Special Sub-Topic: Legal Drinking Ages by Country
|What is the legal age for purchasing and consuming alcoholic beverages in Australia?|
18. Hefty fines are levied on adults who purchase alcohol on a minor's behalf. Licences are also routinely revoked for establishments which are caught selling alcohol to those under age.
|What is the minimum legal age for purchasing alcoholic beverages in South Korea?|
20. Although the prescribed legal age is 20, babies in South Korea are considered to be already '1' at birth. This means that a person born in 1988 may legally consume alcohol in 2007.
|What is the minimum legal age for the consumption of alcohol in China?|
There is no legal age. Interestingly enough, while tight legal controls exist in other areas, the purchase of alcohol is open to people of all ages.
|The legal age for consumption of alcohol is complicated in Germany. There are different ages for different kinds of alcohol. Which of the following describes this situation?|
16 for beer; 18 for spirits. In addition to this, many bars can prohibit entry to those under 18.
|What is the legal drinking age in Japan?|
20. This law isn't widely enforced however. One of the problems is that there are some two million automated vending machines in Japan that sell different kinds of alcohol all over the country.
|The United Kingdom is the only country in the world that stipulates a minimum legal drinking age at home with parental consent. What is it?|
5. Believe it or not, a five-year old may legally consume alcohol at home with parental consent in the UK. The legal age in bars is 18; from 16 people may consume alcohol in a restaurant when it is ordered with a meal.
|What is the legal age for consuming alcohol in both Spain and Italy?|
16. This is the lowest legally specified age in the world for legal consumption of all kinds of alcohol in bars. Some other countries have lower ages for for purchase and a few other countries have no legal age specified at all.
|Which of the following countries does not have a legally specified drinking age?|
Thailand. The legal age for consumption is 18 in Brazil and the Czech Republic, and it is 19 in South Korea. Thailand has a legal age of 17 for the purchase of alcohol, but no set limit for consumption.
|What is the legal age for purchasing alcohol in Denmark?|
16. The legal age for consumption on a licensed premises is 18, although alcohol may be purchased in Denmark from the age of 16.
|What is the minimum drinking age in Mexico?|
18. There is, however, no restriction on the purchase of alcohol.
Did you find these entries particularly interesting, or do you have comments / corrections to make? Let the author know!
Send the author a thank you or
Submit a correction