Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. 'Leprechauns' are probably the most heard of fairies. They are said to carry two leather pouches. What is inside these pouches?
2. What is said to be the leprechaun's favourite tipple?
3. The 'dullahan' is normally seen either riding a black horse or in a black coach. How many horses are said to draw this coach?
4. The 'dullahan' spends its time wandering around the countryside. What is said to happen when the dullahan stops?
5. There are two fates said to befall people who watch from their houses to see the 'dullahan'. The first is that they have a bowl of blood thrown in their faces. What is the second?
6. The 'pooka' is quite naughty, it is said to spend its time causing havoc and damage. It can appear in a variety of forms. Which is the most common?
7. No one has ever managed to ride the 'pooka'.
8. Brian Boru made the 'pooka' promise two things. Firstly, that it would not ruin the property of Christians. What was the second?
9. What is said to happen to hens that encounter the 'pooka'?
10. The 'grogoch' are quite helpful creatures. They are said to be half human, half fairy. Although they settled in Ireland, they aren't originally Irish. Where did they come from?
11. The 'grogoch' is said to have what power?
12. The 'grogoch' enjoys household chores. He is known to run around the house looking for odd jobs. What type of payment does he prefer?
13. Despite their scaly appearance, 'merrows' are said to be what?
14. When a 'merrow' comes ashore, she must leave her cloak behind. If a man finds the cloak he has control over the merrow and she can not return to the sea. What must she do to return?
15. The 'banshee' is well known as being a messenger of death in Irish mythology. In Scottish folklore she is called a "bean nighe". What other name does she have?
Source: Author blondelolly
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor agony
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.