Rules
Terms of Use

Page 55 of 55 < 1 2 ... 53 54 55
Topic Options
#1244384 - Tue Oct 01 2019 09:43 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
"Dolores Claiborne" 1995

Pretty good, except for some unlikely histrionics at the end at the hearing. It's a heavily flashbacked story, and they handled that well - it never got confusing.

#1244532 - Thu Oct 03 2019 08:45 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Come Back to the 5 and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean" 1982

Pretty stagey, and really everybody's secrets were not worth all the melodrama, but the performances were great.

And I have to ask, again - are southerners really as crazy as they are portrayed in movies? Yeah, it's Texas, but it's the part of Texas that is really the South.

#1245781 - Mon Oct 14 2019 07:21 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"A Wedding" 1978

Some more Altman, and the perfect subject matter for his style. Like a real wedding, you're not entirely sure who everybody is, and you probably miss some of what is going on. Mac and Tulip's little story just broke my heart - we forget how really great Carol Burnett is.

#1246319 - Sat Oct 19 2019 09:14 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Uncle Buck" 1989

if you've rewatched any John Hughes movies lately, you'll have noticed that sometimes they haven't aged well. This is one that still, for the most part, holds up. Even the "threatening the boyfriend" bits seem less creepy when it's an uncle rather than a dad, I dunno. Macauley Culkin is genuinely cute.

Edited by agony (Sat Oct 19 2019 09:14 PM)

#1246581 - Mon Oct 21 2019 05:29 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
"The Greatest Showman"

My daughter made me watch it.

It was by far one of the best movies I've seen in a while. It's loosely based on PT Barnum's life and has some great music that my daughter and I sing in the car together.

Editor for Television Category

#1247240 - Sat Oct 26 2019 09:00 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"The Sand Pebbles" 1966

Great performances from Steve McQueen and Richard Crenna. It's really a beautiful production, especially the water scenes. I found the story a little bit chaotic and choppy - pretty hard to follow exactly what is happening - but emotionally it rang true, even if you couldn't always figure out what was going on.

This movie was a big deal at the time, due to its resonance with what was happening in Vietnam. It's been pretty much forgotten since, though, I think - you never hear anyone mention it. Definitely worth seeing.

#1247269 - Sun Oct 27 2019 02:08 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ireland
"Sully" 2016

Tom Hanks stars as Sully, the pilot who landed a plane full of passengers on the Hudson River ten years ago. Remember that? I only watched the film out of desperation, nothing on tv! wasn't expecting much from it as I followed the story in live time back then. But I didn't know about the subsequent investigation by the air line into what happened and actually that was quite gripping in its own way. Good movie, perfect for a calm evening in front of the TV when you want to watch something a little serious but not too demanding. Tom Hanks of course excellent as Sully. Clint Eastwood directing so it's solid and simple rather than complex. It didn't rock my world or anything but it's watchworthy.

#1247271 - Sun Oct 27 2019 06:59 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

From what I understand there was not much factually correct about the "investigation" part of the movie.

#1248131 - Sat Nov 02 2019 01:39 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Long Shot" 2019

Very sweet and funny rom-com. And, because it's Seth Rogen, some of it's in pretty bad taste. Charlize Theron is running for president, and falls for Rogen, her speechwriter and a radical journalist.

Even though the "Fox and Friends" parodies are hilarious, and a stand-in for Rupert Murdoch is the bad guy, the movie manages, I think, to keep the politics from being too alienating. Right wing extremism is not treated gently, but people with conservative values come out OK.

Got a kick out of the Canadian Prime Minister, too.

#1248195 - Sun Nov 03 2019 06:02 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: agony
From what I understand there was not much factually correct about the "investigation" part of the movie.

Oh really? Noted! (But then...what was the point of the movie at all? I think I give up on Clint Eastwood. )

#1248199 - Sun Nov 03 2019 07:38 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: agony
"Long Shot" 2019

Very sweet and funny rom-com. And, because it's Seth Rogen, some of it's in pretty bad taste. Charlize Theron is running for president, and falls for Rogen, her speechwriter and a radical journalist.

Even though the "Fox and Friends" parodies are hilarious, and a stand-in for Rupert Murdoch is the bad guy, the movie manages, I think, to keep the politics from being too alienating. Right wing extremism is not treated gently, but people with conservative values come out OK.

Got a kick out of the Canadian Prime Minister, too.

That reminds me..."The Loudest Voice" (tv series from Showtime)

Not a movie, and the antithesis of a romcom! But Fox News, Rupert Murdoch, and the story behind the Roger Ailes scandal. And why we got Trump. Starring Russell Crowe. Excellent and mustwatch. 20 years ago this would have been a cinema hit and probably oscar nominated, but tv is the new theatre of excellence.

#1248977 - Fri Nov 08 2019 07:31 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

I'll keep an eye out for it - my library doesn't have the show yet, just the book it was based on. I don't think I can stand spending enough time with these people to read it, though.

#1248978 - Fri Nov 08 2019 07:37 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"JoJo Rabbit" 2019

Set in Berlin in the final months of WWII. JoJo is ten years old, and like all kids, immersed in the culture he's been brought up in - in other words, he's a proper little Nazi.

This started out a little too farcical for my taste, and I was a little worried about what I was in for. It settles down a bit soon, though, or maybe I just got used to the tone. Fantastic performances from everyone involved, especially those kids. It's not a perfect movie but it's a pretty darn good one.

Page 55 of 55 < 1 2 ... 53 54 55

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong