Rules
Terms of Use

Page 52 of 54 < 1 2 ... 50 51 52 53 54 >
Topic Options
#1216940 - Fri Jan 11 2019 07:43 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I might just do that, it's a good story.

"Damsel" 2018

For a movie with so much death and loneliness and despair, this is pretty funny. I can't imagine it's to everyone's taste, but when Preacher Henry whispers into the horse's ear "I don't want to wear the dynamite", I think it's probably my favourite scene in a movie this year.

#1217010 - Sat Jan 12 2019 10:49 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Hereditary" 2018

Well, that was intense.

I can't handle gory horror, but this kind of thing I can, though it scared the socks off me. Toni Colette deserves an Oscar for this one, but I doubt if she'll get it - it's a little too weird and disturbing for the Academy.

Edited by agony (Tue Jan 15 2019 08:54 AM)

#1217145 - Mon Jan 14 2019 10:32 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
Severyn Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
Toni Collette is the most under-rated actress. She is amazing. You should watch her in "Wanderlust" on Netflix. Such a good performance.

#1217173 - Tue Jan 15 2019 08:56 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

I've liked her since "Muriel's Wedding".

#1217582 - Sat Jan 19 2019 10:27 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Valdez Is Coming" 1971

The trouble with watching a movie based on a book you like (in this case, one of Elmore Leonard's early westerns) is that you fill in for yourself the parts the movie doesn't show you. So you can have a good time watching a movie that isn't actually very good.

This movie does a pretty good job of showing why Valdez does what he does, but doesn't bother to really explain the actions of the woman or the segundo, so would probably get a WTF? reaction from most viewers.

I enjoyed myself though - I always like Burt Lancaster in a western, and Richard Jordan plays the slimy character to perfection.

#1217642 - Sun Jan 20 2019 09:23 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"A Star is Born" (1954)

How many times have I seen this? And it still makes me cry - when he says "I just wanted to look at you again", just before he goes into the water..... dammit.

I haven't seen the most recent version - I hear it's good and I probably will at some point, but man, for me it will always be Judy Garland and James Mason. This is one of my top ten lifetime movies.

#1218034 - Sun Jan 27 2019 10:06 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Hateful eight" 2015

I like a Tarantino film, and I like a rough western, so I liked this. Not to everyone's taste though - very violent, of course, and not one really admirable or likeable character.

One thing I really liked was that there's a lot of lying in this movie, and even when it's all over, we don't really know if some things were true or were lies.

#1218193 - Wed Jan 30 2019 11:04 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"All That Jazz" 1979

I've always loved this movie. Haven't seen it for many years, but unlike a lot of other things I really loved thirty years ago, it still holds up. This is what a musical is supposed to look like.

#1218604 - Sun Feb 03 2019 06:57 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot" 2018

One of the best alcoholism recovery movies I've seen, but unfortunately that isn't saying much - Hollywood just can't seem to get a good handle on 12 step programs. A few good bits, and the cartoons really are funny. Not quite sure why all the disjointed timelines in the first half or so, though - I don't insist that my movies tell a linear story, but I like there to be a reason why not.

#1218806 - Wed Feb 06 2019 10:03 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"They Shall Not Grow Old" 2018

Just amazing WW I documentary.

Purist historians, film makers, and documentarians might have some quibbles with some choices he makes, that make this more accessible to modern audiences. Some parts have had colour and ambient sound added, for instance. To my mind, it works.

All the footage is actual footage, with some contemporary illustrations in some places. All the audio commentary is the voices of actual soldiers, recorded some years later. Peter Jackson gives a short introduction, and there is a post-credit bit showing techniques used to clean up the film footage, etc, and why certain choices were made, but all the rest is archival material.

It's incredibly moving, and quite devastating. See it if you get the chance, but be warned - actual footage of an actual war can be terrible to see. Yes, there are dead bodies.

#1218939 - Thu Feb 07 2019 11:00 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Coming Home" 1978

Haven't seen this one since it came out, was wondering how well it had aged. Pretty darn well, really.

I remember, when I first saw it, I was a kid, maybe twenty, and I didn't have any sympathy for Bruce Dern's character. Just thought he was a militaristic, angry jerk.

And now I see that the movie is about the two men, really. And yeah, maybe the enemy is the war.

This was pretty powerful, coming on the heels of what I watched last night.

#1219224 - Sun Feb 10 2019 01:38 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Fingersmith" 2005

I think I can put this two part BBC miniseries in here - it's essentially a long movie made of the book.

A wonderful job, with the most amazing colour palette. "The Handmaiden" of a couple of years ago is the same story, and I really can't say which is a better version, best you just watch them both. My only quibble was that the DVD I had was not captioned. The combination of the accents and my hearing loss was not a great one.

#1219229 - Sun Feb 10 2019 09:30 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Juliet Naked" 2018

Nice. Nothing earthshattering, won't go down as an all time classic, but a nice, reasonably funny, reasonably insightful, sorta kinda rom-com for grownups.

#1219476 - Wed Feb 13 2019 11:53 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
Severyn Offline
Prolific

"Glass" 2019

Pretty good film if you have followed the M. Night Shyamalan series which includes "Unbreakable" and "Split".

You would probably have to either watch the previous two or read the synopsis to watch this one. Watching the first two I recommend, as both are good stand-alone films. When you watch this one you come to realize they are all connected, which makes it even more interesting.

James McAvoy is an amazing actor. I have followed him since I first saw him in "Atonement" and he has since impressed me so much with his range, it is absolutely amazing. I don't want to give anything away but how he can change his demeanor and voices in his various films, being a guy with a thick accent is worthy of some accolade or award.Bruce Willis and the talented Samuel L. Jackson round out the film.

I'd rate this film 8/10

Edited by Severyn (Wed Feb 13 2019 11:54 AM)

#1220032 - Mon Feb 18 2019 09:44 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
Severyn Offline
Prolific

"The Lego Movie: The second part" (2019)

Funny family movie with my son. Had me laughing. Worth a lighthearted watch.

#1220705 - Sun Feb 24 2019 08:29 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"dial M for Murder"

No matter how many times I watch this one, I love it.

#1221818 - Wed Mar 06 2019 10:33 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"The Little Foxes" 1941

Can't beat it. Bette Davis at her best, but the rest of the cast holds their own.

I'm always a fan of slimy characters, and Dan Duryea does not disappoint as nasty nephew Leo.

#1221917 - Thu Mar 07 2019 08:04 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Professor Marston and the Wonder Women" 2017

Fictionalized (to one extent or another, depending on who's telling) life of Marston and his wives, the creators of Wonder Woman. It's not bad, but where I think its real value lies in the way members of the poly and kink communities will be pleased to see themselves in a mainstream movie.

#1222191 - Sun Mar 10 2019 08:14 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Short Term 12" 2013

Brie Larson as a staff member in a group home for troubled kids. Simply amazing, what a good movie.

#1222359 - Tue Mar 12 2019 09:24 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"marshall" 2017

Pretty good courtroom drama about an early case in Thurgood Marshall's career, when he was working for the NAACP. Chadwick Bosman does a good job of portraying the whip smart, arrogant man, which Marshall would have had to be. Basically a highly competent movie, with a couple of very good moments.

Trayvon Martin's real life parents have cameos at the end, as the parents of an accused boy.

#1222472 - Wed Mar 13 2019 09:42 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Tea with the Dames" 2018

Maggie Smith. Judi Dench. Joan Plowright. Eileen Atkins.

If those names really mean something to you, you'll like this one, I think. The four of them just talking, as close to letting their back hair down as such old pros can manage to do, when they know that there are cameras running. They talk about the theatre, they talk about getting old, they talk about each other. Lots of archival footage, too. Really quite wonderful.

#1226654 - Fri Apr 12 2019 09:22 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Summer of Sam" 1999

Wow. Wow, wow, wow.

How is it that Spike Lee just won his first Oscar this year, and it wasn't even for Best Director?

#1226856 - Sun Apr 14 2019 02:43 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Gosford Park" 2002

Insightful examination of class, set against a country house murder mystery.

I'll confess I would have enjoyed this a lot more if it had had captions - the combination of my hearing loss, the accents, and Altman's usual overlapping dialogue meant that I missed a lot. Still, it's a very good movie.

#1229469 - Mon Apr 29 2019 08:54 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Lizzie" 2018

Retelling of the Lizzie Borden murder case, with a speculative but plausible explanation of whodunnit. I found some of the comments on imdb amusing; their cries of "unlikely!" and "injecting a modern sensibility!" seem to be working from the assumption that there were no lesbians in the 1800s. Uh, hate to break it to you, guys, but....

There were quite a few things I really liked about this. Chloe Sevigny plays Lizzie as abrupt, awkward and unlikable, which I think it exactly the right take for this character. A woman with any brains would have done whatever she could to get married and away from that father, as while a wife did not have a lot of rights at the time, she would have more than an unmarried daughter - but the Lizzie we meet is not someone who would have had that opportunity.

Some of the commenters over at imdb also seemed to see the father as an unrealistic over the top monster, but, again, seem to be unaware of some of the historical perspective. Servant girls being regularly raped by the man of the house were far from rare, for instance - the concept that "coercion due to power imbalance equates to lack of consent" really IS a modern sensibility, and he wouldn't have been likely to trouble himself over that. "The girl didn't run screaming, so she consented" is the way he would have looked at it. And as for the pigeons, well, yeah, that was bad, but you give a man almost unlimited power, he's going to behave badly with it, that's just the way people are. I found him realistic.

All in all, pretty good. Some people might have trouble with the pacing - it's pretty slow, and the continuity jumps might be seen as unnecessary. But it's beautifully shot, well acted, and pushes a few emotional buttons.

#1231696 - Thu May 09 2019 03:17 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
gracious1 Offline
Prolific

Loc: New York USA
"The Passion of the Christ" (the Mel Gibson movie).
Um.... I am going to have to agree with the late Christopher Hitchens' assessment of this movie. It was too gruesome and exploitative for me to sit through it when it first came out, and even now I was fast-forwarding through much of it. But if you want to know what I think, find a video of Hitchens discussing the film.

Edited by gracious1 (Thu May 09 2019 03:20 AM)

Page 52 of 54 < 1 2 ... 50 51 52 53 54 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong