Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. In 'The Chalet School and Barbara', the girls go on an excursion to the Swiss capital of Berne and have a meal consisting of vegetable soup, Bernerplatte and meringues with cherries and whipped cream. Which of these foods would NOT be a typical Bernerplatte ingredient?
2. In 'The Feud in the Chalet School' and 'Mary-Lou of the Chalet School', the girls sample a dish which is often associated with Switzerland. It means 'melted', involves dipping bits of bread or vegetables in cheese, and was popular at '70s dinner parties in the UK. Can you guess what dish this is?
3. When the girls go to Zermatt for their half-term trip in 'Theodora and the Chalet School', they try a local cheese which is traditionally heated before bits are scraped off onto plates. What is the name of this cheese?
4. People familiar with German cuisine may think of jam-filled doughnuts when they hear the word 'Krapfen', but the Swiss Krapfen, which appears in 'Two Sams at the Chalet School', isn't a doughnut. It contains pears and nuts, but what kind of sweet item is it?
5. In 'The Chalet School and Richenda', when Richenda Fry is staying with the Maynard family, they take her on a trip to the Valais where they have a meal of bisque, viande sechee (dried pork) and a flan consisting of a small orange fruit which you wouldn't associate normally with Switzerland. However, the fruit in question genuinely is grown in the Valais, and often appears in jams and desserts there. Which fruit is this?
6. In 'A Problem for the Chalet School', the girls try a local spiced biscuit with a sugar glaze while in Basle. Its name comes from the German word for 'delicious'. With that in mind, can you guess which answer is the correct one?
7. In several of the 'Chalet School' books, Elinor M Brent-Dyer mentions Swiss patisserie, often filled with jam or whipped cream. In 'Excitements at the Chalet School', the naughty Australian girl Emerence Hope eats three helpings of a certain patisserie item made from alternating layers of puff pastry and cream, and decorated with white fondant icing. In the German-speaking parts of Switzerland, this sweet treat is known as 'Crèmeschnitte', but what is its French name?
8. In 'The Chalet School Triplets', the Maynard triplets go for a meal with their father Jack and order Kassuppe, a soup made with which dairy product?
9. In 'Mary-Lou of the Chalet School', the girls go on a trip to Zurich and eat Zurchertopf in a restaurant, followed by Dampfnudeln mit Pflaumen for dessert. Zurchertopf is a meat dish, but what kind?
10. Kugelipastete is a dish enjoyed by the girls in 'The Chalet School Does It Again' while on a trip in Lucerne. It's a puff pastry dish filled with mushrooms and which type of meat?
Source: Author Kankurette
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor jmorrow
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.