Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Hermione Gingold (1897-1987) was unconventional all her life. Her family was well-off but went regularly from rags to riches and back.
Where was she born ?
2. Hermione had a very unusual middle name. What was it?
3. Hermione was married twice. Defying convention as so often in her life, she deserted her first husband and children. Who was her husband?
4. Hermione having deserted her children when they were still young, even the mention of her name was not allowed in their home. Despite this sad start in life, both the boys did well and one of them has a theatre in Scarborough named after him. Who was he?
5. During WW2 Hermione was a tireless performer who kept London entertained in a series of revues largely written by Alan Melville. What was the name of the first revue, which went onstage in 1943?
6. In 1958 Hermione was one of the stars of 'Gigi'. Her co-stars were mainly French, but Hermione kept her own English accent. It was different, but it really didn't matter, and she was unforgettable as Mme Alvarez. She sang a touching duet with the iconic French actor Maurice Chevalier. What was the song?
7. In 1973 Hermione was in the original Broadway cast of a musical that later transferred to London, and also became a film. She appeared onstage with her arm in a sling following an accident, but rose above it as she so often did in her unconventional life. One of the best known songs from this musical was 'Send in the Clowns'. What was the name of the show?
8. How would you describe her singing voice?
9. Throughout most of her life Hermione was a man-eater with a string of lovers. Even in old age Hermione maintained her deep interest in sex, which lasted until she was 85. Her last lover was somewhat younger than she. When they first met, was he young enough to be her:
10. When Hermione died in 1987 she was completing her autobiography, which was a no-holds barred account of her life. She knew how scandalous and unconventional her life was in some peoples' eyes, but she had few regrets and wanted to tell the truth. What was the book called?
Source: Author invinoveritas
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Nannanut
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.