Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Which food item comes from the etymological roots 'spear leek'?
2. What is the largest burrowing clam in the world?
It looks a bit naughty, so I hope the picture helps as a hint...
3. Ready for going 'nuts' the East Asian way? From soups to stir-fry everything is possible with these! Sweet and colorful glutinous rice balls prepared with them (Tang Yuan) are eaten at the celebration of Dongzhi, a Chinese winter solstice festival. What type of tree, which dates its ancestors back to middle Jurassic times, delivers its 'nuts' to be used in Chinese, Japanese and Korean cuisines?
4. What is the sweet, alcoholic mint flavored French beverage, loved by fictional Belgian detective Hercule Poirot?
5. What type of cheeses are Caprino, Ziegenkäse, and Valençay?
6. You might find delight in Italy munching Fontina cheese, but in which region do we get the real thing with the Matterhorn stamp to prove its origin?
7. Where is the gelatin isinglass obtained?
8. Jicama is a delicious tuber which is common in the Philippines, yet it is almost extinct from where is originated. Where did Jicama originate?
9. Kermes is a purple-red or crimson dye used from antique time on to color food. What source does it come from?
10. For a sweet end of this quiz: what worldwide staple food can also be used in puddings like arroz con leche in Spain, milchreis in Germany and kheer in India?
Source: Author heidi66
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor jmorrow
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.