Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. As the novel opens, taxi pilot Matt Shore neither knows nor cares anything about horse racing. What happens during his run to Haydock race course that plants the first seeds of his interest?
2. When a pretty girl comes to the plane to talk to him, Mat's flagging spirits rise. What are her first words?
3. Who does the pretty girl who comes to talk to Matt at Haydock race course turn out to be?
4. What horse is Australian jockey Kenny Bayst riding in the 3:30 at Haydock, and why is this important for the story as a whole?
5. Nancy's hippy wannabe-boyfriend Chanter talks a good, anti-establishment story, though he is in fact employed. What does he do for a living?
6. At Redcar races, Matt intervenes to keep Kenny Bayst from being crippled by a couple of thugs with big fists and heavy boots. Who are the thugs working for?
7. Why does Colin invite Matt to come home with him when Matt delivers his passengers at Cambridge after Redcar races?
8. A month after Matt's first flight to Haydock racecourse, he returns in the replacement Cherokee Six, while Nancy flies Colin for the first time in her rented Cherokee Four. Matt lands and unloads his passengers in time to watch Nancy land. He congratulates her and then walks into the races with her and Colin, leading the saboteur to think he flew their plane. What assumption does the saboteur base on this mistaken belief?
9. What is the reason for blowing up the original Derrydown Cherokee Six and for sabotaging Nancy and Collin's Cherokee Four?
10. Why is Maj. Tiderman murdered?
11. The Duke of Wessex, owner of Rudiments and sponsor of the Racegoers Accident Fund, is described by Nancy as "sweet as they come" but "dreadfully dim", and by his own nephew, young Matthew, as not understanding about people. How does Matt feel about the Duke?
12. Is Matt's life in danger at any point in the book?
13. When Matt solves the mystery of the attempted fraud with the Accident Fund as well as Maj. Tyderman's murder, what does the con artist cum murderer do?
14. What happens to the con artist cum murderer?
15. True or false: The book ends with the certainty that Nancy will marry Chanter.
Source: Author Catreona
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor looney_tunes
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.