Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. It is often said that this battle was the key turning point in the Soviet Union's war with Germany, dooming the Nazis due to tremendous irreplaceable casualties.
2. This battle was said to have "broken the back" of the Axis offensive into British Egypt leading to the Allied occupation of Italian North Africa.
3. This naval engagement is said to have been the most important naval battle in the Pacific Theater of World War II. Japan had attempted to strike a quick, decisive blow against the American Navy yet were decisively defeated due to overly aggressive Japanese plans and American code breakers.
4. This famous air battle is significant because it is believed to be what had saved the Allies from falling to the Axis early on in the war before Germany invaded the Soviet Union.
5. This long and bloody siege was very costly in terms of casualties and structural destruction. The city had experienced the largest loss of life in the modern era due to nearly three years of heavy conflict.
6. This was the largest amphibious invasion in history. While contemporary scholars still debate the actual usefulness of this invasion it was nonetheless a proverbial "nail in the coffin" for Nazi Germany.
7. This battle was particularly bloody considering the relatively small islands it was fought on. It is also known for a disturbing number of civilian deaths, largely due to suicide instead of the actual fighting.
8. The bombing of this city still remains very controversial in modern history due to the indiscriminate nature of the bombing which led to thousands of civilian deaths. Proponents of the bombing argue its importance in further hindering German industry yet others find it excessive.
9. This battle was the largest engagement of tanks in history. It is also said to be the first example of a failure of the German Blitzkrieg tactic as the Soviets maintained their position despite relatively huge Soviet casualties compared to the Germans.
10. While technically not the end of the war, this battle basically signified the end of the war in Europe with the suicide of many German leaders including Hitler himself during the battle.
Source: Author Avalice
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.