Special Sub-Topic: 2009 French Open
|Who did 3rd seed Venus Williams lose to in the third round of the women's singles?|
Agnes Szavay. Williams lost to the 29th seed Hungarian in straigh sets (6-0, 6-4). It was a similar tale in the Australian Open for Williams who bowed out in the 2nd Round to Carla Suarez Navarro. Suarez Navarro lost in 3 sets to 8th seed Victoria Azarenka in the 3rd round of the French Open. Venus beat Lucie Safarova in a tough 3 set battle in the 2nd round of the french and Dominika Cibulkova got to the semi-finals taking out Szavay in the 4th round.
|How many games did no.1 seed Dinara Safina lose in her first 4 matches?|
5. She eventually lost a set in the quarterfinals losing it to Victoria Azarenka 6-1. She won the match though and she finished runner-up.
|Which lucky loser made it through to the 2nd round of the men's singles?|
Mathieu Montcourt. Mathieu Montcourt beat Le Yen-hsun 6-2. Yen-hsun retired after the first set. Rui Machado, Josselin Ouanna, and Victor Crivoi were all qualifiers.
|Who retired against 3rd seed Andy Murray in the 3rd round of the men's singles, and what country was he from?|
Janko Tipsarevic - Serbia. He retired at the end of the 2nd set. Murray won the first 2 sets 7-6, 6-3. Potito Starace of Italy took 1 set off Murray in the 2nd round, but couldn't win against the world number 3.
|What was the score when Australian Jelena Dokic retired against Russian Elena Dementieva in the 2nd round of the women's singles?|
6-2, 3-4. Jelena Dokic was forced to retire in her 2nd round clash with Russian Elena Dementieva. Dokic won the first set 6-2 and was on serve in the second 3-4, but unfortunately Dokic couldn't play on. Fellow Aussie Samantha Stosur had her revenge for knocking out her fellow Aussie, with Stosur winning her 3rd round clash 6-3, 4-6, 6-1.
|Who was the 28th seed in the men's singles?|
Feliciano Lopez. Spanish Feliciano Lopez was seeded 28th while Rainer Schuttler was seeded 27th and Mardy Fish was seeded 22nd. Philipp Kohlschreiber was seeded 29th but that didn't stop him from being one of the best players in the tournament. He defeated 4th seed Novak Djkovic in the 3rd round in straight sets. Unfortunately his run ended in the 4th round against Tommy Robredo.
|How many sets did women's champion Svetlana Kuznetsova lose?|
3. Kuznetsova only lost 3 sets. She lost those sets to American Serena Williams, Australian Samantha Stosur, and Polish Agnieszka Radwanska. She won the final 6-4, 6-2 against No.1 seed Dinara Safina.
|How many games did German qualifier Daniel Brands win in his first round clash against American Robert Kendrick?|
27. Daniel Brands lost his first round clash against American Robert Kendrick. The score was 7-6, 5-7, 6-7, 6-4, 3-6. Kendrick played 7th seed Gilles Simon in the 2nd round and bowed out in straight sets.
|Who was the lowest seed to be defeated in the first round?|
Flavia Pennetta. 14th seed Flavia Pennetta was defeated in the first round of the French Open by Alexa Glatch. James Blake was seeded 15th in the men's draw, and he was defeated by Leonardo Mayer in straight sets. 11th seed Nadia Petrova was defeated in the 2nd round by Russian Maria Sharapova.
|How many 5 set matches were played in the entire men's tournament?|
22. Notable matches were the 2 semi-finals, Federer vs Del Potro, and Soderling vs Gonzalez.
|In both draws, how many unseeded players made it through to the quarter-finals?|
2. 2 players were playing in the quarter-finals unseeded, both were in the women's draw. They were Maria Sharapova and Sorana Cirstea. Maria Sharapova beat 10th seed Nadia Petrova i the second round but went down to 20th seed Dominika Cibulkova in straight sets. Sorana Cirstea beat Jelena Jankovic but went down to the No.1 ranked Aussie Samantha Stosur.
|Who beat Gilles Muller and what round was he defeated in?|
Mikhail Youzhny - First Round. Mikhail Youzhny defeated Gilles Muller in 3 sets, 7-6 6-1 6-4. Youzhny lost in his 2nd round match with 30th seed Victor Hanescu in straight sets.
|Who were the Men's doubles champion's?|
Lukas Dlouhy and Leander Paes. The number 3 seeds defeated no. 1 seeds Daniel Nestor and Nenad Zimonjic in the semi-finals to set up a cracker against the unseeded Wesley Moodie and Dick Norman. Moodie and Norman beat No.2 seeds (and possibly the best doubles pair of all time) Bob and Mike Bryan (0-6 7-6 6-4). It was Paes 5th doubles grand slam win but it was Lukas Dlouhy's first ever win in a grand slam.
|In the Boy's singles who beat 2nd seed Bernard Tomic and what country is Tomic from?|
Dominik Schulz - Australia. Bernard Tomic is an Australian Tennis player. He lost in straight sets (7-6, 7-6) to German Dominik Schulz in the 2nd round. Schulz got to the semi-finals but lost to Gianni Mina. Daniel Berta won the event, and it was remarkable because he was unseeded.
|What seed were the champion's of Ladies Doubles Anabel Medina Garrigues and Virginia Ruano Pascual?|
3. Garrigues and Pascual beat Victoria Azarenka and Elena Vesnina in the final of the French Open in straight sets (6-1, 6-1). They beat No.1 seeds Cara Black and Liezel Huber in the semi-finals in 3 sets.
Did you find these entries particularly interesting, or do you have comments / corrections to make? Let the author know!
Send the author a thank you or
Submit a correction