How many children did Zeus have?
#104368. Asked by pagea. (Apr 03 09 3:12 PM)
Like this Site Better:|
With his Divine Wives he had:
1) Hesoid says his first wife was Metis, and from this union Athena was born.
2)His second wife was Themis, the incarnation of law or equality. The first offspring was Horae (the Hours or the Seasons). The Horae were three in number: Eunonia, Dice and Eirene (Order, Justica and Peace), but the Athenians knew them as Thallo, Auxa and Garpo
Then came three daughters known as the Fates or Morae: Clotho, Lachesis, and Atropos who determined the destiny of every human being
4) Zeus' third wife, Eurynome, bore him three more daughters, the Graces (Charites): Aglaia, Euphrosyne, and Thalia
5) After this Zeus was companion with his daughter Demeter from which union Persephone was born
6) Then he attached to Mnemosyne who bore him nine daughters, the Muses
7) Leto was his next wife who bore Zeus Artemis and Apollo.
8) Next the god Hermes was born to Maia, daughter of Atlas
9) Last in line of Zeus' divine wives was Hera, his sister, who bore him a son Ares, the god of war, and two daughters: Hebe and Eileithyia,
Then he had his mortal women:
These included Alcmene, who bore him Hercules, and a daughter Semele with whom Zeus fathered Dionysus.
I think thats 28 but I may have lost count.
Another source lists Zeus' offspring with:|
Offspring: Horai (Dike [justice], Eirene [peace], Eunomia [lawful government]), Moirai.
Offspring: Charites (Aglaia, Euphrosyne, Thalia).
Offspring: The Muses (Kleio, Euterpe, Thaleia, Melpomene,
Terpsichore, Erato, Polymnia, Ourania, Kallioe).
Offspring: Ares, Hebe, Eileithuia, [Hephaistos?])
Offspring: Artemis and Apollo.
Maia (daughter of Atlas)
Source: Timothy Gantz' Early Greek Myth.
Another states that Zeus' Children were: Apollo, Ares, Artemis, Athena, Dionysus, Arcas, Amphion, Zethus, Britomartis, Polydeuces, Minos, Rhadamanthys, Sarpedon, Helen, Eileithyia, Hebe, Hephaestus.
Zeus had 54 children, 31 by Divine unions including The Three Graces: Aglaea, Euphrosyne, and Thalia; The Nine Muses: Calliope, Clio, Erato, Euterpe, Melpomene, Polyhymnia, Terpsichore, Thalia, and Urania; The Horae: First Generation - Auxo, Carpo, and Thallo, and Second Generation - Dike, Eirene, and Eunomia; The Morai: Atropos, Clotho, and Lachesis; and 23 by Human unions.|
You can't know the players without a scorecard!
Find something useful here? Please help us spread the word about FunTrivia. Recommend this page below!