Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. What is the city that Johannes Vermeer was born in?
2. How old was Johannes Vermeer when he died?
3. Which of these statements about his marital status is true?
4. How many children did Jan Vermeer have?
5. Scholars attribute 36 paintings to Johannes Vermeer. Which of these is a dominant subject in them, collectively?
6. Vermeer had an affinity for a certain precious stone/gem, as it appears eleven times in his paintings. Which of these listed is it?
7. There is another dominant feature in Vermeer's paintings, a feature that seems to show up in 20 of his 36 paintings. What is it?
8. Vermeer used the same pigments as many of the artists of his day. But Vermeer had a notable exception, "ultramarine". This color is found in many of his paintings, and Vermeer insisted on not skimping in cost to get this color. To get this color, what rock/stone did Vermeer have to purchase?
9. The last paintings attributed to Vermeer feature women and "virginals". What best describes a "virginal"?
10. Though incredibly popular now, Vermeer did not earn enough to keep his family afloat, and after his death his family petitioned for bankruptcy. What famous Dutchman, likely a neighbor of Vermeer, became the trustee for his estate?
Source: Author spaudrey
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor agony
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.