Special Sub-Topic: Nextel Cup 2004
|Dale Earnhardt Jr. won the 2004 Daytona 500. How many years had it been in-between since his father, Dale Earnhardt, earned his only win in the "Great American Race"?|
6. Dale Earnhardt Sr. won the Daytona 500 in 1998, in his 19th attempt in the race. Dale Jr. won the race in only his fifth attempt.
|Which track hosted its final event in 2004?|
North Carolina Speedway. The last Cup race at North Carolina Speedway was held in February. Matt Kenseth edged Kasey Kahne at the finish line to win the final event at "The Rock".
|Which driver failed to win a Cup event in 2004?|
Bobby Labonte. Bobby Labonte failed to win a race in 2004, the first time in nine seasons he failed to visit victory lane. He finished 12th in the points standings.
|Who won both Pocono events in 2004?|
Jimmie Johnson. Jimmie Johnson won both the Pocono events in July and August. He also won both points races at Lowe's and Darlington in 2004.
|What was Johnson's lead over second place in the points race after the August Pocono event?|
232. Johnson led the standings for most of the season. It ended up to be the biggest points lead any driver would have all season.
|Which driver did not win a short track event?|
Tony Stewart. Stewart had two victories in 2004, at Chicagoland in July and Watkins Glen in August. He ended up sixth in the final points standings.
|How many times did Kasey Kahne finish second in 2004?|
5. Kahne finished second at Rockingham, Las Vegas, Texas, Michigan, and California. He won four poles during the season, finished 13th in points, and was named the 2004 Nextel Cup Rookie of the Year.
|Which rookie did not earn a top five finish in 2004?|
Brian Vickers. Vickers' best finish of the year was seventh in the October Atlanta race. Gaughan's best finish was fourth at Talladega in October, Wimmer third in the Daytona 500, and Riggs fifth at Dover in June.
|Jeff Gordon was in the top ten in points all season long.|
f. He crashed in the Las Vegas race in March and dropped to 20th in the points standings, his lowest ranking of the year.
|Which driver had the highest amount of DNF's (did not finish) in 2004?|
Jamie McMurray. McMurray had six DNF's in 2004. He ended up 11th in the points standings.
|Which track did Jeff Gordon not win at in 2004?|
Atlanta Motor Speedway. Gordon won five times in 2004, and finished third in the points race.
|How many laps did Jimmie Johnson lead in the Coca-Cola 600 at Lowe's in May?|
334. Johnson dominated the race, leading 334 of the 400 laps, on his way to victory in the Coke 600 for the second straight year.
|Which driver switched to a new team during the season?|
Jeff Burton. Jeff Burton began the season in Roush Racing's #99 Ford, but moved to the #30 Richard Childress Racing Chevy for the August Michigan event. Carl Edwards replaced Burton in the #99 car.
|Which driver clinched the final spot in the chase for the Nextel Cup, by winning at Richmond in September?|
Jeremy Mayfield. Mayfield finished just 15 points ahead of Jamie McMurray for 10th in the points race, after winning the final race before the start of the Chase. It was his first victory in four years, and his fourth career Cup win. McMurray finished seventh in the event.
|Who led the points standings heading into the first race in the Chase at New Hampshire?|
Jeff Gordon & Gordon. Gordon had a five point lead over Jimmie Johnson with the points system reset for the top ten after Richmond. The top ten were separated by just 45 points heading into the first Chase event.
|Who won the first Chase event?|
Kurt Busch. Busch earned his third and final victory of the season in the Sylvania 300. He was tied for first in the points race with Jeff Gordon after the event.
|How many drivers outside the top ten in points won in the final ten races?|
2. Joe Nemechek won at Kansas in September, while Greg Biffle won the season finale at Homestead in November.
|How many Chase drivers finished in the top ten at Talladega in October?|
3. Dale Earnhardt Jr. won the event and took the points lead, but was fined 25 championship points for using profanity in the post race interview and lost the lead to Kurt Busch.
|Which Chase driver did not win in the final ten races?|
Jeff Gordon. Surprisingly, Gordon failed to win in the final ten. However, he led more laps than any other driver in the last ten events.
|How many points did Kurt Busch edge Jimmie Johnson by to win the 2004 Nextel Cup Championship?|
8. Busch finished fifth in the season finale while Johnson finished third. Busch scored more bonus points than any other Chase driver in the last ten events. Johnson finished second in the points race.
Did you find these entries particularly interesting, or do you have comments / corrections to make? Let the author know!
Send the author a thank you or
Submit a correction