Special Sub-Topic: Guildford
|What English county is Guildford in?|
Surrey. Guildford is the county seat of Surrey. Guildford is an easy 30 minute commute by rail to London. Guildford is located southwest of London.
|Scenes from which horror film were filmed at Guildford Cathedral?|
The Omen. Guildford Cathedral is a modern cathedral. It was started in 1936 and completed in 1961.
The version of "The Omen" is the 1976 version, not the 2006 version.
|Which of these people or groups are not associated with Guildford?|
Harry Potter. Ford Prefect from Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy claimed to be from Guildford.
The Stranglers were originally called 'The Guildford Stranglers'.
Lewis Carroll lived and was buried in Guildford. There is a statue of Alice through the Looking Glass in the grounds of Guildford Castle. Harry Potter has no connection with Guildford.
|What type of place is Guildford?|
Town. In spite of having a cathedral, a university and being the county seat of Surrey, Guildford is not a city. The last application was made in 2002, but Guildford was not successful in gaining the Queen's Charter.
|The High Street in Guildford is believed to have the oldest place of worship in Europe of which religion?|
Jewish. In 1995 the remains of a 12th century synagogue were discovered in the High Street. It was excavated and can be visited now.
|In what age was Guildford Castle most likely first built?|
Saxon. Guildford Castle is ruined, but still a popular tourist attraction. It was restored in Victorian times and then again in the early 2000's. The flower gardens of the Castle are one of the highlights of Guildford. The current keep is Norman built by William the Conqueror, likely on top of an earlier Saxon fortification.
|What is the name of the river that runs through Guildford?|
Wey. The river Wey meanders through the countryside. There is a bridge over the Wey at the bottom of the High Street. Narrowboats navigate the Wey through way of locks. The tow-path was built for horses that towed barges. It is now a popular walking trail.
|To which sport is the earliest known reference made in Guildford?|
cricket. In 1598 a court case refers to the game of cricket being played ~1550 at the Royal Grammar School. The Royal Grammar School still exists and fields a cricket team.
|From which of these could the name Guildford have come from?|
the yellow sand by the river. The two most likely possibilities for the origin of the name Guildford are the yellow (Guild = Golden) sand that the river runs through, or the yellow marigolds that grow down by the river.
There was no battle fought at Guildford between Harold the first and William the first. That was the Battle of Hastings in 1066.
The Downs is mainly grassland without many flowers, except for bluebells in the Chantries.
There was no guildhouse down by the river.
|What was the Friary in Guildford as at the beginning of the 21st century?|
A shopping centre. The Friary is a modern indoor shopping centre. Little or nothing of the original structure is left.
Did you find these entries particularly interesting, or do you have comments / corrections to make? Let the author know!
Send the author a thank you or
Submit a correction