Rules
Terms of Use

Page 45 of 57 < 1 2 ... 43 44 45 46 47 ... 56 57 >
Topic Options
#1164099 - Wed Apr 26 2017 09:27 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
And there are bits and pieces of Trump's world if not parts of the character of that man himself spread out among all the characters in the film.
This came out in '88, about the same time Trump began being a public figure of sorts.

Edited by mehaul (Wed Apr 26 2017 09:30 PM)

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#1164427 - Sun Apr 30 2017 09:08 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
"Easy Virtue" 1928

Very early silent Hitchcock, based on a Noel Coward play.

It's a real weeper - we begin with a scandalous divorce trial, where a woman's reputation is ruined. It looks like she had an affair, but we know she really didn't, even though we wouldn't blame her, she was so badly treated by her husband, the cad. She flees to the Riviera to live in obscurity and shame.

Young Englishman falls in love with her, and persuades her to marry him, knowing nothing of her past. She tries (not very hard) to tell him but he's in love and won't listen to anything.

Back they go to England, where his mother and sisters can't stand her, (she smokes!) and are constantly inviting the woman they had hoped he would marry over for dinner. Younger sister is just hilarious here.

The secret of course comes out. Her husband, who has been poisoned against her by this time by his mother and sisters, will not stand by her, so she grants him an easy divorce, and she ends up once again in front of the news cameras, which we can see are sucking away her soul and killing her!

Very satisfying time had by all. No indication that the director of this potboiler would go on to become the Hitchcock we all know and love, except some of the incidental humourous bits, like the younger sister.

I've got a four DVD set of early Hitchcocks here, only two or three of which I've even heard of, so will be having fun with this over the next few weeks.

#1164574 - Tue May 02 2017 08:51 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"The Return of the Pink Panther" 1975

Nope.

Not funny. I chuckled maybe twice, and a couple of the sight gags were good - when Clouseau, disguised as the debonair fellow in the red jacket, has half his mustache missing for the whole bit, for instance. The physical comedy bit around the desk in the Phantom's study was well done. Christopher Plummer is perfect for his part, and the chemistry and interplay between him and Catherine Schell works.

But that's about it. This is the only extended universe Pink Panther I've ever seen, for some reason; I've seen the first one a couple of times but the rest have managed to miss me - and can continue to do so.

#1164592 - Tue May 02 2017 03:58 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
sisterseagull Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Torquay, Devon UK
'Sausage Party'... Hilariously funny!

#1164686 - Wed May 03 2017 10:37 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte" 1964

Yes, scenery is being chewed left and right (can you imagine if Joan Crawford had played Marion, as originally planned? The histrionics would have been legendary) but this is still a genuinely creepy movie. Agnes Moorehead is so wonderful - she was such an amazing actress, it's too bad she's only remembered now as Endora on "Bewitched".

#1164690 - Wed May 03 2017 11:43 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
Snowman Offline
Prolific

Loc: London England UK            
Westworld.

I guess this one shows its age. Its a good idea but there is so little to it that I really didn't enjoy it much. Yul Brynner is fantastically one-dimensional though (and I mean that as a compliment).

#1164842 - Fri May 05 2017 08:29 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"The Handmaiden" 2016

Pretty strong stuff, this one, but really an amazing film. It's the plot of the novel "Fingersmith", moved from Victorian England to 1930s Korea. This is very much an adult film, but I have to highly recommend it.

#1164938 - Sat May 06 2017 09:54 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Moonlight" 2016

Well, haven't seen "La La Land" yet, so can't really say which one should have won the Oscar, but I'm OK with this winning. It's a damned good movie.

There was a bit, at the beginning of the third section, where I thought "No, I don't buy this" but as it went on it made more sense and came together better.

#1165104 - Tue May 09 2017 12:36 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"The Solid Gold Cadillac" 1956

Well this was way better than I expected it to be. I went because I never want to pass up a chance to watch Judy Holliday, but had very low expectations for the film. Ended up being quite a lot of fun, with several genuinely funny moments.

The story is pretty straightforward, you can guess what's going to happen, and yes, that's what happens. But it's a pleasant ride. Holliday is, as always, fantastic. I'm going to have to make a point of seeing everything she made - sadly, it's not that much.

#1165120 - Tue May 09 2017 07:56 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Under The Skin"
Scarlett Johansson

A film with no exposition! Scarlett has barely 12 lines of dialogue and there's hardly any other. The tale is told by visual installments mostly. Unusual but worth investment of time to figure out what's going on - and maybe not quite getting it all. I still have questions. However if you enjoy Scottish panoramas, find them here.

Edited by mehaul (Tue May 09 2017 07:58 AM)

#1165281 - Thu May 11 2017 12:55 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Serenity"

The TV sciFi series Firefly was ccancelled before there was any resolution. "Serenity" wraps up the loose ends quite nicely.

#1165648 - Tue May 16 2017 12:27 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Street protests, Fake headlines and news stories, lack of insurance, the fat cats earning millions to the common man's pennies a day, blood thirsty thugs trying to gain power. war correspondents forced to cover local polirics between visits to the war fronts...

Today's American situation? Nope, tis the story of the USA between the Spanish American War and WWI as related in the true tale spelled out in The music/dance production: "Newsies" The tale of how a revolt by the paper hawkers against Pulitzer and Hearst when those information Barons raised the price Newsies had to pay for their bundle of product. The revolt led to many changes to the USA's child labor laws.

Starring Christian Bale, Ann-Margret and Robert Duvall

Edited by mehaul (Tue May 16 2017 12:33 PM)

#1166514 - Wed May 24 2017 10:16 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Their Finest"2017

Very nice small film, set in England during the blitz, about making Ministry of Information propaganda films. In a way, it feels a little like a 1940s movie, just moderned up a bit. If you like a little comedy, a little romance, a little heartbreak, you'll enjoy this. And a dog.

#1166707 - Fri May 26 2017 10:12 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

I suppose this counts as a movie.... Just watched the documentary "OJ, Made in America"

I paid very little attention to the whole OJ thing when it was happening, and will confess I never really understood the acquittal, but put very little thought into it.

This puts the whole thing into perspective, with interviews with hundreds of people, tons of archival footage. We're three hours in before we even get to the murder.

I don't really understand Americans very well, but I feel I understand them a bit better after watching this. Highly recommended.

#1166799 - Sat May 27 2017 08:42 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"The Edge of seventeen" 2016

Coming of age film that's got awkward and angry down pat. Great performances, and a lot of honesty. Not every single moment rings true, but enough does to make it really worthwhile.

#1167051 - Tue May 30 2017 10:03 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Move Over Darling" 1963

James Garner and Doris Day in this remake of "My Favourite Wife" - woman is lost at sea years ago, declared dead so her husband can remarry, and then turns up in order for hijinks and complications to ensue.

I first saw this movie on TV when I was eleven or so, and thought it was very funny and interesting. Well, times have changed, and so have I, and my appetite for sex comedies with no sex is pretty slim these days. The entire premise of the movie disappears if you allow that adults can have difficult conversations if they must, and that they also have sex with people other than their spouses when they think they will never see their spouses again. Even, believe it or not, with people they are not married to.

#1167056 - Tue May 30 2017 10:49 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Calendar Girls" 2003

Essentially "The Full Monty" with women, a cute film of a Yorkshire Women's Institute doing a nude photo calendar. Nothing much to it, but it's pleasant, with a few real laughs.

#1167292 - Fri Jun 02 2017 11:48 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Nanny McPhee"
Emma Thompson, Colin Firth, Angela Landsbury

Mary Poppins without all that vocalnoise and injected cartoon characters.
Unruly clan of cids need special supervision. Special government Nanny (Victorian g'ment) shows up to save the day by teaching five things kids should learn to be responsinle citizens. As each lesson is learned one of the disfiguring aspects of N. McPhee disappear from her face(Warts, ugly teeth, etc) She makes magic happen by banging her cane to the ground. A simple venture fpor a young family to share together if you like the politics of it. And, it6's got Landsbury in it fer cripes sake.

"Nanny McPhee Returns" ("Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang")
Emma Thompson, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Rhys Ifans, Dame Maggie Smith

A sequel with the time frame updated to the trying times in WW II Britain. The Nanny and her cane return (hence the 'Big Bang' title).Five more lessons though different family citizenship lessons. Same slow reveal of Thompson's pretty face. I failed to recognize Maggie Gyllenhaal at firstthe ,ake uppers were so good.

Edited by mehaul (Fri Jun 02 2017 11:51 AM)

#1167401 - Sat Jun 03 2017 03:29 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"RED"
"RED 2"

- Bruce Willis, Helen Mirren, John Malkovich, Mary-Louise Parker

RED is an acronym for Retired Extremely Dangerous.
Both are fun espionage flicks with a blending of I Spy, The Man From UNCLE, Mission Impossible (TV series). Think of how life might be for Bond, James Bond when he reaches retirement age along with all his former associates.

Edited by mehaul (Sun Jun 04 2017 08:05 PM)

#1167467 - Sun Jun 04 2017 08:51 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Something the Lord Made" 2004

As a movie, it's fine - good performances from Mos Def and Alan Rickman. As a story that everyone should know, it's wonderful.

The story of Vivien Thomas and Alfred Blalock, who pioneered heart surgery in the 1960s in the segregated South. Thomas was a black man who never went to college. When the first surgery on a "blue baby" was done, Thomas was not allowed to touch the patient - he developed the surgical techniques working on dogs - but stood on a chair behind Blalock to talk him through the process. It's a remarkable story about a couple of remarkable men.

#1167761 - Thu Jun 08 2017 08:27 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Phffft" 1954

So this is how you do a mid century sex comedy. Nothing actually more salacious happens in this one than in the Doris Day film from last week, but this one doesn't feel like there is no sex.

Jack Lemmon and Judy Holliday make the difference. She really is always the best thing in any movie she's in, and can elevate even a fairly tired premise like this "couple gets divorced, decides they really want to be together" one. It's pretty tame and mannered by the standards of modern comedy, but worth seeing for great performances, including Kim Novak channeling Marilyn Monroe.

#1167860 - Sat Jun 10 2017 04:27 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Luv" 1967

Doesn't really count, I guess, as I only got halfway through. It came on the same disc as "Phffft". Totally incoherent mess of what I suppose is supposed to be a hip farce with Lemmon, Peter Falk and Elaine May. There's the odd cute sight gag, but that's not enough to spend 90 minutes of my life on, when none of the rest of it makes any sense.

Gotta say, though, I've got a good eye. About a third of the way in, an irate motorist punches Jack Lemmon in the nose. "Hey", I said to myself, "That's Harrison Ford!" and so it was. Onscreen for maybe twenty seconds, but there's just something about the line of that chin.

#1168004 - Mon Jun 12 2017 10:30 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"My Cousin Rachel" 2017

Very nice adaptation of the Daphne du Maurier book from way back in the, what, 1940s? Is Rachel a scheming villain or an innocent victim? It's an old fashioned story told in a fairly old fashioned way so this is not going to break any box office records, but it's well done, so we find ourselves going "Oh, no.....oh, wait.....oh, no....or....."

#1168401 - Mon Jun 19 2017 07:07 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Back To The Future - The Complete Adventures"

9 Discs plus a 50 page pamphlet
One disc for each of the trilogy movies
2 discs of commemorative reflections at the 25 year anniversary
4 discs covering the two seasons worth of the animated show

It took some time to go through all this material. I doubt many would have a negative comment on the films. Great acting, camera wok, set design, costumes, lighting, non-digital special effects, excellent plots and of course, hit music from Huey Lewis and the News (2 sings written especially for the films: "The Power of Love" (a commercial success) and "Back In Time" (Never released on itsown or as an album tracvk - it did have a limited success as a video and was used as the theme music for the animated series)

I really enjoyed the animated series. Each episode is a mix of live action (Doc Brown science lessons and introductions). Bob Gale, the creator of the idea to go back in time to meet your parents in high school and developed with Director Bob emekis, insisted that the show teach science to the viewersin addition to the episode's story line. They found a real gem to act as the Doc's lab assistant to perform simple experiments, Bill Nye! The series ran from 1991 to 1992 and in 1993, Bill Nye, The Science Guy Series came to be. Also Pixar got a big boost in personnel aid their future by getting most of the animators from BttF and they were some of the first computer literate animators (according to them in interviews).

If you have 2 hours a day for a week to invest, this "Back To The Future" set will certainly be found to entertain you.

"Tell me Doctor, where are we going to? Is this the 50s or 1999? All I know is I wanna get BACK IN TIME."
"

Edited by mehaul (Mon Jun 19 2017 08:31 AM)

#1168407 - Mon Jun 19 2017 08:22 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

I wouldn't mind seeing the films again, but I don't think I could sit through all the rest.

Page 45 of 57 < 1 2 ... 43 44 45 46 47 ... 56 57 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong