Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. At the beginning of the story, a young Union soldier lay in a laurel bush with his hand on his rifle. What crime had he committed?
2. Why was the soldier, Carter Druse, positioned in that particular spot?
3. Carter Druse was only a few miles from his home in western Virginia. What had his wealthy father said when Carter had announced that he would join the Union army?
4. Carter, from his vantage point, eventually spied a horseman on a distant cliff. Which of these phrases is used to describe the horseman?
5. Eventually, the horseman turned and looked directly at Druse, though he couldn't actually see him. What was Druse's reaction?
6. Why could Carter not hope to capture the horseman?
7. Druse fired his weapon and shot the horseman.
8. What amazing sight does one of Druse's superiors witness from the bottom of the valley?
9. Who did the "Horseman in the Sky" turn out to be?
10. What is another of Bierce's stories that is set during the Civil War and has a shocking surprise ending?
Source: Author srfield99
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor agony
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.