Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The 2001 grand final became the highest scoring grand final (54 points), when the Newcastle Knights beat the minor premiers Parramatta by 30-24.
2. How many times during their 11 consecutive grand final victories from 1956 to 1966 were St George behind at half time?
3. Prior to their expulsion from the NRL at the end of the 1999 season, the last time South Sydney were minor premiers was in 1970, when they went on to beat Manly-Warringah 23-12 in the grand final.
4. In the first mandatory grand final (1954) South Sydney defeated minor premiers Newtown 23-15. In what year was the next grand final played, in which neither South Sydney nor St George were one of the teams on the field?
5. With 4 minutes to go in the 1999 grand final, a penalty try was awarded to Craig Smith of Melbourne Storm, when he was hit mid-air in the in-goal area by Jamie Anscough of St George-Illawarra. Was this the first penalty try awarded in a grand final?
Source: Author gtho4
This quiz was reviewed by our editing team before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.