Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. What is the capital city of Russia?
2. Situated on the Lena River in the far east of Siberia and the second coldest city in the world, many dissidents were exiled here during the communist era?
3. Known as Sverdlovsk during most of the 20th century, this city was the infamous site of the execution of Czar Nicholas and his family in 1918?
4. Formerly known as Leningrad and founded near the mouth of the Neva River in 1703, this city is the second largest in Russia?
5. Named from a Sami word meaning 'the edge of the earth' this is the largest city inside the Arctic Circle and Russia's only major ice-free port in the west?
6. Known as 'Stalingrad' during much of the communist era, this city was destroyed during World War II and represented the farthest point of the German advance?
7. Situated on the Ob River in southern Siberia, this city is a major point on the Trans-Siberian railway and is regarded as the cultural capital of eastern Russia?
8. Situated on Russia's Pacific coast, this city has been a major port and naval base and was occupied by Japanese troops after the Russian Revolution until 1922?
9. Founded originally on the Volga River by Mongol invaders and nowadays capital of the Tatarstan Republic, this city was a source of trouble for a succession of Russian administrations until finally subdued in 1774?
10. Known as 'Gorky' during the communist era and long a centre of trade and commerce, this city is located at the confluence of the Volga and Oka Rivers and is one of the largest cities in Russia?
Source: Author hews
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor ozzz2002
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.