Rules
Terms of Use

Page 40 of 54 < 1 2 ... 38 39 40 41 42 ... 53 54 >
Topic Options
#1144979 - Fri Sep 16 2016 10:32 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
"Clue" 1983

An all star comedy cast shine in this ridiculously silly movie based on the board game. It's not a kids' movie, but an eleven year old who is familiar with the game would think it was the funniest thing ever. A lot of fun.

#1144984 - Sat Sep 17 2016 12:45 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
gracious1 Offline
Prolific

Loc: New York USA
Blazing Saddles (1974)

Saw this at a movie palace downtown a few hours ago. I have to say, there was a great deal to this film that I had forgotten, so it was nice to see it again, and it is the first time I've ever seen it on the Big Screen.

Having said that, I was surprised that there was so much there that was really offensive, more than I remember from watching years before. Mel Brooks is a comic genius, and now that I am older and I have seen most of the classic Westerns that he sends up, I really appreciate the parody and humor better than ever. On the other hand, there was so much that seemed unnecessary, and other stuff that seemed less funny than shocking, which isn't the same thing.

Also, I had not recalled the scene where Count Basie plays with his band in the middle of the desert. It was amazing. In fact, overall the music was impressive, something I guess I never noticed watching it on TV.

Hard to believe that Cleavon Little, Harvey Korman, Slim Pickens, Madeline Kahn, Alex Karras, Dom DeLuise, George Furth, and now Gene Wilder and David Huddleston are all dead. Mel Brooks is just about the only one from the movie who is still alive!

#1145192 - Tue Sep 20 2016 03:20 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Candygram for Mongo. Straight from Looney Tunes. smile

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#1145199 - Tue Sep 20 2016 10:44 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"The Fortune Cookie" 1966

Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau's first movie together, directed by Billy Wilder. And yes, it's as good as that information would lead you to expect. It's very funny but not laugh a minute....the underlying themes of racism, guilt, loneliness come through strongly.

One nice litttle bonus of this movie is that you get glimpses of so many familiar bit part actors in minor roles... lots of faces you've seen in a dozen movies.

#1145205 - Tue Sep 20 2016 07:18 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
"The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover "

Michael Gambon and Helen Mirren... And it was weird. Very very weird. Like an art house movie where you think this is terrible but everyone else around you is like "oh, this is amazing" and you wonder if they're watching the same movie.

Editor for Television Category

#1145281 - Wed Sep 21 2016 12:45 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
Tryst Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mu Mu Land
If you think that was weird you should check out some of Peter Greenaway's other films especially his earlier work,The Draughtsman's Contract,A Zed & Two Noughts and
Drowning by Numbers

#1145330 - Thu Sep 22 2016 12:51 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
WonkasWife Offline
Participant

"See No Evil, Hear No Evil" 1989

This zany comedy stars Richard Pryor as a blind man named Wally and Gene Wilder as a deaf man named Dave.

#1145612 - Sat Sep 24 2016 07:03 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
WonkasWife Offline
Participant

"Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" 1971

#1145627 - Sat Sep 24 2016 12:17 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
Deadwood003 Offline
Participant

Loc: South Dakota USA
"Stand by Me" 1986

#1145628 - Sat Sep 24 2016 01:03 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
Charlie1977 Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Denmark
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002).

#1145657 - Sat Sep 24 2016 10:15 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

I sure miss hearing what the viewers thought about the movie they're reporting.

#1145659 - Sat Sep 24 2016 11:35 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

A lot of B&Ws herer!

"Streets of Fire" - Michael Pare, Diane Lane, Willem Dafoe
Music video stretched into a feature film. Michael Pare had me wanting to hear Eddie and the Cruiser music from john Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band. Dafoe is convincing in one of his early villain roles.

"The Philadelphia Experiment" - Michael Pare, Nancy Allen
The original usually shines as does this scifi unique theme. Time travel conundrums galore!

"The Philadelphia Experiment" (remake) - Michael Pare, Nicholas Lea, Malcolm McDowell, Emilie Ullerup, Gina Holden
Pare in a supporting role as a heavier g'ment hit man. McDowell is seen briefly as a good guy. How rare is that?

"Termination Man" - Steve Railsback, James Farentino, Athena Massey, Eb Lottimer, Aleksandr Ilin
Um, DNA adjusted super spy goes up against the evil eastern European dictator who threatens the world with an unbeatable killer chemical gas. Never knew they made "B" versions of the Bond films.

All these are B&W
The Best of Abnbot and Costello Vol 3 - Abbot and Costello 8 films
You'd think that a studio team would have a routine and stick with it. Not these guys. All movies are comical but different from each other. The best are probably "... meet Frankenstein" (lots of jolting shock gags), "Mexican Hayride" (Costello doing the Samba is the best fat man dancing I've ever seen!) and "... Go To Mars" (which they never do, they end up on Venus. but there's three women deserving of note out of this one: Mari Blanchard as the Venusian Queen, Martha Hyer who went on to do some great feature lead roles here as the scientists adoring secretary, and the great European beauty Anita Ekberg in her early days as a dazzling guard.
- "Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein" - A&C, Lon Chaney Jr, Bela Lugosi, Glenn Strange, Lenore Aubert, Jane Randolph
- "Mexican Hayride" - A&C, Pat Costello, Virginia Grey, John Hubbard, Luba Malina
- "Abbott & Costello Meet the Killer Boris Karloff" - A&C, Boris Karloff, Lenore Aubert
- "Abbott & Costello Meet the Invisible Man" -A&C, Nancy Guild, Arthur Franz, William Frawley, Sheldon Leonard, Adele Jergens
- "Abbott & Costello in the Foreign Legion" - A&C, Patricia Medina, Walter Slezak, William 'Wee Willie' Davis, Tor Johnson
- "Lost in Alaska" - A&C, Mitzi Green, Tom Ewell, Iron Eyes Cody
- "Abbott & Costello Go to Mars" - A&C, Mari Blanchard, Dudley Dickerson, Martha Hyer, Anita Ekberg, Harry Shearer (Yes the great comic of SNL and "This Is Spinal Tap" fame::: 1st role)
- "Comin' Round the Mountain" - A&C, Dorothy Shay, Kirby Grant, Glenn Strange, Margaret Hamilton After almost 20 years, Margaret Hamilton shine reprising some of her OZ Wicked Witch character.

Back to color
Gorehouse Greats Collection (12 Movie Collection) - Crown International Pictures
- "Blood of Dracula's Castle" - John Carradine, Alex D'Arcy, Paula Raymond, Vicki Volante
- "Blood Mania" - Peter Carpenter, Maria De Arago
- "Terrified"
- "Nightmare of Wax"
- "Brain Twisters" - Terry Londeree, Farrah Forke (NOTE: Nothing to do with the FT Brain Twisters!)
- "The Devil's Hand" - Linda Christian, Robert Alda, Ariadne Welter, Neil Hamilton
- "The Madmen of Mandoras"
- "Stanley" (if you like snakes here be lots and lots of them)
- "Satan's Slave"
- "Terror"
- "Trip with Teacher"
- "Prime Evil"
Not that bad overall. I've said too much about these already.

"Transylvania 6-5000" - Michael Richards, Geena Davis, Carol Kane, Jeff Goldblum, Ed Begley Jr, Jeff Jones, John Byner
This is hilarious at times. See all those star names? These are some of their early work. Performances that certainly benefited their resumes.

"Elvira" - Cassandra Peterson
Good story to highlight the asset that is Elvira. Has a big supporting role for Jeff Conaway.

Four for Texas - Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Anita Ekberg, Ursula Andress, Arthur Godfrey
Next

Fellini's "I Clowns" / "The Temptation of Dr. Antonio" - Anita Ekberg, Federico Fellini director
"I Clowns" is typical Fellini (I think) in mood and presentation. But if you enjoy the rare clown performance... this displays some of Europe's best from the last half century and throws in a wee bit of clown history to boot.
The Dr Antonio segment is the Fellini contribution to "Boccachio '70". It is how a drink milk billboard featuring that darn beauty Ekberg that drives a prudish man bonkers. A lot of Italian Fascist architecture is featured, esp. the building that is central to Julie Taymor's "Titus (Andronicus)"

"Paris Holiday" - Bob Hope, Anita Ekberg, Martha Hyer
There's that team of beauty again: Hyer and Ekberg. I watched just to see them.

B&Ws again!!!
The Cecil B. DeMille Collection (Cleopatra/ The Crusades/ Four Frightened People/ Sign of the Cross/ Union Pacific) -
- "Cleopatra" - Claudette Colbert (CC) Watched and related on last week(?)
- "The Sign of the Cross" - CC Charles Laughton as Nero! Supposed to have sent prudes into a frenzy and brought about a ratings revolution. I found it quite tame!
- "Four Frightened People" - CC And one disappointed viewer.
- "The Crusades" - Loretta Young, Henry Wilcoxon Very topical. If you want some history to guide part of your opinion on ISIS, check out this epic gem
- "Union Pacific" - Barbara Stanwyck, Joel McCrea, Robert Preston - Love triangle uses the building of the cross America railroad. Also to be seen is an early Anthony Quinn.

2 more A&C. the color in J&tB was a trial film type and has faded to a sepia&W color over the years. Africa Screams is B&W
- "Jack and the Beanstalk" - A&C, Buddy Baer, Dorothy Ford, Barbara Brown, Shaye Cogan as Eloise Larkin, James Alexander
- "Africa Screams" - A&C, Clyde Beatty, Frank Buck, Max Baer, Buddy Baer, Shemp Howard, Joe Besser, Hillary Brooke Two Future Stooges together: Shempand his replacement when he died, Joe.

B&W
"The Palm Beach Story" - Claudette Colbert, Joel McCrea, Rudy Vallee, Mary Astor
If "Some Like It Hot" had an inspiration, this is it!!!!

#1145678 - Sun Sep 25 2016 06:48 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

I think I'm going to have to take a look at that DeMille collection.

I loved Palm Beach Story.

#1145721 - Sun Sep 25 2016 10:37 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

I just checked the Sign of the Cross disc and it says it has SDH and has subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired. Which I think is the way of the whole collection. You once said that benefited your viewing at times if I recall correctly. Being B&W, there is no color fade to worry about. And for an old movie, these have been preserved continuously through the years by the DeMille family Trust so the frame by frame image is crisp and clear. (Of course, I wish Ted Turner had gotten hold of them to add color. It is DeMille after all and the sets and costumes scream vibrant color if it had been available at the time.)

#1145722 - Sun Sep 25 2016 10:42 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

Ordered it from the library.

Trying to decide if I want to see All About Eve on the big screen tomorrow. Might be fun, don't think I've ever seen it in a theatre.

#1145726 - Sun Sep 25 2016 11:08 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Last Tango in Paris"
Marlon Brando, Maria Schneider

My take? Excellent investigation on the relation of death and excitement as acted out by sexual encounters. The movie seems to go on for a long period of time but we later realize this all takes place within a week, maybe two. Brando is the newly made widower of a Paris flophouse madam who'd given up and committed suicide. His lover is a young actress on the verge of stardom who has to face the relics of the deaths in her family as she organizes her new life by ridding herself of mementos. Clash, bang, pow and it's over quite sadly. tragically. A love tragedy! There haven't been many of those (why Shakespeare only wrote hundreds of them) but this one shines because of the two lead performers.

#1145984 - Thu Sep 29 2016 03:31 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
WonkasWife Offline
Participant

"Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" (2005)

The remake of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory starring the gorgeous Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka. Though I'm a huge fan of Johnny Depp I still prefer the original Wonka played by the gorgeous Gene Wilder more.

#1146442 - Mon Oct 03 2016 06:40 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Lady in the Water" - Paul Giamatti, Bryce Dallas Howard

m. Night Shyamalan's inspired mythology he invented as a bedtime tale for his children. For those who enjoy ethereal creatures as a diversion, this really makes the mustard. We should be happy that such an accomplished director would share such a personal gem with us. Panned by the critics (because one of the victims is a critic?), it does entertain wonderfully. And M. Night plays a central supporting character, showing he has the chops to go with the potatoes. Yum...

#1146451 - Mon Oct 03 2016 07:46 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
markswood Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Sussex England UK             
"Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse" - comedy, horror and a lot better than you expect. If you like "Shaun of the Dead" then you will probably like this.

#1146755 - Thu Oct 06 2016 09:54 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Johnny Guitar" 1954

Joan Crawford in big big billing, Sterling Hayden, Scott Brady (man, does he look like Ray Liotta!) and the always wonderful Mercedes McCambridge. Ernest Borgnine playing Ernest Borgnine.

This is a good one, basically the Shane story, with the addition of a thing going on with the two women. Lots of sexual tension all over the place. Beautifully shot, the colours are incredible.

#1146758 - Thu Oct 06 2016 11:19 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
gracious1 Offline
Prolific

Loc: New York USA
Tuesday night I watched two silent films.

Little Annie Rooney (1925)
Starred Mary Pickford. She was facing her 33rd birthday but she was playing a spunky teenager, very convincingly I might add! And it was really quite moving, the scene where her father died and her brother comforted her. Pickford was never over the top. It's about gang wars and revenge and really worth seeing. Very interesting scenes involving people of all nationalities in her New York tenement neighborhood, too.

Mothers of Men (1917)
This is really amazing. It is about a woman who runs for office, first as judge, then as governor of California! (Women had attained the right to vote in California in 1911.) A newspaper editor slanders her, and she also faces a life-or-death dilemma. I don't want to give too much away, although I don't know if this is available on home video on the Internet as it was recently restored.

A few days earlier, on Sunday night I had watched another silent movie: The Wizard of Oz (1925).
This is completely different from the famous 1939 movie and the book. Oliver Hardy was in it, though! An important plot point is that Dorothy is really from Oz and she was kidnapped and taken to Kansas, so much of it is about restoring her to her rightful place as Queen. There is also a lot of broad, slapstick comedy, including some ridiculous scenes with lions! Oh, and airplanes!

Edited by gracious1 (Thu Oct 06 2016 11:20 PM)

#1146828 - Fri Oct 07 2016 01:34 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

I love silents.

The acting style, which needs to be different for obvious reasons, only seems over-wrought and false when you just see little out of context clips - in the context of the real film, it works very well.

And because things can not be expressed by words, or as is often the case in modern movies, in extreme closeup, you'll notice a lot of nuance and subtlety in that seemingly over the top style. You just have to learn to look for it.

#1146838 - Fri Oct 07 2016 03:44 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

gracious1, I too enjoyed that silent version of "... Oz". I posted on it too a few months back:::

Post#1126673 - Thu Feb 18 2016
The 1925 silent version of "The Wizard of Oz". Same characters but based more on L Frank Baum's original story line. The screenplay credits Baum's son, LFB Jr. The start may have inspired "The Princess Bride" since it is a grandfather who agrees to read the story to a grandchild. Oliver Hardy plays the Tin Man (in a really big costume). Very enjoyable for a silent movie. The tornado special effects are well done. My DVD also has Fritz Lang's "Metropolis" and a few era cartoons (1 a Betty Boop).

#1147039 - Mon Oct 10 2016 07:54 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

In advance of Hurricane Matthew, I'd charged my laptop and my portable DVD player. I figured I had a dozen hours of viewing potential if we'd lost power. Being just south of West Palm Beach, we were saved from even a flickering of the electricity. Sadly not so for other areas. Coastal North Carolina is expected to be without power for a week! Shades of Wilma in my memory when we went 4 days in an urban environment without the juice.

Anyway, leading up to the storm I watched the old Republic movie studio shorts meant as fare for weekend matinees in early 50s Bijous.
"Commando Cody and the Radar Men from the Moon" (1952)
George Wallace, Aline Towne, Roy Barcroft, Clayton Moore
Okay the jet pack flying suit is just a leather jacket with a couple of thermos tanks and a control (on/off, slow/fast, up/down), the helmet was pretty cool looking. My best enjoyment in this series was seeing Clayton Moore (later to become The Lone Ranger) as one of the bad guys. Lots of barroom brawl type stunt work was choreographed too.

After I had my storm shutters deployed I sat down to re-acquaint myself with
"Highlander"
Christopher Lambert, Sean Connery, Roxanne Hart, Clancy Brown
Clancy Brown was a great villain. Connery did his best to be a dandy Egyptian/Spaniard. The film's concept led to several sequels and a long running TV series. "There can be only one." That sets the mood consisely.

And in the agonizing hours while Matthew crossed from the Bahamas to Miami,
"The Alamo"
John Wayne, Richard Widmark, Laurence Harvey, Richard Boone and a host of Wayne familiars who had established character types in years of performing with Wayne
Wayne's first Director credit (after several hundred films). He told the tale of the 148 men who bravely interrupted Santa Anna's march into Texas as a means to give Sam Houston time to gather an army. Wonderful depictions of the main characters who decided to cross the line in the sand and defend their position to what they knew was certain death. Men such as Davey Crockett, Jim Bowie and the commander of the fortified Spanish mission, William Travis. This is one epic film that should be on everyone's 'have watched' list.

Edited by mehaul (Mon Oct 10 2016 12:01 PM)

#1147178 - Wed Oct 12 2016 12:55 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Ray Bradbury's Chrysalis"
John Klemantaski, Darren Kendrick, Larry Dirk, Danny Cameron, Elina Madison, Liesel Kop

That list of on screen participants in the project probably reflects the anonymity the film enjoys. It is the story (written in the 40s) of a world gone haywire militarily, environmentally, politically, morally, culturally ..., completely dystopian. Off in a tiny research facility protected from the radiation, three men work to develop plant life that will help allow humankind to survive. One of the men undergoes some radical changes and, well you'll not hear a spoiler from me on this one. There is a religious thread that runs through the tale. The acting is good, the presentation of what was recorded lacks points to compliment. The scenes are washed out and the visuals are high contrast dark shadows and overbright light. Intentional? They should have rethought that idea. But it's Bradbury, different than his "F 451" but just as thought provoking.

Edited by mehaul (Wed Oct 12 2016 01:00 PM)

Page 40 of 54 < 1 2 ... 38 39 40 41 42 ... 53 54 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong