Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#999904 - Thu Aug 01 2013 11:57 PM My Favourite place- Only one place of choice each.
ren33 Online   FT-cool

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
In response to Divine's enquiry about a given area in England (see August's P.A.D thread -reference to the Cotswolds), lets see how this new thread goes. You can see what I mean in my response. If an area means a lot to you then please give us a
little talk on it , with a photo or two. That way we can build up a sort of guidebook to members' habitats. I think it will be nice to be able to picture where you all are, or the place you love. Please limit this to ONE favourite place only per person! Thanks
This is the best example of Fan tracery in the world: The cloisters in Gloucester Cathedral in Cotswold stone.

Edited by ren33 (Mon Mar 17 2014 10:45 PM)

#1000053 - Fri Aug 02 2013 11:32 AM Re: My Favourite place
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
I hope this is sort of what you have in mind, Ren. grin... I grew up in the Sacramento Mountains in southern New Mexico in the small community of Mountain Park. We kept our horses in the field across the road from our house and this willow tree in that field is my favorite tree and place for having a picnic. As a little girl, my sister and I spent hours "playing house" under its branches and trying to climb up it. (Mom got upset when she caught us climbing!) My parents moved from that house about 10 years ago so I haven't been back. I had always wanted to get a photo of the tree during all four seasons from the same angle, but I have lost my chance as we never get back there now. In my mind's eye, I can still see the horses gathered around it getting shade during the heat of the summer.

Edited to add: for some reason the photo is smaller than I had thought and it makes the tree look very small. In reality, it's huge!

This is the view we had from the tree into the field.

Edited by ClaraSue (Fri Aug 02 2013 11:38 AM)

#1000108 - Fri Aug 02 2013 04:32 PM Re: My Favourite place
ren33 Online   FT-cool

Exactly! How wonderful to grow up in a place like that!

#1000134 - Fri Aug 02 2013 06:22 PM Re: My Favourite place
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Brookland Hill, Hampstead Garden Suburb, looking towards where my friend lived and spent many happy hours into the 80s. The houses are tiny and hugely expensive (some of the highest values in the world) but would still buy one if I could because of the position and the style.

#1000310 - Sat Aug 03 2013 05:00 PM Re: My Favourite place
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
I have loads of favourite places, and have a passion for English stately homes. This is Hatfield House in Hertfordshire. Hertfordshire is one of the counties known as the Home Counties that surround Greater London. Because it is so close to London a lot of the aristocracy lived there at one time. It is also home to Elstree film studios where some of the Star Wars films were made, and Letchworth was the very first "garden city" to be built in the UK. It is a fairly expensive place to live, much if it is still semi rural and given over to agriculture.

Hatfield House was built by the Cecil family in 1611, and is a superb Jacobean Mansion, but there is an older Hatfield Palace, part of which is still in the grounds of the current house. That dates back to around 1497 and was the childhood home of Queen Eliabeth I.

#1000697 - Mon Aug 05 2013 11:37 AM Re: My Favourite place
martin_cube Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Bristol England UK        
With all the talk of the Cotswolds on here recently, this is one place which was mentioned -
Bourton-On-The-Water. A pretty little village, largely untouched by so-called 'progress',
with an attractive water feature - a river runs through it! This is one of the many little
bridges over the river, (although it's shallow enough to wade across if someone felt the need.)
This is the sort of place my parents would take us for a Sunday afternoon drive. I vividly
remember running along the bank, towing a toy boat on a piece of string when I was young -
maybe 7 or 8. It's a wonder I didn't fall in, I'm sure my parents were expecting to happen at
any moment!

#1000765 - Mon Aug 05 2013 10:11 PM Re: My Favourite place
ren33 Online   FT-cool

Thanks for that, Martin. Bourton is one of my favourites too.

#1001213 - Wed Aug 07 2013 07:23 PM Re: My Favourite place
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
Lovely photos everyone!

My favourite place is either my tub (with bubbles please), or my bed (which is unmade at the moment) so I'll have to think of something else before posting lol

#1001234 - Thu Aug 08 2013 12:01 AM Re: My Favourite place
ren33 Online   FT-cool

It is at moments like this, I feel sure, that many members regret the rule of no recognisable people in photos, or they could have a lovely view of you and the bubbles or in your unmade bed, Jakeroo

#1001240 - Thu Aug 08 2013 01:51 AM Re: My Favourite place
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
lol, you're a hoot, Ren.

It's very difficult for me to pick a favourite ANYthing (am sort of an insane eclectic lol)

But bubbles might make for an interesting picture. If I'm in the frame, however, surely the camera lens would break (I wonder if that would count for the same number of years bad luck that a shattered mirror would? LOL)

This is not MY marble encased bathtub (I wish). Not that I dislike mine, but... It was in a resort room near Cabos San Lucas (had jets, but you can't see them in this pic). If you opened the shutters as well as the drapes past the bed and chair that led out onto a 5th floor balcony, you could look directly at the ocean - from the tub!. And no one could see YOU. Pure bliss every day. On the very first night we were there (because hubby lied and said it was our 30th anniversary instead of our 32nd - I guess because it sounded more like a significant "milestone" or something), they knew what time our flight got in and when we walked into the room the bath was already poured (with bubbles AND rose petals in the water) and champagne and chocolates were on the side table. For some reason, I didn't get a picture of the rose petal thing (giggles).

#1001242 - Thu Aug 08 2013 02:08 AM Re: My Favourite place
ren33 Online   FT-cool

Wow! A most effective 'Favourite Place' indeed. Not sure it wouldn't be mine too.

#1001296 - Thu Aug 08 2013 06:59 AM Re: My Favourite place
romeomikegolf Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Rothwell Northants England UK 
My favourite place? Not easy, I've travelled a lot. I always come home though. This is King Richard's well at Bosworth Field.

Would the last person to leave the planet please turn off the lights.

#1001297 - Thu Aug 08 2013 07:02 AM Re: My Favourite place
romeomikegolf Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Rothwell Northants England UK 
Quote:
Thanks for that, Martin. Bourton is one of my favourites too.

When I lived in West Oxfordshire I was 15 minutes away from Bourton. A lovely place.

Would the last person to leave the planet please turn off the lights.

#1028000 - Mon Dec 30 2013 03:39 AM Re: My Favourite place
ren33 Online   FT-cool

Bumping this up. Any more favorite places ??

#1028055 - Mon Dec 30 2013 11:40 AM Re: My Favourite place
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
Hawaii is one of my favourite places on earth. This picture was taken on Oahu - this little island is called Chinaman's Hat, for obvious reasons.

#1028073 - Mon Dec 30 2013 03:17 PM Re: My Favourite place
sisterseagull Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Torquay, Devon UK

This is the cathedral at Bayeux in Normandy... This is one of my favourite places

Edited by sisterseagull (Mon Dec 30 2013 03:19 PM)

#1028094 - Mon Dec 30 2013 08:45 PM Re: My Favourite place
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
I've got an almost identical photo of Bourton myself, it's the only place I took a photo of nearly every time I went so have about 25 years of variations.

Just down the road from my last is Golders Green, I've lived within a couple of miles all my life and the only place I stand a chance of bumping into someone I know.

This is the far end of the main road including one of the many kosher food shops.

Edited by satguru (Mon Dec 30 2013 08:47 PM)
Edit Reason: another number plate!!

#1028216 - Tue Dec 31 2013 05:26 PM Re: My Favourite place
flopsymopsy Offline

Administrator

Loc: Northampton England UK
Salisbury: my favourite place

The summer before I was born was very hot. My mother would walk the mile and a half into town then go into Salisbury cathedral to sit with her feet on the cold flagstones to get cool; a passing verger or canon of the cathedral would often bring her a cup of tea and then, refreshed, she'd do her shopping and get the bus home. As a toddler I spent many hours playing on the grass outside the cathedral, making daisy chains and clambering over the sculptures which, periodically, adorned the area - years later I realised that, amongst others, they were by Henry Moore and Barbara Hepworth. As a teenager I sang with my school choir in the cathedral; every other year we sang the Messiah.

The cathedral has the largest close in England - an area of green lawns and lanes along which are built many mediaeval and Georgian houses, a couple of schools, the Bishop's Palace, etc. It is kept separate from the commercial part of the city by a wall in which there were four main gateways. In one of those gates, St Ann's, the rooms above the gateway arch were where Handel gave his first recital in England. The gate shown below is the High Street gate and it's through here that most visitors to the cathedral enter the close. Most visitors get out as easily as they got in but I remember one evening when I went to a party in what was then the theological college (it's now the city's museum). Conscious that I had promised my father I would catch the last bus home, I left the party only to discover that the great wooden gates were shut and locked - and I was on the wrong side of them. Eek. The cathedral used to have its own policeman, known as the Close Constable; I went in search of him and with a great flourish of the impressive mediaeval keys, he let me out. There's something about being a local kid and going to school with the Close Constable's niece - he'll let you go with a friendly "you wait till you get home, I don't know what your dad will say..." I didn't know either so I legged it. Too late to catch the last bus I think I may actually have beaten it up the hill home.

I must have walked through these gates hundreds and hundreds of times and even though no one in my family lives in the city now, I still go back occasionally - I still go into the cathedral too; after all, I've been doing it since before I was born.

#1028218 - Tue Dec 31 2013 06:06 PM Re: My Favourite place
ren33 Online   FT-cool

That's so exactly what meant for the title My Favorite Place, Caroline! What a lovely lovely place and a great story Thanks so much. You made my New Year!

#1110929 - Sun Oct 04 2015 01:53 AM Re: My Favourite place
ren33 Online   FT-cool

Could I bump this up in the hope that some more people will post a record of their favourite place? It's a lovely thread I think.

Moderator:  flopsymopsy