Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The Pittsburgh Steelers joined the NFL as the Pittsburgh Pirates in 1933. As a result, the Steelers are one of the oldest surviving NFL franchises. Which of these four franchises is *NOT* older than the Steelers?
2. Due to player shortages caused by the Second World War, the Steelers were forced to merge with the Philadelphia Eagles and the Chicago Cardinals in the 1943 and 1944 seasons respectively. How many combined wins did the merged teams have?
3. Between the Steelers' first playoff berth in 1947 and the team's first AFC Central title in 1972, how many winning seasons did the Steelers have?
4. Chuck Noll was named as the new head coach of the Steelers in 1969, which helped create the foundations of the franchise's 1970s dynasty. Which college coach was offered the job before Noll?
5. Between 1969 and 1974, how many future Hall of Fame players did Noll draft for the Steelers?
6. One of the most famous plays in NFL history occurred in the 1972 playoffs when the Steelers faced the Oakland Raiders. Who was the original intended receiver of the "immaculate reception"?
7. The Steelers won their first championship in January 1975 (Super Bowl IX) after the 1974 season, defeating the Minnesota Vikings. Which of these was *NOT* a source of any points during the game?
8. January 1976 saw the team win a second consecutive Super Bowl. It was also a particularly good year for wide receiver Lynn Swann. However, which of these accomplishments did Swann fail to achieve in the 1975 season?
9. At the height of the dynasty, the Terrible Towel began to grow in popularity amongst Steelers fans. Who came up with the idea for the towels?
10. Super Bowl XIII (January 1979) between the Steelers and the Dallas Cowboys is considered one of the finest Super Bowls by most analysts. In 2019, NFL analyst Elliot Harrison and former Cowboys guru Gil Brandt compiled a ranking of all of the previous 52 Super Bowls. Where did Super Bowl XIII rank?
11. The 1980s saw the Steelers' invincibility wear down with numerous playoff disappointments and losing seasons. Which of these teams did *NOT* defeat the Steelers in the playoffs during this decade?
12. Bill Cowher replaced Chuck Noll as head coach for the 1992 season. Which of these feats did Cowher achieve in his early years in Pittsburgh?
13. The Steelers kicked off the 21st century with a 9-7 season in 2000. Who was the team's only Pro Bowler that year?
14. The Steelers ended their 26-year wait for a fifth Super Bowl in Super Bowl XL (February 2006) against the Seattle Seahawks. Which of these did *NOT* occur during the game?
15. Which of these awards was won by a Steelers player in the 2008 season?
16. Who was the only wide receiver to play in both Super Bowl XLIII and Super Bowl XLV for the Steelers?
17. During the 2012 season, the Steelers notched their 400th win in the post-merger era. Which team did they beat to achieve this milestone?
18. Who was the first Steelers head coach to be awarded the NFL Coach of the Year award by the Associated Press?
19. Which of these famous Steelers team mate pairings were inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in the same year?
20. Which of these "best of" teams featured the least Steelers players? (to qualify as a "Steeler", the player needs to have played a minimum of five seasons with the team)
Source: Author TheOracler
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor gtho4
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.