Rules
Terms of Use

Page 54 of 55 < 1 2 ... 52 53 54 55 >
Topic Options
#1237137 - Mon Jul 08 2019 04:39 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted By: agony
That's right, your work is connected to the field, isn't it? Yeah, if you know something about the way anything is really done, it's hard to watch it on film, because they never get it right.

I can watch something like that if it's REALLY far from the truth, but this and the TV show Quantico were just off that it bothered me.

Editor for Television Category

#1238021 - Fri Jul 19 2019 10:01 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
"Get Shorty" 1995

You know, I think a case could be made that this was John Travolta's best performance. He is so perfect in this part. Chili Palmer is a character who has enormous confidence, and no arrogance - not that easy to pull off, but Travolta nails it. This movie is so much fun.

#1238054 - Sat Jul 20 2019 09:15 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Midsommar" 2019

Yikes. This is an amazing film, with really stunning production design. It's also a painfully accurate depiction of a relationship on the rocks. I'd recommend it wholeheartedly, except that it is definitely not for the faint of heart. It's not particularly gory for a horror movie, which I guess is what it is, but boy are there some creepy bits. If you thought "Deliverance" showed that there can be some strange folks back there in the woods, wait 'til you see how they do it in Sweden!

#1238351 - Thu Jul 25 2019 11:52 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Portrait in Black" 1960

Classic melodrama, with all the stops pulled out. But it works!

Murder, adultery, blackmail, all in really nice outfits. I had a grand old time watching, and the ending actually did surprise. I'd forgotten what a good-looking man Anthony Quinn was. Ray Walston and Anna May Wong appear to be having a great time, lurking in corners.

#1238747 - Tue Jul 30 2019 09:16 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
joecali Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Cali Colombia            
Utoya: July 22(2018)

I don´t know nothing about this terrorist attack before in a island in Denmark. The movie has frenzy and very dramatic in the first half, I feel inside of the drama.
I like acting and as the camera stays with Kaja, an interesting movie to watch.

#1238749 - Tue Jul 30 2019 09:21 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
joecali Offline
Forum Adept

Princess Exchange(L'ÉCHANGE DES PRINCESSES-2017)

French movie that tells the story of an exchange to keep the peace between France and Spain, how princesses are tokens of exchange and how they try to adapt to their new world. I like this kind of historical movie and the monarchy generates a very strange fascination for me. I like how the story develops especially the roles of the princesses.

#1238792 - Tue Jul 30 2019 06:51 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"The Favourite" 2018

This is also a historical movie, and I think a very good one - a story of intrigue and jostling for position in the court of Queen Anne.

IF you're expecting a Merchant/Ivory type of period drama, well, this isn't quite that. There's a lot of sex, there's a lot of pretty darn frank language, and there are some bizarre entertainments at court. The actual rivalry between the two favourites is fairly historically accurate, I'm not sure about some of the other stuff. Very entertaining, in any case, and the performances are outstanding.

#1238818 - Wed Jul 31 2019 12:08 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
joecali Offline
Forum Adept

"The Favourite" 2018

This is also a historical movie, and I think a very good one - a story of intrigue and jostling for position in the court of Queen Anne.

IF you're expecting a Merchant/Ivory type of period drama, well, this isn't quite that. There's a lot of sex, there's a lot of pretty darn frank language, and there are some bizarre entertainments at court. The actual rivalry between the two favourites is fairly historically accurate, I'm not sure about some of the other stuff. Very entertaining, in any case, and the performances are outstanding.

Amazing movie. Great photography, the three actress was amaizing, the trio deserve the Oscar's nomination, I liked more the Emma Stone character. The tricks and decieve between Emma and Rachael was very intense. It was my favorite over the winner but....don't win the oscar to best movie

#1238916 - Wed Jul 31 2019 08:37 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Sorry to Bother You" 2018

If absurdist black comedy social commentary is something you like, this one hits hard. It's not a style I'm crazy about, but I'd say it's the right way to tell this story.

#1239218 - Sat Aug 03 2019 08:00 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Charade" 1963

Such good fun, one of those movies you can watch over and over again, even when you know all the plot twists.

#1239398 - Mon Aug 05 2019 04:27 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Lego Movie 2 - I really liked it and thought it was better than the first one. Downside: my son has been listening to the Not Evil song nonstop the past month.

Editor for Television Category

#1239531 - Wed Aug 07 2019 09:45 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ireland
"Tootsie"

Just as fabulous as it was when it was made. Hoffman is of course utterly superb, but the supporting cast is equally so. (Bill Murray has about ten lines and he almost steals the show with each one.)

#1239532 - Wed Aug 07 2019 09:47 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
Chavs Offline
Prolific

"The Godfather Part II" 1972 As is this one.

If you forced me to rank them, I'd say Part I is a better story and Part II is more wonderful to look at. But I'd prefer not to rank them, they are both amazing.

I wanted more so started to watch Part III. Got about twenty minutes in - the writing is just not there.

Same here! Sorry I started it as the other two were perfection.

#1239585 - Thu Aug 08 2019 12:01 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
joecali Offline
Forum Adept

Kick a.ss II(2013)

Be a hero or change to a normal life, revenge, teen life, new friends. I liked its not the best in the heroe movies but it's good to see and enjoy. The watchman are come back...

Pulp fiction(1994)
Forrest it's a great movie but Pulp fiction and Shawshank redemption this year was a lot better to win the Oscar.
Mia, Vincent, Bruce Willis and Samuel Jackson wow...a great history with a no lineal narrative, with a very memorable scenes and a very good secuences. Thanks Quentin for this jewel

Edited by joecali (Thu Aug 08 2019 12:01 AM)

#1239646 - Thu Aug 08 2019 09:08 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood" 2019

Nope. I'd heard reviews, and it's Tarantino, so I expected the over the top violence, I expected the attitudes toward women. And that honestly didn't bother me too much, except for at the very end the violence did get almost cartoonish in its intensity.

No, what I couldn't get over was that there really wasn't much of anything else here. Decent performances from our two leads, but nothing much from anyone else. Not enough style, not enough humour, not enough interesting characters or interesting conversations. Pacing all over the place, and no plot.

Honestly, the "show within a show", the pilot that DiCaprio was shooting - I was thinking "I'd much rather be watching THAT than this mess."

#1239843 - Sat Aug 10 2019 09:23 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Hannah and her Sisters" 1986

This one just doesn't ring very true to me - I just can't believe any of these people actually care about each other. The Wonder Bread gag is great, though.....

#1240150 - Wed Aug 14 2019 08:07 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"First Wives Club" 1996

Wow, lot of familiar faces in this one. A fun revenge fantasy.

#1240437 - Sun Aug 18 2019 03:01 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Just Between Friends" 1986

Astonished to find that this was not a movie of the week, but instead got a theatrical release. Ted Danson, married to Mary Tyler Moore, is having an affair with Christine Lahti. Moore and Lahti strike up a friendship, and when Lahti discovers that this very nice new friend of hers is the wife of the man she's sleeping with, she calls it off. Danson dies in a car accident, Lahti and Moore become closer friends - then, at the same time, Moore finds out about the affair, and Lahti finds out she's pregnant. Drama, tears, fights, and eventually they decide their friendship has value anyway and figure out a way to live with all of it.

And it would actually be a better-than-average melodrama - good cast, good performances, especially from Lahti - except whoever wrote this has never seen actual human beings interacting in the wild, clearly.

This deep friendship that is the keystone to the whole movie? They'd had dinner together once, known each other something like two days before the "Oh, no, you're my lover's wife" reveal. And the movie is full of this kind of thing. Moore finds out about the affair while clearing out her husband's office after his death - that would be a good plot device. Except her husband's co-worker knew about the affair, and cares deeply about Moore - in real life, he'd have gone through the office and tossed any affair evidence before letting her in there. Or, Lahti's character is a TV reporter who gets her first big chance as an anchorwoman just as she finds she's pregnant - and not a word, not one word, about how her bosses dealt with this brand new inexperienced unmarried anchorwoman suddenly turning up pregnant - in 1986, remember.

So, it's a mess.

#1240491 - Sun Aug 18 2019 10:02 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Capote" 2005

And after that silly mess, this piece of subtle and complex art. Philip Seymour Hoffman has never given a bad performance, and deserves his Oscar for this one.

#1240549 - Mon Aug 19 2019 08:03 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Good Boys" 2019

Well, it's no "Stand By Me" but it's not bad. Pretty funny - yes, also pretty raunchy - with an underlying sweetness. Plot is stupid, but you don't go to this kind of movie for the plot.

#1240861 - Fri Aug 23 2019 07:21 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Fahrenheit 11/9 by Michael Moore

Check the title: 11/9 not 9/11

This starts with trying to explain the election of Trump but that turns out to be too difficult to explain so we end up in Flint, Michigan, discussing water and emergencies, which is actually the most interesting part of the film, although I admit to falling asleep for some of the other bits, and next thing I know Hitler.

Would have liked to spend more time with the 99 year old lawyer who is the last surviving member of the Nuremberg prosecution team.

All in all, I wasted my time on this film.

Moore has made some great films (Roger and Me, for example) but this one missed, maybe trying to gather too many threads, or not enough, seemed an imitation of Adam Curtis (documentary maker) but Adam Curtis does it a lot better.

#1241621 - Sat Aug 31 2019 08:36 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Manhunter" 1986

I'm going to have to read the book "Red Dragon" again - lots of the dialogue in this movie is word for word the same as in "Red Dragon" from 2002, so I'd guess it's right out of the book.

It's impossible not to do a "compare and contrast" with the later film, here. I'd have to say that they are both really good. "Manhunter" has a stronger focus on the toll this work takes on the profilers, who have to put themselves in the mindset of the murderers. "Red Dragon" gives us a better look at how tortured Dolarhyde is - or, rather, it shows us why he's so tortured - Tom Noonan, in "Manhunter" really shows his pain in a heartbreaking way.

#1242148 - Fri Sep 06 2019 05:29 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Brittney Runs a Marathon" 2019

Quite enjoyable small movie about change, and how hard it can be. Laughed out loud half a dozen times, which is not something I usually do in the movies.

#1242514 - Wed Sep 11 2019 10:20 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Ready or Not" 2019

Grace has always wanted to be part of a family, and now she's marrying into one.....

I don't watch a lot of standard horror movies, so I don't know how this one compares - to me it had a few scary moments, and a fair amount of tension. Also some really quite good dark humour, though I wouldn't class this as comic horror. All in all not bad but not outstanding.

#1242565 - Thu Sep 12 2019 06:22 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"The Addams Family Values" 1993

Well, yeah, it's stupid. But it's fun.

And that baby is adorable.

Page 54 of 55 < 1 2 ... 52 53 54 55 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong