Rules
Terms of Use

Page 56 of 57 < 1 2 ... 54 55 56 57 >
Topic Options
#1254450 - Wed Jan 01 2020 09:03 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
"The King of Comedy" 1982

When "Joker" came out earlier this year, there was a lot of talk comparing it to both "Taxi Driver" and this. I'd never seen this one, so figured I'd check it out as most critics I pay attention to were saying these films are what "Joker" would have been if it was good.

Well, I've still not seen "Joker", but I'm very glad it led me to this, a painfully good dark comedy. Watching de Niro's character's humiliation, and his reaction to it, honestly made my stomach hurt. His performance, Sandra Bernhard's, and, astonishingly enough, Jerry Lewis's, are all perfectly on point. I am so glad I saw this.

#1254668 - Sun Jan 05 2020 10:52 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"The Honeymoon Killers" 1970

Well.

This is really quite something - it has the feel almost of a John Waters film, unattractive people doing unpleasant things, though it's more coherent. Unstable, lonely, and desperate Martha falls in love with slimy Ray, and is not bothered by the fact that he makes his living as a con man duping lonely women for their money; they progress from theft to murder. Unsettling, ugly, and very believable.

#1256149 - Tue Jan 21 2020 05:19 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Parasite" 2019

It's a good as everyone has been telling you it is, so if it's still available where you are, go see it. Yes, it's a Korean film with subtitles, but it's not particularly dense or difficult - even if you've never watched a foreign film before you'll have no trouble following and understanding everything that is going on.

Starts out almost a comedy, but things get pretty intense later on. Besides just a very interesting plot with some actual surprises, we're also talking about class, and we're talking about wealth.

#1257759 - Fri Feb 07 2020 07:14 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Gun Crazy" 1949

Better than average B movie take on the Bonnie and Clyde story. Really beautifully shot, and it turns out the screenplay was written by Dalton Trumbo. We never really stop liking our bad guys, though the woman is a vicious piece of work. They're so obviously crazy about each other.

#1257789 - Sat Feb 08 2020 02:28 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
1nn1 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia
"1917". The fact you only saw it lierally from the two protagonist's view. The fact you barely saw above the trenches for what almost a real-time movie duration was brilliant. A technical masterpiece.

"The Commons" not a movie but an Australian 8 part series seen here on Netflix streaming service. The story of the haves and the haves not in a dystopic post-climate change crisis Australia. Highly recommended.

#1257814 - Sat Feb 08 2020 07:26 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
DireWolf74 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Illinois USA
Originally Posted By: agony
"Gun Crazy" 1949

Better than average B movie take on the Bonnie and Clyde story. Really beautifully shot, and it turns out the screenplay was written by Dalton Trumbo. We never really stop liking our bad guys, though the woman is a vicious piece of work. They're so obviously crazy about each other.

I've seen that one before, it's better than most.

Fun?

I guess you could call it that. You're right about the female protagonist. She's a piece of work and it's refreshing to see a female part written and played with a "no apologies" approach.

It is beautiful to watch, the black and white works so good in these femme fatale and film noir movies.

Knew that about Trumbo but forgot about it at the same time. They showed the film on TCM during a showing of other Trumbo and Blacklisted writer's films.

Ever seen the remake with Drew Barrymore?

It's not as good but not bad for the time it was released in the 90s.

Edited by DireWolf74 (Sat Feb 08 2020 07:29 AM)

#1257826 - Sat Feb 08 2020 09:57 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

The bit near the end where she's all "Oh, we'll just take the baby with us to use as a shield" and he doesn't bat an eye, just takes the baby away from her. Great.

#1257827 - Sat Feb 08 2020 11:32 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
DireWolf74 Offline
Mainstay

I know, I love that she is the deranged one of the couple. He's nuts but still with it enough to care.

#1258316 - Fri Feb 14 2020 10:42 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"A Perfect Murder" 1998

Kinda sorta remake of "Dial M for Murder" - doesn't really follow the plot too closely but they do bring in the bit with the key. Not quite as tightly plotted as the original, but a bit more emotionally realistic. Gwyneth Paltrow does a nice Grace Kelly.

#1258550 - Mon Feb 17 2020 08:14 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Witness" 1985

Never seen this before, it's pretty good. Very dark photography, though - half the time you can't see what's happening.

I seem to be having a Viggo Mortensen week - he was the con man artist in "A Perfect Murder" and here he has a bit part as a very very very young Amish farmer.

#1258922 - Sat Feb 22 2020 06:52 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" 1954

This is one of those movies that you have to take in context. Looked at with a modern eye toward consent, and toxic gender norms, it's appalling.

But looked at in context of the time it came out, and the genre it belongs to, where no one is ever expected to behave like an actual person, well, it's still one of the most foolish plots you're likely to see. But the choreography is so amazing, the dancing is so great, it's just so darn charming, that I'm willing to forgive all that.

#1259364 - Sat Feb 29 2020 09:19 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"The Naked Kiss" 1964

This is a pretty terrible movie, in the "I've never seen a human being behave that way in my life" sense. The performances are, one and all, among the worst I've ever seen.

Worth seeing for the depiction of a cathouse where nobody ever goes upstairs, the girls just walk around with big trays attached to their bodies selling "bon bons".

#1259990 - Fri Mar 06 2020 11:20 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia
"The Godfather Part Two" 1974 Dang, this movie is good.

"The Godfather Part II" 1972 As is this one.

If you forced me to rank them, I'd say Part I is a better story and Part II is more wonderful to look at. But I'd prefer not to rank them, they are both amazing.

I wanted more so started to watch Part III. Got about twenty minutes in - the writing is just not there.

There's a reason imdB rates these as #2 and #3 by their users. I still think the current #1 is where it is for a reason...The Shawshank Redemption.

#1260284 - Tue Mar 10 2020 04:31 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
Llynfi Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Maesteg Wales
American Graffiti, here in Britain we believe it's a depiction of American teenage life from the late fifties to pre British invasion. Big rolls for Ronnie Howard, Richard Dreyfuss, and a very young Harrison Ford. Here in Britain there's a big fifties scene so the music is great and it's a good story line. It's held in great assteem by those into the fifties life style where as Grease is thought of as okay at best.

"There's hairs on this and hairs on that and hairs on my dog Tiny"

#1260285 - Tue Mar 10 2020 05:07 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
DireWolf74 Offline
Mainstay

"Witness" 1985

Never seen this before, it's pretty good. Very dark photography, though - half the time you can't see what's happening.

I seem to be having a Viggo Mortensen week - he was the con man artist in "A Perfect Murder" and here he has a bit part as a very very very young Amish farmer.

Ever see Viggo Mortensen in "A History of Violence" or "Eastern Promises"?

Both great films with really good performances from him. Naomi Watts is in "Eastern Promises" and Maria Bello, William Hurt and Ed Harris are all in "A History of Violence"

Forgot to add that "A History of Violence" was directed by David Cronenberg, so if you're like me and love his films you should really check it out.

Still remember the first time I saw the movie "Dead Ringers" by him. Had Jeremy Irons in it playing twin doctors with no morals whatsoever. Disturbing is the one word I would use to describe it.

Edited by DireWolf74 (Tue Mar 10 2020 05:47 AM)
Edit Reason: Had to grease the gears in my head to remember something.

#1260827 - Sun Mar 15 2020 06:21 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

Ah, yes, "gynecological instruments for mutant women...."

"To Catch a Thief" 1955

This is better than I remembered it, but still pretty darn silly. But, oh, the gorgeous scenery, and oh, the gorgeous clothes!

#1260828 - Sun Mar 15 2020 06:50 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
DireWolf74 Offline
Mainstay

Ah, yes, "gynecological instruments for mutant women...."

"To Catch a Thief" 1955

This is better than I remembered it, but still pretty darn silly. But, oh, the gorgeous scenery, and oh, the gorgeous clothes!

Yep! That's the one. Good performances in that one though. Jill & Jacqueline Hennessy as the other twins.

#1261306 - Sat Mar 21 2020 08:16 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"No Country for Old Men" 2007

Lord this is a bleak movie. Darn good, though.

#1261308 - Sat Mar 21 2020 10:00 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
DireWolf74 Offline
Mainstay

It's not as bleak as "The Road", the other movie that was adapted from Cormac McCarthy's books.

#1261386 - Sun Mar 22 2020 07:54 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Missing Link" 2019

Well, the movie itself is nothing special, just a reasonably OK kids flick, with kid jokes and kid plot and kid character development. But the animation is breathtaking.

#1261387 - Sun Mar 22 2020 08:15 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
DireWolf74 Offline
Mainstay

For a good recent animated movie that has amazing animation, I highly recommend "The Red Turtle".

It's almost completely without dialogue and it doesn't need any really.

#1261395 - Sun Mar 22 2020 09:07 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

I will definitely check it out, thanks.

#1261402 - Sun Mar 22 2020 09:49 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
DireWolf74 Offline
Mainstay

It was animated by Studio Ghibli. They did Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle.

#1261437 - Mon Mar 23 2020 07:07 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

Ah, yes, I'm familiar with them. "My Neighbour Totoro" was a huge favourite with my kids growing up.

#1261441 - Mon Mar 23 2020 07:54 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
DireWolf74 Offline
Mainstay

Yeah, they always have a dream like feel to them. Haven't seen a movie from them that wasn't good.

Page 56 of 57 < 1 2 ... 54 55 56 57 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong