Special Sub-Topic: Old Derby and Derbyshire
|By the end of the 19th century how many churches were there in Derby?|
86. And this wasn't counting the Salvation Army, Christadelphians and Plymouth Brethren.
|The Society of Friends have been meeting in Derby since 1808. They are more commonly known as Quakers. How did they come to have this name?|
Their founder George Fox is said to have exclaimed 'tremble at the word of the Lord'. The Derby Meeting Room is said to be one of the earliest establishments of the Society. After George Fox exclaimed 'tremble at the word of the Lord' the name Quakers stuck.
|In 1886 the County Prison became Her Majesty's Prison but there had been a prison in Derby since King Henry VIII's time. Where was the original prison situated?|
Corn Market. The original prison was in the Corn Market right next to Markeaton Brook. In bad weather the Brook would flood and there are known cases of prisoners drowning in sewage. For those interested it's roughly between where the HSBC Bank and H. Samuels.
|The Derby Infirmary was opened in 1810 but towards the end of the century it was deemed too small and it was rebuilt. Queen Victoria laid the foundation stone and the hospital became the Derbyshire Royal Infirmary. But in what year?|
1881. Queen Victoria laid the foundation stone on 21st May 1881. All classes of people gave up a day's pay to contribute towards the cost of the building.
|The Derby Temperance Society was founded in the 1850s. What was the role of the Temperance Society?|
To encourage people to reduce or entirely stop drinking alcohol. The Society was based in Curzon Street and thanks to the generosity of a Mr & Mrs Boden were not only free from debt but also had a new organ. There rooms could hold 1,000 people for meetings and concerts.
|The expansion of Derby in the 1840s and 1850s was as a result of which industry?|
Railway. The railways came to Derby in the 1840s and, with it, a huge increase in the demand for labour.
|A book The Compleat Angler (original spelling) was written in Derbyshire by a person who has a village named after him.|
Izaak Walton. Izaak Walton was a friend of Charles Cotton, and they spent a great deal of time fishing the banks of the River Dove. He wrote 'The Compleat Angler' which has been reprinted over 300 times. Not far from where he fished, is Beresford Dale where a small temple still exists that Walton & Cotton built.
|Which of the following religions did NOT have a base in Derby in Victorian times?|
Seventh Day Adventists. All four were, in the middle of the 19th quite strong religions and whilst the Seventh Day Adventists certainly had bases in other towns and cities they didn't at that time preach in Derby.
|In what year did electric trams first appear on the streets of Derby?|
1904. The Horse Tram service was launched in 1881 and was brought out by the Town Corporation in 1902, and they started the Electric Tram service in 1904.
|In 1717 John Lombe started a business in Derby having stolen the idea for the machinery from Piedmont, Italy. What was the material he produced?|
Silk. Working on the principle that 'everything is fair in love and war' Lombe stole the idea for silk trowing machines from Piedmont in Italy. He met an untimely end only 3 years later when an Italian woman in the pay of Piedmont came to Derby and poisoned him.
Did you find these entries particularly interesting, or do you have comments / corrections to make? Let the author know!
Send the author a thank you or
Submit a correction