Special Sub-Topic: Aussie O's in Geography
|We'll start out in New South Wales in a town with a gold mining history, named after a European Prince and just over 260km west of Sydney. What is the name of this town? |
Orange. Originally inhabited by Wiradjuri Aborigines, Orange was unofficially named Blackmans Swamp. In the late 1820's it was officially named after the Prince of Orange! One of Orange's 'claims to fame' is being the birthplace of poets A B 'Banjo' Paterson and Kenneth Slessor.
|Down south to Victoria, what is the name of this coastal town, situated on the banks of the Snowy River?|
Orbost. Just over 370km from Melbourne, on the banks of the Snowy River, it is nestled between the coast and the mountains. Settled in 1842, the Snowy River Shipping Company was active there from 1880 to 1916. Orbost is the most easterly town on the Victorian railway.
|West, a little, to South Australia. What is the name of this coastal area, south of Adelaide?|
Onkaparinga. Onkaparinga is known for its wetlands, bushwalking and sandhills. The coastline is mostly cliffs overlooking sandy beaches which are great for swimming, fishing and surfing.
|Which Western Australian town was bombed twice in WWII?|
Onslow. A quiet fishing town, over 1,300km north of Perth near Barrow Island, Onslow was relocated in 1925 after years of being battered by cyclones. During WWII, US, British and Dutch submarines refuelled in the town and it was bombed twice by the Japanese!
|Nearly 80km north of Hobart and south of Launceston, this historic township in Tasmania is on the Midlands Highway. What is its name?|
Oatlands. In 1821 Governor Macquarie named the town after an area in Scotland. The whole town is today classified by the National Trust because of its fine Georgian buildings, mostly constructed in the 1830's. It sits on the shores of Lake Dulverton and appeals to both fishermen and history lovers alike!
|We're in sunny Queensland, 80km north-east of Townsville in an area supervised by the Queensland National Parks and Wildlife Service. Where are we?|
Orpheus Island. Orpheus Island is 20km east of Ingham and is only 11km long and mostly National Park aside from the privately owned Orpheus Island Resort at Hazard Bay and the James Cook University Marine Research Station at Pioneer Bay.
|Way down south and we're in north-eastern Tasmania on the coast where whaling stations were established in the early 1860's. What is the name of this town?|
Orford. Orford is a holiday spot where surfing, fishing and boating can be enjoyed in the waters of the Prosser River or offshore on nearby Maria Island. The ferry to Maria Island, which is 20km offsore, is about 6km north of Orford.
|Up north to Victoria, this town is in the 'Mallee' area of Victoria, 100km south of Mildura. What is its name?|
Ouyen. North east of 'The Big Desert' area, Ouyen is in an excellent region for bird-watching enthusiasts! The 'Big Mallee Root' takes pride of place in the main street of Ouyen and is a reminder of the difficulties faced by settlers trying to clear the area for agriculture in the early 1900's.
|Further up north to Queensland. What is the name of this town situated on the Warrego Highway near Toowoomba?|
Oakey. The Jondaryan Woolshed, built in 1859 is not far from Oakey and is the oldest still standing intact Woolshed in Australia! Named for the local river oaks, Oakey was first settled in the early 1840's and with the arrival of the railway in 1867, a 'real' township was created.
|West to South Australia for a last look, we're over 1,000km north of Adelaide in a town whose name means something like 'blossom of the Mulga'. Where are we?|
Oodnadatta. The area was first explored by John McDouall Stuart in 1859 and from the Oodnadatta Track, a dirt road for nearly 500km, you can still see remnants of the Overland Telegraph. The town lies, literally, in the desert.
Did you find these entries particularly interesting, or do you have comments / corrections to make? Let the author know!
Send the author a thank you or
Submit a correction