

With a 5.6/10 rating at IMdB (better than bad) I found it to be a good follow-up in the life of Plisskin. No Cameron involvement this time so that possibly drew the satisfaction down. Gleaned from the credits: there were 75 stunt artists listed and with Carpenter involved in selecting stunts, the action in this movie was very well performed. Another C's involvement, though brief, was worth it (Bruce Campbell in facial mask done by Rick Baker - another gem!) Bottom line; failed as a money maker but wins as an entertaining and befitting sequel, which is rare!
So, my Russell list of late has included these two Escape films, "Vanilla Sky", "Soldier", "Tango and Cash", "The Thing", "Bug Trouble in Little China", "The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band" and "The Fox and the Hound". All movies worth the popcorn. I think next I'll try to locate a copy of "Used Cars" since the DVD was Nominated for DVD Exclusive Award for Best Audio Commentary, Library Release (shared with Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale)

Edited by mehaul (Mon Jul 13 2015 06:44 PM)

#1102099 - Mon Jul 13 2015 06:16 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Wow, two Bruce Campbell with Stacy Keach movies in a week!

#1102100 - Mon Jul 13 2015 06:29 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
terraorca Offline
Enthusiast

I own "Used Cars", well worth the price of popcorn.

#1102102 - Mon Jul 13 2015 07:19 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

I found it from an online Goodwill store here in Florida for $0.99 plus $3.99 to the handlers and postage. I just read today that FL's Legislature cut a lot of funding to Help for the Handicapped Operations so they could use the funds.

#1102224 - Wed Jul 15 2015 01:28 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
Fifiscot Offline
Learning the ropes...

Haven't watched any movies worth discussing, but am currently rewatching the entire "West Wing" series.
It really stands up - the dialogue and characters are brilliant. Will be sorry when I'm finished.

#1102275 - Wed Jul 15 2015 11:53 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Escape fare is telling a story in a manner to distract. When there is a moral to be gained in the telling, all the better. Fairy tales are escapist, fables are escapist with a moral. I think Hans Christian Andersen's stories are at the level of fable. I found a copy of "Hans Christian Andersen" starring Danny Kaye (he had to be one of Hollywood's most talented performers) and immediately placed my order. That order was cancelled due to it no longer being in inventory. I waited months for another copy to become available. Maybe they're all in Libraries?

"Hans Christian Andersen" (1951)

Danny Kaye, Farley Granger, Beverly Washburn, Zizi Jeanmaire, Joseph Walsh

Done in Technicolor and, if so, is remarkably well restored for the DVD edition. If you're going to invest in fairy tales, rich color is the way to go.
The screenplay was written by Moss Hart, but this is more musical, no, more ballet than play. and the ballet is wonderful. Jeanmaire had a tremendous talent and it's nice it was recorded here. One of the ballet presentations is based on HCA's "The Little Mermaid". The wire work to imitate mermaids swimming in the ocean is a must see. Danny Kaye sings a few memorable songs (they were on a Decca Soundtrack that went to #1 in 1953). He also does some dance work with Jeanmaire.
I included Washburn in the cast list above because she guest starred or co-starred on almost every show done on TV in the 50s and 60s and this is one of her only movies. I remember her as one of the tiniest actresses to be on an episode of the original "Star Trek" series. In this film she (appropriately?) plays the young girl outside the jailhouse window that Andersen (Kaye) sings 'Thumbelina' to.

Addition/Trivia: On the Decca album it was Jane Wyman (Ronald Regan's ex) who gave voice to the female parts opposite Kaye!

Edited by mehaul (Thu Jul 16 2015 12:12 AM)

Page 28 of 54 < 1 2 ... 26 27 28 29 30 ... 53 54 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong