Rules
Terms of Use

Page 29 of 57 < 1 2 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 56 57 >
Topic Options
#1102305 - Thu Jul 16 2015 06:33 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I remember this from when I was a kid - I loved it then.

#1102314 - Thu Jul 16 2015 11:43 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
I was in swaddling clothes when it came out in theaters and by the time it aired on CBS in 1966, I was 'too old' to watch fairy tales. I love it now.

adit: The initial ballet that HCA sees the ballerina perform, though not named, seems based on "Hans Brinker or The Silver Skates: A Story of Life in Holland" as the male dancers do a wonderful imitation of skating on the stage. Though not a HCA tale (author: Mary Mapes Dodge), it does fit the atmosphere the filmmakers are trying to establish early on in the story.

Added adit: Okay, hooked. I just ordered (from Goodwill) a DVD of the 1962 Walt Disney TV anthology version of "Hans Brinker or The Silver Skates: A Story of Life in Holland". I need my finger in the dike fix real bad. Mid summer and I have a Jones for ice skating in winter movies.

Edited by mehaul (Thu Jul 16 2015 01:03 PM)

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#1102355 - Thu Jul 16 2015 04:01 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"The Atomic Man" (also promoted as "Timeslip")

Gene Nelson, Faith Domergue

Scientist known as "the Isotope Man' is found amnesiatic in a London canal. His gibberish statements are found to be being given 7.5 seconds ahead of the questions. His exposure to radioactive materials has cause a rift in the time continuum. (Why am I reminded of tales of today that are spread to make us fear environmental consequences of human activity that are just as unbased in real science? Anyway...) A slick reporter (Nelson) and his arm candy photographer (Domergue) slowly put the pieces together about a South American (German) plot to stop the breeder reactor from making rare elements. All but the bad guys survi..., er, no spoilers, sorry.

Seeing Nelson has me wanting to search my stacks to find "Oklahoma!" to see him dance at the train station again. Not many of Faith's efforts, though she is beautiful, are in films that match her beauty and are less likely to be a target for me to hunt down and revisit. But we shall see.

#1102394 - Thu Jul 16 2015 08:31 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

I love time travel movies, might have to check this out, though not really time travel I suppose

#1102397 - Thu Jul 16 2015 08:44 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

A 7.5 second time slewing because of exposure to Isotopes. Hey that may be a way to monitor nuclear effort in Iran. Just listen for people who say no before you ask if they're breaking the treaty!

#1102398 - Thu Jul 16 2015 08:45 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Why is this not your run of the mill time travel tale? Is there a practical modern use for the concept?

Edited by mehaul (Thu Jul 16 2015 08:50 PM)

#1102480 - Fri Jul 17 2015 08:42 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Used Cars"

Kurt Russell, Jack Warner, Gerrit Graham, Deborah Harmon, Michael McKean, David L. Lander, Frank McRae

Good:
- Opening credits: Executive Producer, Steven Spielberg
- Lenny and Squiggy of Laverne and Shirley back together as a radio genius team
- Al Lewis as the Hanging Judge with gallows, guillotine and electric chair models on his bench
- Valid used car jokes
- Gratuitous breast shots
- Bowling alley restaurant
- Talented beagle
- Car leaping train stunt

Bad:
- 200 cars chasing across environmentally sensitive desert
- Burying a dead body without calling civil authorities
- Gratuitous breast shots
- Underage/unlicensed teens driving at 95 mph
- Mechanic abusing garage gases
- Graft hungry politicians

Good outweighs the bad. I did enjoy it.

#1102520 - Sat Jul 18 2015 12:54 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
terraorca Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio USA
On back to back nights recently I watched "The Day the Earth Stood Still", the 1951 version and the next night, the 2008 version.

The 1951 "The Day the Earth Stood Still" starred Michael Rennie, Patricia Neal, Hugh Marlowe, and Sam Jaffe. Imho, a true Science Fiction classic, IMDb rates it a 7.8 out of 10.

There are some basic plot variations due to the technology factor of 57 years between original and remake.

The 2008 "The Day the Earth Stood Still" starred Keanu Reeves, Jennifer Connelly, Kathy Bates, and Jaden Smith. IMDb rates it a 5.5 out of 10, I personally don't think it deserves that.

Interesting to watch both so close together, so that I was able to see what passes for film making now (special effects), versus making a film a half century+ ago.

#1102525 - Sat Jul 18 2015 03:55 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
jonnowales Offline
Prolific

Loc: Swansea
Wales UK
Watched F. W. Murnau's 'Faust' (1926) this afternoon - an incredibly good piece of cinema, and an example of a film where I can't see speech/dialogue making it any better. Emil Jannings steals the show as the crafty, scheming Mephisto. Classic German tale of good v bad, selling your soul to the devil and "the delusion of youth".

#1102608 - Mon Jul 20 2015 03:01 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"The West Point Story"

James Cagney, Viginia Mayo, Doris Day, Gordon MacRae, Gene Nelson, Alan Hale Jr

A musical romance, B&W and not the history of West Point. Sure the action takes place there but it is about putting on an annual variety show by the cadets. Great Tap dancing by all the cast except MacRae. I think a lot of Cagney wore off on Day in this one.
So, I recommend this as a wonderful passing of time. I got this to hear some early Day singing (and I admit hoping to see some leg when she danced, which was done with ankle length gowns. Rats!) but found a treat. After watching "The Atomic Man", I wanted to re-watch "Oklahoma!" to see more of Gene Nelson, particularly his dancing. This movie is full of it (Nelson Tapping)! Yes, a wonderful movie this one.

#1102970 - Thu Jul 23 2015 10:44 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
terraorca Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio USA
TCM (Turner Classic Movies) had "A Quiet Man" on Tuesday evening. What a delightful film, in my opinion. John Wayne, Maureen O'Sullivan, Ward Bond, Victor McLaglen and a cast of scores of great character actors, all directed by John Ford.

#1103155 - Fri Jul 24 2015 08:01 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
jonnowales Offline
Prolific

Loc: Swansea
Wales UK
Caught a couple of modern films over the last few days - 'Whiplash' and 'Saving Mr. Banks'. Both were good films in their own way, the latter really brings a different perspective to the P L Travers classic, 'Mary Poppins'.

#1103853 - Thu Jul 30 2015 04:45 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Tripping the Rift: Season 1
Tripping the Rift: Season 2
Tripping the Rift: Season 3
Tripping the Rift: The Movie
Stephen Root, Maurice LaMarche, (as Six: Jenny McCarthy, Carmen Electra, Gina Gershon), Gayle Garfinkle, Rick Jones, John Melendez (yes, Stuttering John of 'The Howard Stern Show')

The three women rotated the voicing of Six the Cyborg sexpot through the series. The production is completely irreverent and driven by innuendo, There is lots of references to most of the SciFi series of the past. The Movie is actually made up mostly of three episodes of season 3. It does have some fair bonus material. Watching the series in one long sitting made me realize that the anticipation and wait for the next episode when it ran was possibly half the fun of it. It was a treat to hear Stuttering John do voice over work displaying not a trace of his handicap. Well done John.

#1103887 - Thu Jul 30 2015 10:17 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
wwe84 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: New South Wales<br>Austral...
Watched "Law Abiding Citizen" last night i love watching this movie don't know how many times I've seen but it's one of my favourite Gerard Butler films ever.

Gerard Butler portrayal of Clyde Shelton is simply awesome to watch & his interaction with Jamie Foxx's character Nick Rice is so good to watch.

Edited by wwe84 (Thu Jul 30 2015 10:18 AM)

#1103889 - Thu Jul 30 2015 10:35 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Norman Foster was a Director for many of Walt Disney's TV Anthology series. A few were assembled later to be single movies rather than installment episodes. Foster had been married to Claudette Colbert in the 20s. Then he married Loretta Young's sister/actress Sally Blane and they had a daughter named Gretchen (after Loretta). One can only wonder how he felt about being involved in the 1962 Disney production of the Zuiderzee's

"Hans Brinker or the Silver Skates"
- Rony Zeaner, Carin Rossby, Gunilla Jelf

Mary Mapes Dodge spent a few years of the 1860s studying Dutch Political History. She came away with this story. It is built around the class struggle of the Dutch 'haves and have-nots'. There is strong development of the idea of the family unit as seen by the brother/sister characters of Hans and Gretel, of the occupation caste and of the wealth division of political castes. I'm sure there was a religious aspect to the situations of the era but in 1865 when she wrote it, and later it didn't seem a factor large enough to be in the screenplay (Foster also).
Foster used his budget well in selecting locations, studio sets, costumes and other parts that gave a real expression of the life as a poor fisherman's son would have lived it. An excellent film now that we can see it put together un-episodically and in one sitting. It should be seen by more people.
I've learned that if your wooden shoes start to splinter, you go down to the beach and polish them by dancing in the sand! More fun than using just sandpaper.

Edited by mehaul (Thu Jul 30 2015 11:43 AM)

#1104159 - Sat Aug 01 2015 02:24 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

I got one bunch of the TCM (Turner Classic Movies) set of Doris Day. There are 5DVDs in the set, each with a film and some temporal bonus material. First off:

"It's a Great Feeling" - Doris Day, Dennis Morgan, Jack Carson
Doris' 3rd film is a farce that is largely a cameo vehicle for Warner Bros to popularize their stable of contracted players for that year: Danny Kaye, EG Robinson, Joan Crawford, Bugs Bunny, Gary Cooper, Michael Curtiz, Sydney Greenstreet, Patricia Neal, Ronald Reagan and Jane Wyman (Reagan and Wyman's daughter Maureen also makes an appearance in a scene with her mother - worth seeing the movie for alone!) and Errol Flynn.
The Bonus stuff: Spills and Chills (newsreel of stupid human tricks); The Three Bears in a cartoon "Bear Feat"; another cavalcade of stars popular and getting top billing at the theaters of the time; and, a trailer for the movie

Edited by mehaul (Sat Aug 01 2015 02:36 AM)

#1104180 - Sat Aug 01 2015 07:48 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Mad Max: Fury Road" finally went to see this last night.

My first date with the man who became my husband was dinner and a movie - "The Road Warrior", the second Mad Max movie. It was 100% not the kind of thing I usually watch (I find car chases the most boring part of a movie) but there was something about it that made it better than it had any business being. So I've always had a soft spot for the Mad Max franchise.

And this one really lives up - it's just a great movie. It's still 100% not the kind of thing I usually like, but there is just something about it that makes it good.

#1104371 - Sat Aug 01 2015 05:23 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Yeah, I finally watched my Netflix DVD "The Grand Budapest Hotel". I should have waited till I was in the mood for it instead of trying to watch it so I could send it back on a Saturday afternoon. All in all, it was a quirky movie that generally kept my attention, but felt drawn out in spots - but that's to be expected with that type of movies.

Editor for Television Category

#1104386 - Sat Aug 01 2015 10:44 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Tea For Two"
Doris Day, Gordon MacRae, Gene Nelson, Billy DeWolfe, Eve Arden, SZ Sakall

The old "The Show's in trouble, let's save it by putting on a show!" musical routine (and almost the identical cast to "The West Point Story") this has Doris as a rich aspirant who will save the show by becoming a part of it. An update of the "No, No, Nanette" story where she makes a bet with her guardian she can go 48 hours without saying 'Yes" to questions. Memorable songs: "I Only Have Eyes for You"; "Tea for Two"; "I Want to Be Happy" (But I can't be happy 'til I make you happy too)
Reference is made to Babe Ruth (who was sold by the Boston Red Sox baseball franchise owner to fund the original "No, No, Nanette") Edit: I just discovered that Eve Arden was in the cast of 1940's version of "No, No, Nanette".
The DVD bonus material: "So, You Want To Hold Your Husband" - a Joe McDoakes (George O'Hanlon/George Jetson) B&W short; "Tee For Two" a Tom and Jerry MGM cartoon; The American Railroad Hour presents G MacRae and D Day in an hour long radio presentation of 'No, No, Nanette'; The overture audio of 1930s 'No, No, Nanette' film; and the theatrical trailer for 'Tea For Two'.

I wanted to see Gene Nelson tap dancing after watching "The Atomic Man", I sure am getting plenty of it.

Edited by mehaul (Sun Aug 02 2015 06:17 PM)

#1104444 - Sun Aug 02 2015 01:55 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"April in Paris"
Doris Day, Ray Bolger, Claude Dauphin, Paul Harvey, Eve Miller

Another Eve in the cast as the second female role! Another famous tap dancer (Bolger) who I was surprised to see in a lead role as Doris' paramour. A film that moves right along. The song and dance routines don't seem inserted because it is time for one. In places the situation of the plot lends itself to some good humor. This is not "Ben Hur" or "The Wizard of Oz" but it is a good musical comedy for sure. The song "April In Paris" is presented several ways, all of which are wonderful and go to show why the song has had so many years of play (at least in my mental gramophone machine).

The bonus material: "So, You Want To Wear The Pants" another Joe MacDoakes (George O'Hanlon) B&W short; "Terrier-Stricken" a Chuck Jones WB Claude and Frisky cartoon; and, a theatrical Trailer.

#1104457 - Sun Aug 02 2015 06:22 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

That sounds like a good one for me - I can't call myself a Doris Day fan, but I don't mind a good DD movie now and then.

#1104777 - Wed Aug 05 2015 10:00 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

If you don't want to feel intimidated by her wonderful voice, this next one's for you:

"The Tunnel of Love"
- Doris Day, Richard Widmark, Gig Young, Gia Scala

Only a background song over the titles in this one. It earned DD a Nomination for Best Actress by the Academy. No Eve in it either. There is however a great tap dancer involved. No, no dancing Widmark or Young. The Director was Gene Kelly! He's the master of movement in this one. The studio was trying to squeeze him out with this last of his contract films. They only gave him one set and 18, yes 18, days to film on a budget that imposed B&W! But he came through marvelously. I don't understand the title though. There is no carnival/fair ride Tunnel of Love in the story, which tells about some pitfalls a couple trying to adopt encounter.

One of the adoption investigators was played by Gia Scala. A real beauty who turned up dead of prescription drug overdose in her trampled bedroom with booze bottles lying around and I understand she didn't drink. Her death seems like a copy cat or repeat killer from the Marilyn Monroe death scene. Sad. Back to good stuff. During the film, about a third of the way in, I noted that Widmark is a blond dead ringer for Steve Buscemi! (or the other way around)

The bonus material is: "Tot Watchers" a Hannah/Barbera cartoon of Tom and Jerry: and, a theatrical trailer.

#1104869 - Thu Aug 06 2015 06:15 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Ok, my TiVo recorded this and I watched it: "The Chumscrubber".

Yes, it has Glenn Close, Alison Janney, and Lauren Holley... but I couldn't tell you what was going on in the movie. I think I'd need to be either drunk or going crazy from lack of sleep to understand it. Ever watch "Magnolia"? It's not quite that weird, but close...

Editor for Television Category

#1104892 - Fri Aug 07 2015 12:15 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

I just looked up "The Chumscrubber" on wiki and it does seem to have such a convoluted plot(s) that some unraveled loose ends could trip up a watcher.

And thanks for giving me an opportunity to break from the Doris Day Marathon (I have one more post to make on the 5 DVD Box Set). Something serendipitous has happened in my viewing over the past few days. I watched Tom Hulce and Don Opper's "Slam Dance". I enjoyed it. I reviewed wiki's article on it which was less than glowing. Since I enjoyed it, I watched it again and confirmed it is a good Cloak and Dagger who-dun-it. I particularly was taken by the character actress Herta Ware's portrayal of Mama Raines, the deaf landlady who steals her tenants mail and vouches that the postal carriers are causing a revolt by stealing mail. Tremendously foibled character. Next I wanted some science fiction so I pulled "2010 - Odyssey 2" and there she was again playing the comatose mother - of transitioned astronaut Frank Bowman - who sits up to let him brush her hair before she dies. One minute of screen time and such impact! For those who wonder if she did more famous roles, the answer is yes. She played Alzheimer's sufferer Rosie Lefkowitz in the "Cocoon" movies.

She died 10 years ago on August 15, 2005.

Edited by mehaul (Fri Aug 07 2015 12:20 AM)

#1105102 - Sun Aug 09 2015 01:03 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

#5 in the Doris Day set:

"Starlift"
Doris Day, Janice Rule, Dick Wesson, Ron Hagerthy, Ruth Roman, Gene Nelson, Gordon MacRae, James Cagney, Jane Wyman, Virginia Mayo, Phil Harris, Gary Cooper. Randolph Scott and comedy team Tommy Noonan and Peter Marshall

There's that Nelson again! As you can tell from the cast list, this is another cavalcade of the studio's contract stars like "It's a Great Feeling" two years earlier, Doris is only on screen for about 10 minutes in this one.
It was a promotional effort to publicize the efforts that were being made to entertain returning troops from the Korean War. It again has the familiar, there's trouble, let's put on a show plot. As each scene rolls around the stage they use in the squadron flight waiting room gets bigger and more elaborate. The hospital scenes go from giant wards to small rooms. There is a love story woven somewhere among those shifting sets,

The Bonus material was in one case very topical to recent African news of lion killing:
"Desert Killer" a color short about a mountain lion who is killing livestock. A hunter is brought in to take care of it but ends up capturing the beast instead;
"So You Want To Be a Bachelor" another Joe MacDoakes (George O'Hanlon) B&W short;
"Sleepytime Possum" a WB Merrie Melodies cartoon;
Theatrical trailer.

Edited by mehaul (Sun Aug 09 2015 07:55 PM)

Page 29 of 57 < 1 2 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 56 57 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong