Rules
Terms of Use

Page 30 of 56 < 1 2 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 55 56 >
Topic Options
#1105154 - Mon Aug 10 2015 01:27 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
"The Message"

Anthony Quinn, Irene Papas, Michael Ansara

An interpretation of the inception of the Muslim Faith. It begins with the 40 yr old Mohammed gaining followers in pagan Mecca, those followers being driven out to Medina and Mohammed's later exile, also to Medina. Then come the wars to force the pagan Meccans to allow Mohammed's return. The film is somewhat unique in that to honor Islamic traditions of not having icons of the prophet, he is not shown as an actual character on screen but the director allowed the camera and us to see what transpired through his perspective when the story required his presence in the scene.

DVD bonus material:
"The Making of..."
Director's English & Arabic commentary tracks
Theatrical trailer
The Arabic language version (with different cast!)

A must for those who would like to understand some of the Why of the Middle east situation.

Edited by mehaul (Mon Aug 10 2015 01:29 AM)

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#1105169 - Mon Aug 10 2015 08:25 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
That sounds really interesting, I'll check it out.

#1105275 - Tue Aug 11 2015 11:12 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Chernobyl Diaries"

Jesse McCartney, Jonathan Sadowski, Devin Kelley, Olivia Taylor Dudley

This effort is trying to exploit or feed off nuclear ignorance and the success of horror in the theater. Apart from that, the actors were very convincing in their roles. We will probably see more of them in the future. The DVD bonus is 45 secs where the leads raise a toast to being in Kiev. Since most of the action takes place at night, we don't get to see much of Kiev or the Ukraine. A lot of the filming was in Belgrade.
Click to reveal..
The monsters are suffering from Elephantitis from gene mutation from the Nuke accident and woe, the director and producers make them out to be monsters rather than victims. Alas

#1105469 - Wed Aug 12 2015 10:56 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Gambit" 1967 Shirley MacLaine and Michael Caine.

This one is charming and tons of fun. Exactly what you want when you order up a caper movie from the sixties.

#1105616 - Fri Aug 14 2015 05:15 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Ghost In The Shell - Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society"
(which somehow translates to about 4 Japanese text characters)

All the main cast of the TV series and the earlier movie are there. But so is the plot: aging population and cybernetics placing a strain on employment figures, the Puppeteer, suicidal victims, youngsters being kidnapped, surviving military officials from 'that war' and corrupt bureaucratic officials.
As a fan of the TV series I was glad to see the old gang in action but disappointed it wasn't new action.

#1105737 - Sat Aug 15 2015 12:25 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

I want the Strausses, Bach, Brahms, Berlioz, Rimsky-Korsakov, Tchaikovsky, Handel, Haydn, Chopin. But I at least have Mozart and Beethoven...

"Amadeus" and "Immortal Beloved", respectively a tragedy and a love story. Beethoven asks in "Immortal Beloved", "What is the music for?" He answers that it is not for the joy of the listener but for the listener to possibly grasp what thoughts are in the composer's head as he wrote the music. With great music, even if that connection is not made, there is pleasure in the attempt itself. There is a sadness to both these works. Mozart is tossed at his end into a pauper's grave, one body among many and Beethoven departs as a body alone, without sharing his life with the one he loves all because of a silly accident of a carriage breaking down. They both felt love through the music.

Edited by mehaul (Sun Aug 16 2015 01:08 AM)

#1106067 - Wed Aug 19 2015 12:14 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
"Amadeus" is a great movie, I have loved it for years, and still retain my old VHS version of it. I loved the punky, funky portrayal of Mozart which contrasted and thus highlighted his innate genius, the evil Salieri, tortured with envy for the genius of Mozart yet hating the vulgar person which he was. I also loved the costumes and sheer luxury of this movie, which give a real sense of the decadent lifestyle of the upper classes of the day.

Has there ever been such an emotionally-charged scene as the final hours of Mozart: Salieri driven by his love of music to extract just one more masterpiece from the so-detested, dying Mozart; Mozart himself destroyed yet as always transported by his music. Sublime!

#1106167 - Wed Aug 19 2015 07:39 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
terraorca Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio USA
Watched 12 Angry Men again last night on TCM. The movie was made in 1957, directed by Sidney Lumet, produced by Henry Fonda, starred Henry Fonda and 11 other stars in their own right. Outstanding movie, filmed in a jury room with plenty of passion. Nominated for 3 Oscars, Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, received an 8.9 rating from IMDb viewers.

#1106279 - Thu Aug 20 2015 03:04 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Carriers" (2009)

Lou Taylor Pucci, Chris Pine, Piper Perabo, Emily VanCamp, Christopher Meloni, Kiernan Shipka

This film was made in 2006 and put on the shelf (it happens). It's a tale of the attempt to survive an Ebola type epidemic in the whole world (aversion to portraying the very real possibility of Pandemic may have also been a reason for the shelving). There are 4 main characters and two essential additional characters to help move the survival issues along. It kind of dead ends (sorry for the pun) on the road to denouement. This is not a zombie movie but would do well as a survival training film.

The reason it was released three years after being finished and put in a can was the success of Chris Pine as the new, alternate reality Captain Kirk in the Star Trek series. He was good in this, showing some strength in his character. Lou, Piper and Emily also acted well. I felt sorry that the story didn't have a better finish for them.

Edited by mehaul (Thu Aug 20 2015 03:09 PM)

#1106282 - Thu Aug 20 2015 03:24 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

B movie? Film Noir? This is one of five (out of 6 in the entire book series) of Boris Karloff's portrayals:

"Mr. Wong in Chinatown". Also with Marjorie Reynolds and Grant Withers.

Much like a Charlie Chan movie, this has most of the Noir needs: dead femme fatale, exploding cabs, foggy waterfront wharfs, oddball weaponry (Chinese Sleeve Gun), senseless tragedy, police always one step behind the action and the hero. I doubt because of political correctness, this Chinese stereotyped venture would be made these days. I was utterly taken with watching Karloff trying to figure out how to handle one of the props, a cigarette. I might try to acquire the other films in the series.

Edited by mehaul (Thu Aug 20 2015 09:41 PM)

#1106561 - Sun Aug 23 2015 08:37 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

My daughter has decided it's time to watch some of the movies that everyone has been recommending to her for years, that she hasn't seen. In the last couple of days we've watched "Fargo" and "Jaws". I've seen "Fargo" several times and always enjoyed it, but haven't seen "Jaws" since the summer it came out. I'm surprised at how well it's stood up - there were only a few places where the effects seemed really cheesy. I wonder how modern CGI effects - some movies look more to me like video games than movies - will look to us in thirty years. Not that great, I'm wagering.

Also watched "August Osage County" last night. And I've gotta say, these dysfunctional family pieces don't really speak to me, much. I've got some relatives who are one tenth as horrible as these, and even so, I stay in a motel, and I leave the evening of the funeral. You stick around for days in the home of someone dreadful, surprise surprise bad things happen. And you don't wait 38 years to tell your wife to cut it out if she does something that bothers you. I must be missing some southern drama gene, I guess.

#1106688 - Mon Aug 24 2015 03:39 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

I left Schubert off my earlier lizst. Sorry Franz.

"Tchaikovsky, The Tragic Life of a Musical Genius"
Ed Stoppard starred as the conflicted Russian Composer. This is a compilation DVD of a 2 part/2 hour BBC biographical program plus a 1 hour investigative piece:
"The Creation of Greatness";
"Fortune and Tragedy"; and,
"Who Killed Tchaikovsky?"
The first two parts didn't give a hint that there was controversy about the end of his life. The bonus part 3 is quite revealing. the British narrator/presenter of the first two parts, Charles Hazelwood, had no qualms about telling us and performing as a conductor for, his favorite Tchaikovsky pieces. Sadly, he doesn't seem to like "The Nutcracker Suite". Must take an American (or Russian of course) background to like that one. There is 'Pathetique', 'Swan Lake' and many smaller bits of symphonies, concertos, operas, ballets, chamber pieces and such. Thank you BBC.
As to the quandaries about his death, many answers could be found by modern CSI techniques. But I don't think the Russians want to have the answer. What was important was his music after all.

Edited by mehaul (Mon Aug 24 2015 03:43 PM)

#1107167 - Sun Aug 30 2015 09:07 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Opening scene: B&W, Cassius Clay pounding his fists at viewer/camera/POV/character, evidently a boxer and he's getting counted out, we're still the POV (point of View), He's helped out of the arena, in a hallway we pass a mirrored candy vending machine and BLAM we switch out of the character's POV into our own as the mirror POV. We see the smashed up face of the lead character and it isn't pretty,

"Requiem For A Heavyweight"

Anthony Quinn, Jackie Gleason, Mickey Rooney, Julie Harris, Haystack Calhoun, Gorgeous George, Cassius Clay, Floyd Patterson and other 'Ring' celebrities

One of the great tragedies of American Literature by Rod Serling. Just a grand effort on the part of all the crew and cast to get it on the big screen. This is one of those 'everyone has to see it' films. The spark of love that ignites between the Mountain and Miss Miller characters is worth the watch. Julie Harris was so pretty as a Plain Jane.

Edited by mehaul (Sun Aug 30 2015 09:10 AM)

#1107171 - Sun Aug 30 2015 09:24 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Lisztomania"

Roger Daltrey, Ringo Starr, Sara Kestelman, Rick Wakeman, Paul Nicholas

Some nudity but lots of genitalia innuendo. Based on a tell all recounting of one of Liszt's many affaires d'amore. Made in the same atmosphere and time as "Tommy", I think this one would be best enjoyed if you were partaking of the era's popular drugs. It does have vivid colors and shocking images so I don't understand why it wasn't more successful. I mean any film with Sara Kestelman in it shows someone in the production knew what they were doing.

#1107236 - Sun Aug 30 2015 03:54 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
TriviaFan22 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Texas USA
It was John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars, I think.

It was pretty alright, despite bad reviews. It was on tv, however, which meant the most violent scenes were axed out. Unfortunately, there were good reviews of death scenes and I like death scenes from horror films.

#1107269 - Sun Aug 30 2015 06:32 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Clueless". This is so much better a movie than it appears to be.

#1107318 - Mon Aug 31 2015 10:43 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"A Naxos Musical Journey: Rimsky-Korsakov - Scheherazade"
DVD International has published a series of travelogish works where they accompany recorded sceneries with great works of classical music. This one centers on an Islamic Medrese (school) in the middle of a desert. Follow the local people as they attend school in ancient architectural wonders. See the people herd their goats, pick their cotton and gather in the bazaars. All the while hearing the great violin arrangements created by Rimsky-Korsakov as a tribute to the tale of the genius Arabic woman who put off her death by weaving tales of fantasy for the Caliph. A bonus feature is a piece of his opus about Sadko, the mythical tax collector for the Sea Tsar and views of St. Petersburg's Lake Komarovo.

#1107414 - Tue Sep 01 2015 08:21 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Diary of a Teenage Girl".

Not everyone is going to like this movie, but I was blown away. A fifteen year old girl, having an affair with her mother's boyfriend, the story told without judgement - this is the kind of thing we are very uncomfortable with in our culture. We see this degree of raunch in countless movies about boys, and much worse, but to show very young female sexuality as raunchy is a seldom thing.

I read some reviews this morning, and was a little amused at how every reviewer made a point of saying "and this is illegal" and "and this is wrong" - saw the movie in a cineplex, where most likely several hundred people were killed in all the various shows that night, but nobody points out how wrong that is.

Anyway, fabulous performances, especially by Bel Powley and Alexander Skarsgård. Fabulous direction. Animated sequences that take us right to the character's heart.

I loved it.

#1107433 - Tue Sep 01 2015 12:50 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

You had me at Diary.

#1107500 - Tue Sep 01 2015 06:31 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
"Essex Boys"

Yet another random movie that popped up because my TiVo is recording anything with Alex Kingston... it also stars Sean Bean, so right from seeing his name in the credits you know his character's outcome can't be good. It was a decent movie - seeing Alex with straight hair was different, although I wasn't prepared for the nudity... (although there wasn't much). If you like movies like Leon/Professional and Traffic, you'd probably like this one.

Editor for Television Category

#1107898 - Fri Sep 04 2015 11:20 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
Watched "The Counsellor" the other night (your spelling may vary). Halfway through it I realised I had watched it before (but apparently I had missed the first third at least lol). Depressing movie. Gory bits. You pretty much know it's not going to turn out well from the very first minute. I don't recommend watching it right before you go to sleep or you will dream of bolitos. The internet says they are fictional, but I'm not so sure. I've seen the device in 3 different shows/movies, so the pessimist in me thinks that someone must have invented one by now.

There was nothing wrong with the acting or the cinematography, or the jumping around from one location to another in this film. In fact, those are the only things that kept me watching it. As far as characters though, it was pretty hard to like any of them enough to really care what happened to them. I don't recommend it unless you're a die-hard Ridley Scott fan.

Edited by Jakeroo (Sat Sep 05 2015 03:57 PM)

#1108406 - Thu Sep 10 2015 09:03 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

My daughter is going through a tough breakup right now, and is craving women's movies that aren't romances, so we watched "Beaches" this afternoon. Yikes, it's really a terrible movie. We liked it, it did the trick, but that doesn't mean it isn't terrible. Not a cliche left unturned, not a human emotion left unsimplified or made more bland.

#1108716 - Mon Sep 14 2015 09:50 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"The Animatrix" - a series of 9 short anime based in the 'Matrix' universe. Seven different animation directors show off their styles from manga to 3D CG. Very enjoyable. The bonus interviews explain a lot about the recent history of anime. If you enjoyed watching the "Heavy Metal" films, you'll like this. I got mine as part of the Complete Matrix Collection (I've got some popcorn coming for the rest of the package.)

A very nice Russian sequel film - "Day Watch". The original ("Night Watch" which I've now ordered) gets expanded on in this first Russian soiree into Vampire films and it comes with some unique Russian takes on the myth. The bonus here is that the director speaks English very well when doing the ~decade look back commentary track. There is excellent action, CGI and camera work here.

Edited by mehaul (Mon Sep 14 2015 09:56 PM)

#1108720 - Mon Sep 14 2015 10:44 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
sisterseagull Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Torquay, Devon UK
'Pacific Rim'... Probably the most irritating film it has ever been my misfortune to endure!

#1108726 - Mon Sep 14 2015 11:18 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
Pacific Rim: fx/visuals were pretty good. Story stupid. I didn't like it a lot, but if you're a fan of comic book story telling, then I can see where some folks might have found it good watching just for the silly fun popcorn value. Not all movies need to contend for Oscars or have some poignant thing to say about life in general. I believe most of them should simply entertain (and of course, we all have personal ideas on what "entertainment" means lol). I feel the same way about "Guardians of the Galaxy" mostly, except that that one was really campy and way more fun than "Rim".

For some unknown reason, I like seeing Ron Perlman in movies (I do believe he's actually a better actor than most of the roles he's partaken in thus far, but hey, sometimes you take the roles that pay the big bucks I guess).

As for "Guardians", I can watch Chris Pratt all day. Rather looking forward to seeing "Jurassic World" for no other reason besides Pratt, except for the fact that I love dinosaurs lol

Edited by Jakeroo (Mon Sep 14 2015 11:29 PM)

Page 30 of 56 < 1 2 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 55 56 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong