Interesting Questions, Facts and Information
- There are a total of 125 general entries. We are selecting 30 for display.
Interesting Questions, Facts, and Information
Test Cricket Challenge
Australia. D.W. Gregory of Australia tossed the coin and J.Lillywhite of England called incorrectly. Gregory opted to bat first.
|Who was the first player to score a century in both innings of a Test Match?||Test Cricket Firsts
W. Bardsley. Warren Bardsley of Australia scored 136 and 130 in the fifth Test of 1909 at Kennington Oval, London.
|Who was the first player to be dismissed for a pair (0 runs in both innings of a Test)?||Test Cricket Firsts
G. F. Grace. George Frederick Grace of England, brother of the great W.G.Grace, obtained this title in his one and only Test at Kennington Oval, London in 1880. Two weeks later he died at the age of 30 due to complications with a cold.
E. J. Gregory. Edward James Gregory of Australia was the first player to be dismissed without scoring a run in the first ever Test against England at the MCG in 1877.
F. R. Spofforth. Frederick Robert Spofforth of Australia claimed match figures of 6 for 48 and 7 for 62 against England in the only Test played at the MCG in 1879.
W. E. Midwinter. William Evans Midwinter of Australia took 5 wickets for 78 runs against England in the first ever Test Match at the MCG.
A. Sandham. Andrew Sandham scored 325 runs for England against the West Indies in the 4th Test of 1929-30 at Kingston, Jamaica. He was bowled by Griffith on 5th April 1930 (the 3rd day of the macth). He was 151* at the end of the first day and 309* at the end of the second day. Three months later Sir Donald George Bradman of Australia scored 334 runs against England at Headingley, Leeds, in the Third Test of 1930. In the course of doing so he scored 309 runs in a day's play.
W. L. Murdoch. William Lloyd Murdoch of Australia scored 211 runs against England at Kennington Oval, London, in the Third Test of 1884.
C. Bannerman. Charles Bannerman of Australia scored 165 runs against England before retiring hurt in the first ever Test Match.
Melbourne Cricket Ground. The first ever Test Match was played in 1877 at the Melbourne Cricket Ground. Australia beat England by 45 runs.
Mark Burgess. Burgess achieved this feat in 1977-78. Howarth was a star batsman in the team at the time.
Ian Craig. Ian Craig took over the captaincy in 1957, aged 22. Hughes was 24, Benaud 28, and Bradman 28.
4. Since S.A. only resumed Test cricket in 1992, they have had Kepler Wessels, Hansie Cronje, Gary Kirsten and Shaun Pollock.
2. Hanif and Mushtaq were the ones who captained Pakistan.
1. The only full day lost was the 3rd day of the England v India Test at The Oval.
Walter Hammond. Hammond was the incumbent before the war, so he was the logical choice to continue.
|Australia had two Test captains during 1946. One was Don Bradman. Who was the other?||Test Cricket In 1946
Bill Brown. Bill Brown captained the Test against New Zealand, before Bradman had decided to make a comeback after the war.
|Two batsmen made the equal-highest individual score for the year. Who were they?||Test Cricket In 1946
Don Bradman and Sid Barnes. Bradman and Barnes made 234 in the same innings of the second Test v. England.
7. There were 4 scored by Australians, 2 by Englishmen and 1 by an Indian.
42. This was the first Test innings after the war, by New Zealand v Australia at Wellington. Thet fared little better in the second innings, scoring only 54.
2. These were both rain-affected games between England and India.
Alec Bedser. Bedser took 27 wickets in 5 Tests. Miller took 12 in 3 Tests, Toshack took 15 in 3, and Amarnath took 13 in 3 Tests.
Don Bradman. Bradman scored 421 runs in his only 2 innings for the year. Compton scored 146 in 4 innings, Hutton 123 in 5 innings, and Merchant 245 in 5 innings.
6. There were only 6 tests played, due to economic restrictions, as well as countries still taking stock after the war.
Melbourne. The first ever test was played in 1876/77 at Melbourne. Australia beat England by 45 runs.
576. Sanath Jayasuriya and Roshan Mahanama hold the record for the 2nd wicket in Colombo against India in 1997/98. Sri Lanka made 952-6 in that drawn test.
|In 1990/91 a record was set for the highest number of runs in a test match innings without any byes being conceeded: how many runs were scored in that inings?||Cricket Test Matches
671. The wicket-keeper was H.T. Tillakaratne - Sri Lanka v New Zealand at Wellington in 1990/91.
Pakistan and New Zealand. It was in 1984/85. At Hyberabad in Pakistan. Pakistan beat New Zealand by three wickets.
1992 . Against India at Harare. The match was drawn.
|In the 1980s Pakistan set a record for the most extras scored in a test match. How many?||Cricket Test Matches
71. Pakistan v West Indies in Georgetown in April 1988. 21 byes, 8 leg byes, 4 wides, 38 no balls represented in Pakistan's total of 435.