Some sample questions from this category:
* What city was known as Beroea or Khalpe in ancient times, and is home to a fortress called the Citadel?
* What city, known for the quality of its steel during the Crusader era, was sacked by troops of the Mongol general Timur in 1400, hosts the Umayyad Mosque and is home to several of the most prestigious universities in the country?
* What city on the Orontes River was known as Emesa in ancient times, is home to the tomb of seventh century general Khalid bin Walid and is near the medieval fortress of Krak des Chevaliers,?
* This city is home to the monasteries of St. Sergius and St. Tekla. The name of the place means "entrance" in Aramaic. In fact, Aramaic is still the daily spoken language there. What city is it?
* This port on the Mediterranean Sea is home to the Al-Mahaba Festival, which takes place every August. It boasts a Roman arch from the reign of Septimus Severus. What is it?