Special Sub-Topic: Old Inns, Taverns & Pubs of Derby
|This pub, on Queen's Street until 1926, has the name of a tree-borne fruit. Which?|
Acorn. It was in existence on this site between 1846 and 1926 and is thought to have taken its name from the Oakes family of Derby who had a grant of arms incorporating three acorns in 1806.
|Located in Derby's Cornmarket until just before the Second World War, this pub takes its name from an admiral who beat the French in 1780.|
Admiral Rodney. Admiral Rodney beat the French at Cape St Vincent in 1780 and again in 1782, for which he was raised to the peerage.
|Still serving a lovely pint in the 2000s, this pub was named after one of the children of Christian IX of Denmark. Which?|
Alexandra. Why would a Derby pub be named after the daughter of a Danish king? Alexandra married the Prince of Wales (the future King Edward VII) on 10 March 1863 and the pub came into being just a few years later.
|This pub takes its name from a famous battle fought in the Crimea in the 1850s.|
The Alma. The Battle of the Alma took place on 20 September 1854, and the Alma Pub came into being some time after 1857, converted from a pair of terraced cottages.
|This pub takes its name from a popular sport in the USA.|
Baseball. A local foundry owner, Sir Francis Ley, returned from the States in 1881 and tried to introduce a Baseball League. It failed, and the ground was eventually taken over by Derby County Football Club where they remained for over a hundred years before moving to Pride Park.
|One of Derby's first morgues was in the basement of a Derby pub, but which one?|
The Dolphin. Until the early 1800s one of the first morgues in Derby was in the Dolphin Inn. I wondered whether they served food?
|One of the oldest pubs in Derby and a former Coaching Inn. A new facade was added in the 1920s and it can be found close to the Market Place. What is it called?|
The Old Bell. It started life as a coaching inn around 1691, and by the 1770s was owned by John Campion, who made his fortune as a trader in the West Indies.
|This pub linked Derby with a neighbouring City?|
The Nottingham Castle (Nottingham). The Nottingham Castle was while it stood the oldest pub in Derby with parts of the fabric dating back to the mid 13th century. Sadly demolished by the city council in 1964, the plot stood empty until 1988.
|This pub was in existence for around 150 years in an area known as King's Mead. Which was it?|
The Three Nuns. Situated on land formerly owned by St Mary de Pratis, the pub was demolished in 1963 under slum clearance orders.
|Named after the patron saint of throat ailments, this pub featured in Derby for only a short time around the middle of the 18th century.|
Bishop Blaze. The original spelling was Blasius and as well as being the patron saint of throat ailments he is also the patron saint of wool-combers and was put to death in c. 316 by being torn by metal combs before being beheaded.
Did you find these entries particularly interesting, or do you have comments / corrections to make? Let the author know!
Send the author a thank you or
Submit a correction